Spoilers Star Trek: Discovery 4x06 - "Stormy Weather"

Rate the episode...

• Total voters
The transporter is a constant problem and has been for decades. So, it comes down to inventing tech to break it. Feels as cheap as anything else Trek is doing.

The transporter is a constant problem and has been for decades. So, it comes down to inventing tech to break it. Feels as cheap as anything else Trek is doing.
At least it makes logical sense if you have a jamming field up that prevents transporting.

It fulfills the logical requirements on how to counter said tech.

Otherwise it creates a larger logic gap as to why that person wasn't saved.

One line is all it takes.

At least it makes logical sense if you have a jamming field up that prevents transporting.

It fulfills the logical requirements on how to counter said tech.

Otherwise it creates a larger logic gap as to why that person wasn't saved.
It does.

And Star Trek does it a lot. It's not logical but it is what it is.

ETA: And before I get accused of saying that past Trek did something then it is ok Discovery does it, I am not. I find it annoying but I won't take points away for it.

Last edited:
Cortez, despite being a trained "Yellow Shirt" in StarFleet, isn't blessed with "Plot armor" and dies immediately by getting sucked out into space, and nobody beams his body up immediately.
The anomaly was within inches of the hull and the shields were obviously at the failure point for the hull to be dissolving.
As soon as he was sucked out he was immolated.
There was nothing to beam back in.

Anyway, Zora was still in the midst of her crisis, she will probably regret her actions that resulted in his death for the rest of her existence.

I believe that she thought he would activate his own transporter device in time...
He obviously panicked at the last moment and didn't.

Last edited:
This was a great episode. I got a lot of Where Silence Has Lease vibes from it.

I never realized just how much I missed seeing an episode about being trapped by something weird out in space and the crew has to figure a way out of it.

Nah, that's just box ticking.
Maybe that's how you feel, you're entitled to that.

But to me, it's part of the greater cohesive logic of the world and the consequences of said tech being used in that world.

You have Zora, an AI that's been monitoring the ship and the crew, yet she couldn't save Cortez.

-_-

Data wouldn't have had that issue if he was connected to the ships main functions and had control over it.

Yeah, though as with Tom Paris's interest in the 20th century, it's something of an established pattern for the character given Zora's previous interests in Funny Face and Buster Keaton films. If she starts showing the crew episodes of Paw Patrol or something I'll have bigger questions.
I made the joke in another forum, but if the writers were going to go fanservicey anyway, they could have had her sing Sabotage since it's a famous Captain's favourite piece of classical music. lol

But yeah, like I said, I totally get it but it kills the world building for me. We live in an age where people barely go back to consume media that's from the 90s - which is why everything is being remade instead - so the idea of people in the future being so obsessed with the equivalent of Homer seems rather silly to me.

But yeah, like I said, I totally get it but it kills the world building for me. We live in an age where people barely go back to consume media that's from the 90s - which is why everything is being remade instead - so the idea of people in the future being so obsessed with the equivalent of Homer seems rather silly to me.
You and I hang out with very different people.

Also, Trek has repeatedly shown the characters being obsessed with Earth history.

Back