Spoilers Star Trek: Lower Decks 3x09 - "Trusted Sources"

Discussion in 'Star Trek: Lower Decks' started by Commander Richard, Oct 18, 2022.

?

Rate the episode...

1. 10 - Excellent!

28.0%
  2. 9

22.6%
  3. 8

31.2%
  4. 7

10.8%
  5. 6

4.3%
  6. 5

2.2%
  7. 4

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  8. 3

1.1%
  9. 2

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  10. 1 - Terrible!

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  1. Anna Yolei

Anna Yolei Vice Admiral Admiral

I figured as much because of how soon in the episode she left.

Kraig likes this.
  2. Anna Yolei

Anna Yolei Vice Admiral Admiral

I'm one of the seemingly few people who is largely okay with shorter season of Trek over the bloated seasons of yore, but this show is by far the one exception. Maybe it's due to the nature of animation that doesn't allow for last minute script changes or edits, but the writing between both animated series hits it mark dead on more often than one and the only questionable episode of LD boils down more to personal taste than issues of concept. Even still, that episode is no "Threshold" or "Code of Honor"

Either that, or extend each ep another five minutes. Either way,more LD is a good thing.

3. IRW Bloodwing

IRW Bloodwing Commander Red Shirt

All I want to say re: the Texas-class is that Starfleet apparently has the institutional memory of a gnat. M-5 ring a bell?

Farscape One likes this.
  4. F. King Daniel

F. King Daniel Fleet Admiral Admiral

The bit about the "first ten or fifteen" years after Picard left being horrible was kinda hilarious but horrifying.

And I loved that mural.

Jedman67, burningoil and jackoverfull like this.
  5. Tuskin38

Tuskin38 Fleet Admiral Admiral

That was over 100 years ago, give it a break.

6. gweeps

gweeps Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Hooray! I missed it though.

7. Farscape One

Farscape One Vice Admiral Admiral

It's not just M-5. A.I.s gone wrong or becoming megalomaniacal killers is enough of a problem that there is an entire section dedicated to just that, based on where Agimus and Peanut Hamper ended up. So yes, I agree that Starfleet, or at least a part of it, is not learning their lessons well or keeping such things in mind.

Full automation without some kind of manual override in case something goes wrong is just plain stupid.

8. Imaus

Imaus Captain Captain

I could see the Texas Class ships being subverted and causing a whole lot of trouble needing flotillas to take down ala the Romulan Drone Ship and Connie M5 during the synth? crisis.

9. KamenRiderBlade

KamenRiderBlade Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I really hope they subvert that trope because DATA, 'The Doctor', along with Zora can be proof that AI, when not externally compromised by programming with ill intent; can be very beneficial.

It's similar to how humans who were compromised to do bad things by external factors forcing them to do such things.

There is always another side to the coin that you should look at.

Not all AI is Evil or will descend to Evil on it's own.

Think about what a fleet of "Smaller / Weaker" Drone Ships can do to help protect your borders.

Imagine how much "Fire Power" the USS Aledo has with all the advanced tech despite being a small autonomous platform.

Markonian likes this.
  10. Farscape One

I bolded your quote to prove my point. It has happened often enough that it's a trope. And with the exception of Zora, none of the examples were an actual ship fully equipped with weapons to destroy. It's like giving Skynet full control of all weapons... THE TERMINATOR clearly shows that is a bad move.

And I am talking as a huge fan of Data... he's the reason I became a scifi fan in the first place.

I am not saying all A.I. will turn bad, but not having a manual override on those ships in case it's compromised is irresponsible and plain stupid. Even compromised people can't do as much damage as one A.I. gone bad.

11. KamenRiderBlade

KamenRiderBlade Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

And when you have a Manual Over Ride / Back-Door, it can be abused as well.

That's why you limit the power output of your drones / vessels so that it's manageable.

12. Starkers

Starkers Admiral Admiral

For every Data there's a Lore, for every KITT a KARR :p

13. fireproof78

fireproof78 Fleet Admiral Admiral

Indeed. ANd Stafleet's history with AI should absolutely have overrides built in without question. Data took over the ENterprise by a prompt from his creator. He also captured Geordi, Picard and Troi by Lore's manipulations. AI has demonstrated repeatedly in Star Trek to need limitations.

Farscape One and jackoverfull like this.
  14. Mr. Laser Beam

Mr. Laser Beam Fleet Admiral Admiral

Why do I get the feeling there's more to the story of Brekka being overrun by the Breen?

Personally I think the Ornarans intentionally tipped off the Breen that Brekka might be useful as a target for invasion, in exchange for Ornara itself being spared.

Why would Ornara do this? As revenge for the Brekkians' exploitation of the Ornarans.

Oh, come on, don't even try to tell me you weren't wondering what the Ornarans would do once they found out what the Brekkians had been doing to them?

Oh, and the reason I just put all that in spoilercode was so the Fucking Lawyers(tm) wouldn't bitch about it being a “story idea”. :rolleyes:

Last edited: Oct 24, 2022
    Voltron64 likes this.
  15. DEWLine

DEWLine Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I'm expecting that "revelation" later this week.

16. Farscape One

I had pretty much the same theory.

Voltron64 likes this.
  17. Ianburns252

Ianburns252 Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

So Starbase 80 feels like the Federation equivalent of Grimsby (not sure what the US equivalent is)

I'm certain that the Admiral must have had intel about the Breen being in the system and sending the Ceritos there was a ploy - Operation Swing by (Fly by?) was never getting approved and it was purely to allow him to get publicity for the Texas class

Watching the various ship battles here makes me wish for a Dominion War flashback - for the 90s (and even to be fair for more recent times) DS9 did those fleet battles well but I honestly think that the animators on LDS could upstage them and make it even better

18. Kraig

Kraig Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Apple TV's Slow Horses feels like another equivalent.

Sci likes this.
  19. Ianburns252

Ianburns252 Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

I'd not heard of that show - looks interesting.

For non UK board members, Grimsby is a small town where you'd be called a witch for being able to do basic arithmetic

Starkers and Kraig like this.
  20. cooleddie74

cooleddie74 Fleet Admiral Admiral

The Warped Sector of the Demented Quadrant