Spoilers Star Trek: Discovery 3x13 - "That Hope Is You, Part 2"

Discussion in 'Star Trek: Discovery' started by Commander Richard, Jan 6, 2021.

?

Rate the episode...

1. 10 - Excellent!

23.8%
  2. 9

17.4%
  3. 8

18.9%
  4. 7

11.7%
  5. 6

6.8%
  6. 5

4.9%
  7. 4

1.9%
  8. 3

3.4%
  9. 2

2.3%
  10. 1 - Terrible!

9.1%
  1. jackoverfull

jackoverfull Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

possible: yes, but not common, as you write.

well, the huge chasm is definitely going up there with the salamanders and space ghosts.

agreed.

I found the basic concept potentially interesting and the eventual resolution great, also they had obviously invested some money and thought in the interdimentional ship, something rare for tos. unfortunately the script was REALLY badly written and made very little sense.
    Thankfully the alternate universes idea was tackled much better with Mirror Mirror (and even better with Parallels, on TNG).

cooleddie74 likes this.
  2. Vger23

Vger23 Vice Admiral Admiral

That is one of the best scenes in the entire history of the franchise right there.

cooleddie74 likes this.
  3. cooleddie74

cooleddie74 Fleet Admiral Admiral

The Warped Sector of the Demented Quadrant
    Robert Brown is one of the greatest scenery chewers to ever get hired for a Star Trek episode or movie. The man has gravitas and delivered lines with commitment.

Phaser Two and Vger23 like this.
  4. Nerys Myk

Nerys Myk A Spock and a smile Premium Member

Lines that were written moments before he had to say them.

Phaser Two and Deledrius like this.
  5. cooleddie74

cooleddie74 Fleet Admiral Admiral

The Warped Sector of the Demented Quadrant
    The dude has chops.

Phaser Two likes this.
  6. Timelord Victorious

Timelord Victorious Vice Admiral Admiral

EnsignRedshirt likes this.
  7. NCC-73515

NCC-73515 Vice Admiral Admiral

Like opera singers breaking glasses XD :rofl:

8. NCC-73515

NCC-73515 Vice Admiral Admiral

I watched S1 again only 2 years later and thought it was not as bad as I remembered ;)

Lord Garth likes this.
  9. dswynne1

dswynne1 Captain Captain

The reason for the low rating on my part (7/10) was that how the conflict was resolved was not "Star Trek". I look at how Kirk and crew dealt with their antagonists in TOS, and, for the most part, the "bad guy" didn't get "blown up" or something. I think it would have been better if Burnham, having every justification in killing Osyrra for what she has done, wounded her instead. This would surprise Osyrra, convinced that she was going to be killed by Starfleet. "No, Osyrra," Burham says, as she continues to level her weapon at the fallen leader of the Emerald Chain, even as she adjust her weapon on stun. "Killing you would let you off the hook for you have done, and you are going to stand trial for your crimes." BLAM! Then, Burnham saves the day (Yay!). Just saying...

10. Claudia

Claudia Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Overall, season 3 was better than season 2... but that's not saying much.

The Burn and the reason for it... okay... but are we sure that the guy will find any peace? I mean he's responsible for destroying warp travel etc so there will be some repercussions (even if not official ones).

The Emerald Chain... well... oops screen time runs out, so we blow everything up and everything's okay.

Is Stamets still necessary, now that Booker can navigate Discovery?

The ending was strange, felt more like a series-ending than a season-ending... and I thought the TOS-credit music didn't really fit.

Not sure whether I'll tune in next season, there's still not really a character I actually like, they're all pretty pale, and I really don't like Burnham's breathy dramatic voice... But I said that at the end of season 2 as well... *shrug

jackoverfull likes this.
  11. Angry Fanboy

Angry Fanboy Captain Captain

Is Culber necessary if Pollard is also a doctor? Is Detmer necessary if there are other pilots onboard?

12. Lord Garth

Lord Garth Admiral Admiral

Putting all your eggs in one basket is never a good idea. If something happens to Stamets, they can't use the Spore Drive. Book still knows more about the galaxy than Discovery (or Starfleet for that matter). Being a guide and negotiator will probably be his main function. He's like a much cooler version of Neelix. And he can help with the Spore Drive as an added bonus. But that won't be his main thing.

13. Angry Fanboy

Booker versus Stamets is novice versus expert anyway.

Phaser Two and Deledrius like this.
  14. darrenjl

darrenjl Lieutenant Commander Red Shirt

I wonder if Book's species become the answer to the Federation rolling out the spore drive.

antinoos, Lord Garth and Deledrius like this.
  15. TimeIsAPredator

TimeIsAPredator Commodore Commodore

Should have arrested her and made her stand trial. That would have tied in very nicely with Vance plea to Osyraa and also Vance new found respect for Burnham

Also it would have meant we could of had Discovery II : Wrath of Osyraa :hugegrin:

16. Angry Fanboy

Probably.

17. Tuskin38

Tuskin38 Fleet Admiral Admiral

Rewatching the final battle, I don’t think discovery is firing any of those beams, as there’s shield impact FX anytime there’s a beam on her, I think it’s just the other fed ships using beams, Discovery is only firing pulses and torpedoes.

edit: Hm wait there are a couple shots where beams are impacting the other federation ships, so maybe both are

18. NX_01

NX_01 Ensign Red Shirt

This is so .....
    This renders everyone with a dilithium reserve beeing able to wipe out all D. in the universe.

19. Timo

Timo Fleet Admiral Admiral

It's a nice addition to Trek's line of adventures where local conditions affect the biological nature of those exposed within a single generation. It's just new here that the changes happened to somebody sitting on the surface of a miracle of nature...

Something like this happened once before, only backstage: TAS "Slaver Weapon" backstory involves a telepathic bomb killing all sentient life in Milky Way, but the backstory isn't incorporated in full in the aired version. Spock's line regarding the galaxy-wide extinction is a bit more ambiguous there, but the scale at least is evident, and makes one wonder if Burns happen with some frequency after all.

Timo Saloniemi

jackoverfull and fireproof78 like this.
  20. Timelord Victorious

Timelord Victorious Vice Admiral Admiral

No.
    Because it’s heavily implied that the ginormous concentration of dilithium in the Verubin nebula and on the planet specifically made this possible.
    Any reserve anyone has, will not be enough to have these wide reaching effects.
    Don’t underestimate how big a planet is, and a huge percentage of that mass is dilithium.

antinoos, SJGardner and fireproof78 like this.