News Star Trek Fleet Command - Discussion

Discussion in 'Trek Gaming' started by think, Nov 5, 2018.

1. saddestmoon

saddestmoon Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

I’ve just left my alliance, so can you please advise what the name of the Trek BBS group is, and I’ll try and join. Thanks! :)

2. David cgc

David cgc Admiral Premium Member

It's just "[TBBS] TrekBBS." Like I said, different players seem to be siloed into different servers, so it's entirely possible no two people on the BBS are actually going to be playing on the same server, and thus won't be able to see any of the same Alliances. No one has joined mine, which is honestly a little weird. I guess I missed the gold rush of new players going through the tutorial on Friday.

3. saddestmoon

Thanks for Letting me know: I tried searching for it, but nothing comes up (as based on earlier findings, it’s still an issue).

:(

I’ve rejoined my previous alliance in the interim.

Once we get the option of crossing over to other servers, I’ll give it another shot!

Last edited: Dec 3, 2018
    think likes this.
  4. rahullak

rahullak Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I tried searching for "[TBBS] TrekBBS", did not come up for me either :(

5. David cgc

Honestly, I'm not sure how long I'll be able to maintain an interest. I appreciate the concite more than "Timelines," but in the end it's just another "Click then wait" game. It's a shame, because even putting aside the as-expected deceptive cinematic trailers, the game feels like a combination of two of my favorite sci-fi games, Escape Velocity and Homeworld, but they took all the gameplay out and replaced it with free-to-play timer BS. I know that's where the money is, but I feel like the game's concept would be a lot more fun as a computer game, where you could actually see what's going on in enough detail to operate it effectively (yeah, because isn't it great having to peak through one system at a time to find the rare dilithium or tritanium asteroids rather than just having that sort of info visible on the map?), and they could incorporate some action-mechanics so combat isn't just two tiny ships flying in a circle firing generic, arcing(?) projectiles, but has some fun (either an RTS-style slugfest, or an arcade-style control scheme where you can maneuver and whatnot, so it's not an automatic failure to challenge a ship above your level, but you can pull it out if you're good at playing the game).

Or, alternatively, a stripped-down, arcade-style action game for mobile. It's been done before. You can boil the genre down far enough so it's still fun on a phone. Or, at least, you could. The first two examples that come to mind, the Star Wars Trench Run arcade flight-sim and Crimson: Steam Pirates are both obsolete and unavailable on current devices. Most of non-free-to-play games I've seen recently are going hard in on depth in a way I don't think a phone can support. But, I'm not the one who's making money off these things, so what do I know about what people like?

think likes this.
  6. Timofnine

Timofnine Saintly henchman of Santa Premium Member

I cant seem to find the Trekbbs alliance/fleet? I'm Timofnine in the game btw (duh!).

think likes this.
  7. saddestmoon

TBH: I also find the server / inability to join alliances issues rather taxing on this games enjoyment.

I hope the developers fix this soon, as it renders the ability to create an alliance and invite members void, if one can’t actually do that (outside of the default alliances that are available, based on what appears to be geographically). I’m based in New Zealand - and currently I can only join alliances created by either NZ or Australian members (or so it appears).

Otherwise, aside from that, I’m still enjoying the gameplay itself!

8. David cgc

Well, my unofficial TBBS alliance filled out abruptly today. I didn't recognize any of the usernames (though that's not conclusive; my gaming name is "Hazzenkockle"), so I guess it was just a fresh batch of new players.

think likes this.
  9. rahullak

Well, that's one way to advertise TBBS.

10. JD

JD Fleet Admiral Admiral

I keep looking for this on Google Play but it hasn't come up.

11. saddestmoon

Hi peeps!

My review:

Been playing since it first came out, fairly solidly, and am enjoying it still.

Pros:

- fairly easy to pickup (I don’t usually play app-based games)

- love the music! :)

- the mission / dialogue scenes have been written well, and entirely in the vein of Kelvinverse Trek: characters are well realised (lotsa banter between the leads eg: Kirk, Bones, Spock, Scotty, Uhura, etc).

- Nice to see lotsa Prime characters and missions based on TOS, TOS movies, Enterprise, etc (General Chang, Nausica, to name two examples).

- Ship warping effect is good (when locating a starship while at warp)

- starship designs are awesome, and great to see more Kelvinverse ships!

Cons

- limiting to be designated to a localised server, as would be nice to be able to join an alliance with members of TrekBBS

:)

think and publiusr like this.
  12. rahullak

I am enjoying it as well. Although, where does the banter between the leads come in? I haven't been able to notice, and I think I've checked out pretty much all the options/screens.

Just built an Orion Corvette and along with the Realta have 2 ships. Is there a way to group them and perform common actions on both at the same time? Help much appreciated!

:)

13. saddestmoon

The banter I’m referring to takes place between the mission scenes - where characters are (usually) given exposition / context as the scenes play out.

One occasion: I chose a mission to rescue the crew of the Enterprise, involving Uhura breaking starfleet rules, by commandeering a shuttle without permission to notify me that the crew were in danger. Having undertaken the task, in the final stage of the mission, Spock reprimands Uhura somewhat (in his typically Vulcan way, and based on his Kelvinverse characterisation) but then acknowledges that she has ensured the survival of the crew - while Uhura challenges Spock’s assertion that if she hadn’t acted, they wouldn’t be having this discussion, etc.

As far as grouping ships in manner you’ve described, I’ve not discovered anything like that, and am not sure if possible (currently).

I have four level 14 starships: a Realta, a Phindra, and the ECS Fortunate (mining ship), as well as an Orion corvette - and I can only select x2 ships at a time.

14. rahullak

Thanks. You're way ahead! :)

15. saddestmoon

You’ll get there!

TBH, I’m in a fairly lowly-scoring alliance (in comparison to others on my server), and we are frequently picked off when mining by ‘bigger fish’ alliances. I’m also not partaking in microtransctions, so have quite a ways to catchup with the big players.

Space... is full of disease and danger, wrapped in death and silence! ;)

think and rahullak like this.
  16. starbuck

starbuck Captain Captain

never got into it

think likes this.
  17. The Butter Phantom

The Butter Phantom Lieutenant Commander Red Shirt

The game has made $50M since launch. The publisher just bought the developer as a result.

18. David cgc

I deleted it after I started getting griefers that were referring to some kind of bizarre code of etiquette no one told me about, rather than griefers who were just assholes who paid 50 bucks for a Jellyfish. It was way more irritating that after days of tedious mining to get enough material to level up (since it required more than I could store at that level, natch) I got it all stolen by someone claiming I was "over my limit" rather than it being completely arbitrary.

It's sad such a good Star Trek skin was wrapped around such terrible core gameplay. If you took the art assets and plot and put them over an Elite clone rather than Farmville But With Jackasses, I'd easily pay $30 or $40 for it.

think likes this.
  19. Phily B

Phily B Commodore Commodore

I've started playing this fairly recently. It's something I just log onto every so often, but man, the prices for stuff is ridiculous. What a cancerous model.

saddestmoon and think like this.
  20. PHULISHHART

PHULISHHART Cadet Newbie

The game has had more glitches it the 2 and a half years I have played it, it is a grinder to play, packs cost too much, the only pack that is worth buying is the 20 dollar monthly battle pass pack that they started at the begining of last year. It has more glitches than DOS 3.0 and Windows 1.0 combined. They roll out a new arc every month, but inevitably it has a glitch and they have to give out gift to smooth out the feathers of the players. One arc took over 12 hours to straighten out. It seems like they use the players as their beta testers. The only reason I have played so long is the people I have chatted with in game.