Spoilers Star Trek: Prodigy 1x07 - "First Con-tact"

Discussion in 'Star Trek: Prodigy' started by Commander Richard, Jan 12, 2022.

?

Rate the episode...

1. 10 - Excellent!

8.0%
  2. 9

24.0%
  3. 8

41.3%
  4. 7

21.3%
  5. 6

4.0%
  6. 5

1.3%
  7. 4

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  8. 3

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  9. 2

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  10. 1 - Terrible.

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  1. Deks

Deks Vice Admiral Admiral

Plus there's nothing that says SF in the prime timeline (that we know and watch right now) couldn't develop same aesthetics and effects like the Kelvin verse.
    In fact, the Kelvin verse UFP might NOT be all too much more advanced than the UFP in the prime universe. Sure, scanning the Narada from shuttles would give them clues, to jump start on a few things, but otherwise, it probably wouldn't have amounted to a humongous leap that would make the technology much more advanced.

In fact, for all we know, design aesthetics and effects do not necessarily correspond with how efficient or powerful technology is... so prime verse SF could have had Kelvin-verse designs and effects already up and ready to be used in the 23rd century... but different choices in design and aesthetics were used due to differences in events... otherwise, how POWERFUL or advanced technology is... it could easily be both the Kelvin verse and prime verse UFP's are pretty similar century for century... and I posited earlier that some things (if not most of them) from the Kelvin verse might have ended up 'aligning' with the prime verse anyway... like the early TNG uniform we saw of a temporal agent as a holo copy that Kovach showed dr. Culber when explaining Georgiou's condition in the 32nd century.

Last edited: Jan 23, 2022
  2. hbquikcomjamesl

hbquikcomjamesl Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I'm pretty sure I saw it yesterday morning, to clear out my DVD player for yesterday's main event (Jack Warner's personally-funded movie of Edwards and Stone's 1776).

Yes, the singing crystal scene was beautiful. And overall, it was a good, albeit not spectacular, episode. I gave it an 8, which seems to be the consensus.

Nice to see that they've figured out how to use the transporter. About time they did. What was holo-Janeway thinking, anyway? And why are they still making planetfall?

3. Sirion

Sirion Lieutenant Junior Grade Red Shirt

I like "star trek Prodigy, but this episode is too predictable and completely isolated from the overall plot.
    In Star Trek, the Prime Directive is meant to be violated. The Federation organizes an annual Prime Directive jumping championship; hehe

Danja likes this.
  4. Wouter

Wouter Captain Captain

I agree this is one of Prodigy's weakest episodes (if not the weakest, out of the first 20), but it is not completely isolated.

Nandi is what allows the Diviner to upload Drednok to the vehicle replicator. It also influences the much better ep 8 in another way, by downing morale. Finally, it also shows Gwyn bonding with Dal in what is a continuing evolution from ep 1 to ep 10.

jackoverfull likes this.
  5. Wouter

Wouter Captain Captain

And in addition: it introduces the young audience to the prime directive, which is very much tied to the Diviner. The show may well question the pd later.

6. Sumire

Sumire Commander Red Shirt

Plus, for those of us who care about Dal, it tells us a great deal about his backstory. Who first raised him, how she raised him and how he ended up sold into slavery are pretty monumental character beats, especially for someone so young. I thought it was a pretty important episode because of that but apparently a lot of people were not as fond of Dal as I am.

Wouter likes this.
  7. Enterprise is Great

Enterprise is Great Vice Admiral Admiral

I find that Dal grows on you when he grows as a character. At least for me he does. I think it’s good because we want to see a character grow over time and not be static.

cooleddie74 likes this.