Spoilers Star Trek: Picard General Discussion Thread

https://deadline.com/2024/05/sony-p...ion-bid-for-whole-company-anymore-1235921657/

Sony & Paramount Sign Non-Disclosure Agreement Allowing Deal Talks To Start, But It’s Not Looking Like A $26 Billion Bid For Whole Company Anymore

Sony just wants the studio. Some industry players believe Apollo mostly wants the studio lot as a real estate play. Paramount Global’s CBS broadcast assets might need to be sold off. Sony might not be able to own them under foreign ownership regulations, and may not want to. As things stand, Apollo’s current station holdings would put it over the Congressionally mandated broadcast cap.

So far, nothing has happened yet.

A Sony/Apollo tie-up has a ton of regulatory issues attached to it (as a Japanese company, Sony is legally prohibited from owning an American broadcast network).

Sony/Apollo swallowing up Paramount would bring up antitrust issues (one less studio in Hollywood).

Aside from the fact that Shari Redstone doesn't want to break up Paramount Global.

A deal could take months, even years, to go through (assuming it happens at all).

Two more possible buyers:

https://www.thewrap.com/paramount-special-committee-recommends-skydance-sweetened-offer/

The Journal reports that Hollywood producer Steven Paul has also been lining up financing for a bid for National Amusements of around $3 billion and that at least one other investor group has also expressed interest in purchasing National Amusements, citing sources familiar with the matter. A representative for Paul did not immediately respond to TheWrap’s request for comment.

Paramount's Special Committee has now formally recommended the merger with Skydance:

https://www.thewrap.com/paramount-special-committee-recommends-skydance-sweetened-offer/

Paramount Special Committee Recommends Revised Offer From David Ellison’s Skydance Media

Paramount Global’s independent special committee agreed to recommend a revised offer from David Ellison’s Skydance Media, paving a way for the potential merger of his production company with the struggling media conglomerate, according to the Wall Street Journal and other media reports.

The decision, which follows months of negotiations, now puts the fate of the media conglomerate in the hands of controlling shareholder Shari Redstone.

Representatives for Paramount and Skydance declined to comment.

Last edited:
I'm curious to see what "surprises" Alex Kurtzman has in store for the franchise.

Hopefully, one of them will be #StarTrekLegacy (the show that a good portion of the fandom has been crawling over broken glass for -- the writers'/actors' strikes, the Paramount merger).

I'm curious to see what "surprises" Alex Kurtzman has in store for the franchise.

Hopefully, one of them will be #StarTrekLegacy (the show that a good portion of the fandom has been crawling over broken glass for -- the writers'/actors' strikes, the Paramount merger).
Again, none of that has anything to do with Picard at this point. The series is done.

Legacy is intended as a spinoff of Picard.

What has Seven of Nine done to merit having a cocktail named after her on Disco?

h/t:

IG: @thescorch1701

20240511-165138.jpg

Some of us would like to know!

There are those of us who want to see Seven command the E-G. How does she interact with a crew that's half her age? How does her shady past affect her decision-making today?

Seven's shady past makes her unlike any Captain the Enterprise has ever had. We want to see it.

Last edited:
We have one thread open about the chances of a Picard spinoff and another thread asking for a Captain Shaw series ... For the sake of consistency, why not move them too?

Why single out Legacy? I can discuss the chances of a hypothetical Picard spinoff occurring but not Legacy? A Picard spinoff? It makes no sense.

Legacy is about Picard -- a continuation of Picard S3 and a follow-up of "The Last Generation". It has everything to do with Picard.

I resent being silenced.

Last edited:
There are those of us who want to see Seven command the E-G. How does she interact with a crew that's half her age? How does her shady past affect her decision-making today?

Seven's shady past makes her unlike any Captain the Enterprise has ever had. We want to see it.

I don't think she would have a huge issue interacting with the crew. Her shady past is the more interesting part. She was basically a Space Vigilante for 25 years, a Borg for most of the 25 before that. Seven has grown quite a bit, but I think she spent a long time being her own worst enemy.

I can't help but think her whole "woe is me, Starfleet wouldn't accept a Borg" was probably... less true, and was more likely Seven being an absolutely incredulous pain the ass. I can see Post-Voyager Seven trying to get into Starfleet and Starfleet Command basically going "We can forgo the Academy due to experience, welcome aboard Ensign Hansen" and she throws a fit because she's not a Captain and feels that being an Ensign is beneath her and a waste of her talents.

If going with that theory, it's an interesting bit of irony that she kind of won in the end... and when she DID join Starfleet, she got in through a field commission by Picard as a Commander...

We have one thread open about the chances of a Picard spinoff and another thread asking for a Shaw series ... For the sake of consistency, why not move them too?

Why single out Legacy? I can discuss the chances of a hypothetical Picard spinoff occurring but not Legacy? A Picard spinoff? It makes no sense.

Legacy is about Picard -- a continuation of Picard S3 and a follow-up of "The Last Generation". It has everything to do with Picard.
At this point, yes, since all of these are hypothetical future of Trek topics. Paramount merging with another corporate entity has no bearing on a show that finished production last year.

We have one thread open about the chances of a Picard spinoff and another thread asking for a Captain Shaw series ... For the sake of consistency, why not move them too?

I resent being silenced.
The others are basically representing my own feelings on the topic. I'm fine with the future of Paramount being discussed in Future of Trek. I'm fine with Legacy being discussed here even though its status as something that would ever happen is highly dubious (and if it ever did get greenlit, it would arguably belong more in FoT as a separate project). Having the future of Paramount backdoored in because of its bearing on Legacy seems a step too far removed from Picard.

Back