Spoilers Star Trek: Picard General Discussion Thread

Discussion in 'Star Trek: Picard' started by Tuskin38, Sep 28, 2019.

1. Lord Garth

Lord Garth Admiral Admiral

One of my friends, a huge TNGer, watched Picard and hates it. That's going to make for some interesting discussion IRL...

Most everyone else I know IRL who watched it liked it, though. So it's not all bad.

SolarisOne and fireproof78 like this.
  2. frankieteardrop

frankieteardrop Commander Red Shirt

I didn't see this posted anywhere yet, but in Chabon's recent batch of Instagram Q&As, he shared part of his original pitch for Picard.

It sounds like he was originally planning for the Borg to be active antagonists. I'm glad the show wound up going in a different direction, because the concept of xBs and recovery allowed for exploring a completely different side of the Borg, and tied into Picard's own history and trauma in a meaningful way. Borg as baddies is kind of stale at this point. I do like the idea of theater company leader Picard, though.

3. Lord Garth

I think it sounds more Stewart than Picard. I could more easily see Crusher leading a theater company.

NCC-73515 likes this.
  4. frankieteardrop

frankieteardrop Commander Red Shirt

I could see Crusher in that role as well. Though, there were a few instances of Picard using the holodeck to coach Data through some Shakespeare monologues, so it seems plausible that he might have developed nostalgia for those days (and that activity with Data in particular) and got himself involved with a theater troupe.

It might make for a good "Picard finds himself in an alternate timeline" episode. :hugegrin:

NCC-73515 and Lord Garth like this.
  5. ThreeEdgedSword

ThreeEdgedSword Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Sounds mre like he's pulling our leg!

SolarisOne and Turtletrekker like this.
  6. fireproof78

fireproof78 Fleet Admiral Admiral

I checked the date first ;)

SolarisOne likes this.
  7. ThreeEdgedSword

ThreeEdgedSword Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Here's Steve Shives' take on the first season:
    He even speechifies a bit the Picard way!

Last edited: Apr 1, 2020
    SolarisOne and Lord Garth like this.
  8. Charles Phipps

Charles Phipps Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Turtletrekker and Lord Garth like this.
  9. Turtletrekker

Turtletrekker Admiral Admiral

10. eschaton

eschaton Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Some people seem to think that Jurati and Rios hooking up was gratuitous, even if no skin was shown whatsoever.

SolarisOne likes this.
  11. Charles Phipps

Honestly, I may have overstated my case there. The violence and swearing versus the sex because I stated that I approve of a more adult take on relationships.

12. fireproof78

fireproof78 Fleet Admiral Admiral

I would say "unnecessary" before I would say "gratuitous."

13. Charles Phipps

Lots of sexy robot/elf sex!

:)

14. SolarisOne

SolarisOne Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

*biological android
    Soji's people aren't like Data on the inside.

15. Noname Given

Noname Given Fleet Admiral Admiral

The majority of them were. Only Dahj and Soji were actually biological. (And of course Picard at the end.)

16. Grendelsbayne

Grendelsbayne Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I don't remember that being established anywhere. Some of them had yellow skin and gold eyes like Data, which one can postulate might point to them being the earlier generation and more 'data-like', but could also have been just a visual design choice. Also, there were other non-yellow synths in the community beyond just Soji, weren't there?

SolarisOne likes this.
  17. Aragorn

Aragorn Fleet Admiral Admiral

Wasn't sure where to put this. Was reading an article about "canon" in media and a few sentences made me think of this board. What do you think?

"Critics and fans alike are now less interested in actually interpreting a piece of media thematically or to engage with why they liked or disliked it, but instead to pick it apart and break it down to the base components of what are, essentially, its pure, unflinching facts."

"The hunger for facts above all else leads to things like 'filler episode' becoming a derogatory term for stories that don’t advance the larger ongoing plot of a narrative or don’t include some shocking new revelation that someone can add to a list. It predicates the gatekeeping act of being a fan that is built on how much you know about a thing over whether you actually enjoy that thing or not."

"The need robs discussions about the stories we get of nuance and interpretation, because who cares what you think happened when there’s an answer from the Word of God to that question you might have had?"

https://io9.gizmodo.com/our-fascination-with-canon-is-killing-the-way-we-value-1842590915

Masiral, TPezz, Llywela and 2 others like this.
  18. Gonzo

Gonzo Guest

Essentially some just want to have a moan so they can get it off their chest.

Especially if something happens that they categorically stated would never happen in a million years, which forces them to go on a major damage mitigation rant.

19. pst

pst Commodore Commodore

saga's disgusting fleshy eye begs to differ.

20. Lord Garth

I agree with this 100%. It's what's making it harder to interact with the "other side" now. Before I had no problem, even if I didn't see eye-to-eye with someone else. But now? Forget it. I have no problem with someone coming to a different conclusion than I did. But I do mind people looking for faults just to find faults. They're so busy trying to find something wrong with what they're watching that they're missing out on everything else. So when I bring up anything else, it's lost on them. They can't see it because they have tunnel vision. They're literally just out there looking for what's wrong and nothing else.

It's like Bruce Lee said, "Concentrate on the finger and you'll miss out on all the heavenly glory."

Masiral, Llywela, SolarisOne and 3 others like this.