Spoilers Star Trek: Discovery 2x09 - "Project Daedalus"

Discussion in 'Star Trek: Discovery' started by Commander Richard, Mar 14, 2019.

?

Hit it!

1. 10 - Control approves.

19.2%
  2. 9

31.0%
  3. 8

27.2%
  4. 7

11.3%
  5. 6

4.6%
  6. 5

2.5%
  7. 4

1.7%
  8. 3

1.7%
  9. 2

0.4%
  10. 1 - Utter kaos!

0.4%
  1. Timo

Timo Fleet Admiral Admiral

We still don't know why our heroes had to brave the minefield in the first place.

I mean, the S31 station was there within visual range. The heroes wanted to beam aboard, and eventually did. What was the point of flying through the minefield first?

Sure, we could argue the station was defended against transport; it was a former prison, after all. Perhaps transporters could only get through the shields from up close for some reason? When our TOS heroes tried to penetrate prison shields in "Dagger of the Mind" or "Whom Gods Destroy", they didn't exactly have the option of flying their ship right next to the shields, even if it would have helped - those prisons were on planets with atmospheres. Then again, starships can demonstrably cope with atmospheric flight and gravity better than they can with mines! (And while Class C shuttles have transporters, they aren't famed for coping with mines. Yet. So it's a good thing our heroes didn't try out that option!)

As for other means of access, the station had airlocks. It also appeared to have a boxy hangar for spacecraft at the very bottom, in DS K-7 style. The place hosted four admirals, and had a dozen levels with life support; surely it had plenty of means for personnel ingress and egress. And plenty of personnel! How Control had gotten rid of everybody is not known: there was that dried blood that apparently didn't come from the admirals, but the AI could also simply have issued orders for personnel to scoot.

Timo Saloniemi

2. Timelord Victorious

Timelord Victorious Vice Admiral Admiral

You have a station being run by an evil AI able to create fake holographic people.
    You have a station full of inherently mistrusting people seeing and creating conspiracies everywhere with deadly weapons at their disposal.
    I can imagine a scenario where the AI can very easily sow distrust among the crew to the point where they start killing each other like in that one DS9 episode, even without any mind control.

3. Nyotarules

Nyotarules Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

No one expects a white actor, with natural straight hair, playing the part of a Vulcan to wear an afro looking wig do they? There is/was no production reason to straighten the hair of a female black actor, whether its a bowl hair cut or otherwise. All it does is expose the real life racial, cultural ignorance of the production team. If you do not understand my post ask any black female that you know about the cultural pressure of straightening their hair texture, and the traditional, denigration of natural, afro textured, black hair.
    There is a reason why relaxers and hair weaves are a billion dollar industry.
    When the TNG producers decided that Vulcans were not only light, bright, and damn near (greeny) white there was no reason to give them hair textures different from the real life ethnic origins of the actors. I give them a pass since it was the 90's, its now 2019 they can at least broaden their imagination and stop treating eurocentric hair texture as the default.

Last edited: Mar 22, 2019
    Agents of HYDRA likes this.
  4. Timo

Timo Fleet Admiral Admiral

That's 2010s, though. If bigots like Ben Sisko persist with blowing their fuses over grossly outdated racist ideas in the 2370s, that's their prerogative. Might simply be neither Sarek nor Burnham were particularly racist, nor was there any particular stigma against doing your hair in the 2250s any longer.

The problem there is that our heroes didn't spot corpses. Except for those of the four admirals, that is, and they were killed with an extremely blunt instrument - a deckwide and possibly stationwide shutting down of life support.

It would be vastly preferable for the bulk of personnel at that installation to depart, rather than to perish. And Control ought to achieve that easily enough, by telling these people to go places. Traveling is a big part of the contract they signed, supposedly, and not asking questions is another.

Conversely, I doubt the four admirals really lived aboard that installation; they would have been invited in, under pretenses, or would have arrived to kickstart a project that then cost them their lives. Perhaps their arrival is what turned this "forward operating base" into (temporary, but that's cloak and dagger ops for you) "headquarters", justifying Cornwell's weird change of terminology in mid-dialogue?

Timo Saloniemi

5. Four Lights

Four Lights Lieutenant Commander Red Shirt

The last three episodes have been making a better and more convincing attempt to be emotionally resonant. Certainly it's an improvement in that regard on anything Braga managed in his last few years. They've also thought outside the box a bit more on this year's big reveal with the Red Angel. Pacing and structure holds together better too. Emperor Georgiou is still a car crash of a character though. What on earth are the producers thinking?

