Spoilers Star Trek: Lower Decks 2x05 - "An Embarrassment of Dooplers"

Discussion in 'Star Trek: Lower Decks' started by Commander Richard, Sep 8, 2021.

?

Rate the episode...

1. 10 - Excellent!

2. 9

3. 8

4. 7

5. 6

6. 5

7. 4

8. 3

9. 2

10. 1 - An embarrassment indeed.

Results are only viewable after voting.
  1. thribs

thribs Vice Admiral Admiral

Probably the same reason why God needs a starship

2. Michael

Michael Good Bad Influence Moderator

Why does any party or club need a bouncer? :confused:

3. Boris Skrbic

Boris Skrbic Commodore Commodore

Because there is no Starfleet honor code and/or security clearance to keep the guests in line. You come in with a communicator containing your ID and the system accepts it or not. Not even Boimler should’ve been able to enter as his transporter clone.

Kevman7987 likes this.
  4. Ianburns252

Ianburns252 Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

I'd suggest his actions in Sacrifice (or favours the bold - can't remember which was the retaking DS9 episode) breaking Kira and Rom out of jail would get him to at least war hero adjace as it allows them to help with taking the station back

dupersuper and Charles Phipps like this.
  5. cooleddie74

cooleddie74 Fleet Admiral Admiral

The Warped Sector of the Demented Quadrant
    Alcohol. :lol:

KimMH, Commander Troi and Kevman7987 like this.
  6. DEWLine

DEWLine Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

And not the synthehol varieties, either.

Commander Troi likes this.
  7. Boris Skrbic

In other news, I’m running into the same recurring issues with the show:

1) I want to see characters like Boimler and Mariner achieve their full potential as Starfleet officers (or outside of Starfleet if that’s where they need to be), not remain on the sidelines forever. At least I could never identify with proud Starfleet underachievers and had no problem with Wesley before “The First Duty”, so I’m not sure why McMahan thinks Star Trek fans are looking for main characters in these circumstances. Sure, everybody has difficulties, but the hope on Star Trek is that you work to overcome them and get somewhere by the end of an episode, and another, and another, like Barclay has. Otherwise it’s an ongoing tragedy and hard to reconcile with the notion that supposedly there is something to LOL about.

2) Exaggeration with respect to live action of this era (which is not the same as realism) is never funny, merely off and something to be filtered out of headcanon. If junior officers are stuck stacking crates, what happened to antigravs? I don’t buy the situation, so it detracts from the story in much the same way as continuity issues may on other shows.

3) References do nothing for me except break the fourth wall from time to time and let me know that someone did their research, which is easy enough these days. You need something, look it up on MA and elaborate on that for a new story.

Last edited: Sep 11, 2021
  8. Charles Phipps

Charles Phipps Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Eh, brad would still have his Titan communicator.

9. Boris Skrbic

It would’ve been returned, confiscated, flagged as missing and disabled…

10. Charles Phipps

Charles Phipps Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Yes, because that remotely resembles the Starfleet we know and love. Please. They'd have it presented to him in a little award dish after a nice party.

Note that the man didn't even check their ID, he just asked who they were and looked them up.

11. Boris Skrbic

Yes, so I’m not buying it and it’s not funny. If the Titan communicator had been gifted in that manner, the ID would’ve been altered appropriately.

12. BillJ

BillJ The King of Kings Premium Member

10. A show hat continues to know how to have fun. We watch it every week as a family.

13. BillJ

Starfleet security has been shit for several centuries. Deal with it.

14. JirinPanthosa

JirinPanthosa Admiral Admiral

I wasn't a fan of this episode. The personality of the dooplers was pretty cliche and annoying rather than funny.

Jadeb and Crewman6 like this.
  15. cooleddie74

"Where's Lazarus?"

"I don't know, Jim. This is a big ship."

16. BillJ

He even tells them he is going to take their dilithium and they can't stop him. :guffaw:

Commander Troi and cooleddie74 like this.
  17. cooleddie74

Yep. Which is odd considering that McCoy has to yell at Kirk to get a musclebound security officer out of Sickbay so he can treat Lazarus, which means security CAN watch him if they're ordered to.

Commander Troi and BillJ like this.
  18. Boris Skrbic

Why do you have to pull a completely unrelated example from a different era altogether? The question is whether or not Boimler carries a unique ID. It would be ridiculous if he didn’t, and Starfleet security isn’t supposed to be ridiculous (what would Worf say if asked about this in hypothetical dialogue?), even if it’s sometimes written carelessly or bent for dramatic purposes.

19. BillJ

Starfleet security, even though they are allies and had been long time enemies, didn't know that Klingons carried weapon components in their armor or didn't confiscate it. See: "Heart of Glory"

But Star Trek, across all iterations, is largely ridiculous. You've got to learn to live with that.

Commander Troi and cooleddie74 like this.
  20. cooleddie74

It's a franchise where a subspace mushroom network spanning the galaxy can propel a starship thousands of light years in one jump. I think Starfleet security being lax in either century is something we can handle.