Spoilers Star Trek: Discovery 3x09 - "Terra Firma, Part 1"

Discussion in 'Star Trek: Discovery' started by Commander Richard, Dec 9, 2020.

?

Rate the episode...

1. 10 - Excellent!

17.0%
  2. 9

22.0%
  3. 8

19.5%
  4. 7

16.5%
  5. 6

9.0%
  6. 5

5.5%
  7. 4

4.0%
  8. 3

1.5%
  9. 2

2.0%
  10. 1 - Terrible!

3.0%
  1. Nerys Myk

Nerys Myk Cartoon Premium Member

It's a guess based on using the same actress. Which is why I placed quotes around the name.

2. Discofan

Discofan Admiral Admiral

Ok, I am convinced. It must be her.

Markonian and 137th Gebirg like this.
  3. JoseNoodles

JoseNoodles Lieutenant Commander Red Shirt

Right, hence my question about whether this is a vision/hallucination or something like "Tapestry" where a person gets to alter their past without seemingly altering all of history. In the case of the latter, Carl would better work as a Q than than a Guardian of Forever. Still waiting for canon to be supposedly destroyed though.

4. Iconian

Iconian Lieutenant Commander Red Shirt

I wonder why time soldier Yor was specifically identified as belonging to the Kelvin universe. Do you think a crossover episode will take place down the road?

5. 137th Gebirg

137th Gebirg Admiral Premium Member

I think they're keeping their options open with that one, particularly since the feature films have ostensibly stalled. Paramount/ViaCom/CBS are once again all under the same roof and the various TV shows seem to be immediate future of the franchise. They know people still want to see KU material, but they don't want to go all the way with new movies right now. It makes sense that they would possibly maneuver to bring the Kelvin crew under the All Access umbrella to appeal to that fanbase and get more streaming subscribers. I say, why not? :)

DEWLine and J.D. like this.
  6. F. King Daniel

F. King Daniel Fleet Admiral Admiral

Went in an unexpected direction with the MU stuff, looks like this is Georgiou's "Tapestry" and something shining a light on her softening since crossing over. Mirror Michael was unhinged. They teased Lorca so much I'm hoping he'll be back for part 2, or that we'll meet Prime Lorca somehow.

Didn't get the guy and the door being a reimagined Guardian of Forever, I was thinking they'd found a Q.

jackoverfull likes this.
  7. Nyotarules

Nyotarules Vice Admiral Moderator

Watching for a second time. SMG seems to be enjoying herself as an over the top baddie. I guess this is the version of the Mirror universe where T'Pol and Spock can be XOs in the Terran Imperial Starfleet, and Terrans don't eat sentient aliens for dinner.
    So 'Guardian' Carl uses Mirror Phillipa to correct the DISC Mirror reality? Its the only way Mirror Spock can eventually destroy the Terran empire.
    PG makes peace with the Vulcans, turns them into Imperial partners and promises Sarek some fancy top job and helps his son Spock's career.

8. JoseNoodles

JoseNoodles Lieutenant Commander Red Shirt

It would be a shame not do a crossover considering they mention the Abramsverse. I also wonder a lot about Yor. He was a "time soldier", presumably involved in the Temporal Cold War and the subsequent Temporal War. So maybe he was jumping around time a whole lot (which is bad) and the crossover was the last straw that did him in. I wish we knew more about him, like where he traveled in time through exactly and at what point he crossed into the primeverse, as well as who he was working for. Kovich's comments were probably meant to be definitive, but the goddamn TNG Season 1 uniform throws a monkey wrench into things.

Markonian likes this.
  9. NewHeavensNewEarth

NewHeavensNewEarth Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

It was nice seeing Burnham and Georgiou walking together again, like in the series premiere. I half-expected Zora's directions to lead them into making another Starfleet delta (in the snow instead of sand). ;)

10. Kevman7987

Kevman7987 Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Carl may be neither a Q nor a Guardian of Forever. Star Trek is known to have had god-like entities living on random non-inhabited planets that show up for only one episode, never to be explained or seen again.

Or Carl may be a member of the Carl Continuum that spends some of his time reading newspapers on that planet and the rest of his time as a Las Vegas detective in the early 2000s.

I gotta admit that when I first saw him there reading a newspaper in a suit that my immediate thought was, "Anubis is back again and reading the Ascended Times? Is this where he goes when he leaves the diner?"

11. Gilora

Gilora Lieutenant Commander Red Shirt

Hence my mention of the second one.

12. Gilora

Gilora Lieutenant Commander Red Shirt

These are the same photos I linked to.

137th Gebirg likes this.
  13. jackoverfull

jackoverfull Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

in a way it’s just a little Easter egg, in another it was a good way to mention it in a more or less relevant way.

not anytime soon. But one day for sure.

137th Gebirg likes this.
  14. Nyotarules

Prime Spock died in 2263, five years after he turned up in 2258, thats a short time period for a Vulcan

15. Lord Garth

Lord Garth Vice Admiral Admiral

Plus he was "only" 162 when he died (157 years in the Prime Timeline, five in the Kelvin). I used to rationalize it as the Human Half shortening his lifespan, but now I think it might've been the Temporal/Universal Displacement Combo.

16. Nyotarules

Or he faked his death and returned to the Prime universe, doing Vulcan weddings with Elvis in Vegas

17. Gingerbread Demon

Gingerbread Demon You can't mesmerize me I'm British Premium Member

But what if it's not an illusion because if you noticed she had the bracelet that they gave her still on and it was green showing her condition was OK in the MU. Plus she was actively trying to hide it.

So Quarl is the Guardian or a Q

Unimatrix Q likes this.
  18. 137th Gebirg

137th Gebirg Admiral Premium Member

So is it Carl, Karl or Quarl? I’ve seen 3 spellings now. FWIW, both IMDB and episode CC had him as Carl.

19. Gingerbread Demon

Gingerbread Demon You can't mesmerize me I'm British Premium Member

I'm using the Quarl spelling because it's cool

20. SJGardner

SJGardner Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

They originally intended it to be a cameo by Armin Shimerman, but their finger slipped and hit "L" instead of "K". Never one to admit failure, Kurtzman decided it will be a new character.