Turtletrekker likes this.
  6. eschaton

eschaton Commodore Commodore

Honestly, it never made sense to me - since Vulcan is overall a hot and arid world with a thinner atmosphere - that Vulcans were mostly white. I mean, I don't think the spectral class of the star of the Vulcan system was ever categorically said, but Vulcan almost certainly has higher levels of ultraviolet radiation than Earth, which should mean darker skin.

Agents of HYDRA likes this.
  7. Rainard Fox

Rainard Fox Lieutenant Red Shirt

What about dozens of white actors who portrayed Othello? Anyway, changing appearance is a part of actor's job.

8. Timelord Victorious

Timelord Victorious Vice Admiral Admiral

A white actor as Othello is problematic if the whole point is that the character is black specifically.
    With the exception of that one time Patrick Stewart played him in a role reversal situation while the rest of the cast was black. But that kept the theme of racial outcast intact.

9. saladdays

saladdays Commander Red Shirt

If that's your final opinion, fine. But I (and others) have already expressed a different opinion on this that you seem to want to ignore. I'm not going to reiterate here.

You don't need to lecture me. I am ignorant by any means. And, based on previous comments in this thread, I beg to differ. I have no clue, of course, what race or ethnicity you are, but I think we've even had a dark complexioned individual comment that did not quite share your opinion (I truly hope that doesn't offend that person by (somewhat) singling them out).

Why do you keep ignoring that black actors have played Vulcans without a bowl cut?

And to conclude, I truly do understand that things like this have been, and continue to be, a problem. But I do not think this is a time where it is a problem, and painting the production staff with a broad brush and labeling them ignorant is just unfair.

burningoil, Alan Roi and Gilora like this.
  10. Gilora

Gilora Lieutenant Commander Red Shirt

When they shave Spock down, I hope they don't have Ethan Peck -- another handsome guy -- wear one of those hideous wigs.

Nyotarules likes this.
  11. Ghost Minion Dave

Ghost Minion Dave Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

But because of Control's control of the station, it's highly likely that they would not have been able to get in through any of the airlocks.

12. Nyotarules

The only race allowed to be diverse in modern versions of Trek are humans cos we are soooo special.

13. Gilora

Gilora Lieutenant Commander Red Shirt

Let's not forget the previously mentioned Tuvok and Terral.

14. Nyotarules

yeah 2.

Gilora likes this.
  15. Longinus

Longinus Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Whilst generally I'd wish Trek aliens would display more individualism in their stylistic choice, Vulcans are the one case where most of the population opting for 'the most logical haircut' makes some sense. However, if your hair happens to be naturally curly, straightening it doesn't seem very logical to me.

Gilora likes this.
  16. urbandefault

urbandefault Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I tend to agree, but really, the most logical haircut is a buzz and a shave. Vulcans should, logically, be cue balls. :techman:

17. MakeshiftPython

MakeshiftPython Commodore Commodore

I only just watched this last night along with "The Red Angel".

Pretty neat that they have the original Airiam actress now taking Airiam 2.0's ship position.

Funnily, even though she never had an episode focused her, having her around from the start at least helps me buy in that the crew would be upset at her loss. This is in contrast to how VOYAGER used to handle things, where they just flat out introduce a totally new character that everyone had been friends with since the beginning. I think the worst was "Ashes", featuring a character returning to the dead that Harry Kim had feelings for.

The only time this method worked perfectly was in "Latent Image" because that story was from the Doctor's perspective of learning about a crewmember he doesn't remember because Janeway erased his memories of her.

DS9 kinda tried this with introducing O'Brien's assistant in the back half of S1, to later be revealed as an assassin for the finale.

I just think it's too bad Airiam did not get more to do prior. Sounds like she was basically RoboCop only she had her own agency. There's still some human in her, but how much of her former self was there left?

18. Phoenix219

Phoenix219 Commodore Commodore

Yup. Heroes definitely contributed to ruining the reboot movies for me. Couldn't stand Spock, or get over Kirk's quick promotion.

Longinus and Agents of HYDRA like this.
  19. drt

drt Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Did they ever establish how far they were away in dialog? One of the issues Star Trek has had in the past (obviously, so that everything looks good on your television) is a disconnect between dialog and visuals when it comes to distances in space. How many times has a crew member said such and such ship are x kilometers apart then when the view switches to that outside the ship the distance appears to be about 150 feet?

20. Agents of HYDRA

Agents of HYDRA Captain Captain

I love Heroes (the first couple of seasons, anyway,) and Sylar is one of my favorite characters in that franchise. Which is exactly why Quinto will never be Spock to me.

Last edited: Mar 23, 2019
    Phoenix219 likes this.