Spoilers Star Trek: Discovery 2x09 - "Project Daedalus"

Discussion in 'Star Trek: Discovery' started by Commander Richard, Mar 14, 2019.

?

Hit it!

1. 10 - Control approves.

19.2%
  2. 9

31.0%
  3. 8

27.2%
  4. 7

11.3%
  5. 6

4.6%
  6. 5

2.5%
  7. 4

1.7%
  8. 3

1.7%
  9. 2

0.4%
  10. 1 - Utter kaos!

0.4%
  1. saladdays

saladdays Commander Red Shirt

Do share.

And I think it's telling that you used snark to respond to that part of comment, when ignoring the rest.

Turtletrekker likes this.
  2. eschaton

eschaton Commodore Commodore

Maybe Burnham grew up on the "white" part of Vulcan, where the bowl-cut was much more universal. Tuvok, in contrast, grew up on a different continent.

3. saladdays

saladdays Commander Red Shirt

And that is a good point. I couldn't remember those. However, thinking about it, T'Pol also wore her hair long and pulled back in "Twilight" in the alternate future where the Xindi destroy Earth.

CommanderRaytas and XCV330 like this.
  4. King Daniel Beyond

King Daniel Beyond Fleet Admiral Admiral

It just occurred to me that those squiggly little ships they used to dart around asteroids in "Brother" would have been quite useful in avoiding mines.

XCV330 likes this.
  5. Gilora

Gilora Lieutenant Red Shirt

Speaking as someone who has hair similar to SMG's -- you can infer a certain thing about me from that -- I noticed that Burnam's hair was not Vulcaned but still straightened before her prison stint, but no longer in Context is For Kings.

I liked that and the fact that Burnam has kept that style for two reasons: 1) it was realistic that a prisoner would not think about or have the means to straighten her hair, and 2) after her parole, it was a small indication that she is embracing her humanity.

I have, however, silently bashed whoever the hairstylist is for making even Burnham's "natural" hair look fake -- especially in the later episodes of season 1.

CommanderRaytas, XCV330 and saladdays like this.
  6. Mr. Laser Beam

Mr. Laser Beam Fleet Admiral Admiral

But then how could they get aboard the station? There was no airlock, and the little ships didn’t have transporters.

XCV330 likes this.
  7. XCV330

XCV330 A Being of Pure Caffeine Premium Member

Seeing that one of three times we see T'Pel, it's basicallt Tom Paris's version of her for a dirty hologram program he made so T'Pol could uh.. take care of Pon Farr in the holodeck (one of the most cringe worthy moments in a series filled with them) , I'm not about to defend the production team, but the idea that straightened hair belies some racial ignorance seems a bit extreme. I think they were just doing their best to make her Vulcan McVulcanhead as easily as possible. In the 90's there were black characters in star trek that did not have straightened hair. T'Pel and Shenzou era Burnham are outliers.

saladdays and Gilora like this.
  8. Longinus

Longinus Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Saavik most definitely didn't have straight hair.
    [​IMG]
    Anyway, whilst I really don't think that when playing the aliens the natural hair of the actor necessarily needs to be kept, nor do the aliens need to follow similar coalescence of physical traits than the humans do,* Burnham is a human and her natural hair is curly, so they explicitly straightened it.

(*And of course there are a lot of dark skinned humans with straight hair.)

Last edited: Mar 21, 2019
    CommanderRaytas and 137th Gebirg like this.
  9. seigezunt

seigezunt Vice Admiral Admiral

The more I think about it, the less patience I have with the argument that the story is flawed because they killed off a character that they suddenly gave a back story in one episode.

Star Trek, and TV, does this all the time.

10. Gilora

Gilora Lieutenant Red Shirt

It makes sense that Sarek would have his "experiments" -- Spock and Burnham -- wear the bowl cut.

11. XCV330

Linus needs to walk up to Sarek one day and say "You really suck" and walk off, saying what the audience has needed to tell Sarek for 50+ years.

12. Longinus

Longinus Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Yes, but usually the character hasn't been around for one and half seasons before that. It is not really that the story is flawed, it is just that it was a missed opportunity to use the serialisation to make an already good story even better.

13. XCV330

Whoever mentioned an Airiam short trek (sorry person. I would quote you but I am lazy) had a great idea on that: That would have taken care of it. I would definitely have traded that for the Tilly Short Trek.

Tomalak and Andru like this.
  14. Jinn

Jinn Captain Marvel #4; Quasar #2 Premium Member

I, on the other hand, am bored, so here's the quote:

Tomalak, CommanderRaytas and XCV330 like this.
  15. XCV330

And I think they only have one left.

Last edited: Mar 21, 2019
  16. King Daniel Beyond

King Daniel Beyond Fleet Admiral Admiral

There was an airlock. Airiam was blown out of it.

17. Noname Given

Noname Given Admiral Admiral

Unless the Pilot's last name is Connelly... ;)

Alan Roi and XCV330 like this.
  18. Alan Roi

Alan Roi Commodore Captain

And yet look at his kids. In both success and failure no one can argue that they aren't spectacular, each in their own ways. Even though they might not respect him so much, and his own dreams for them also failed spectacularly, it's no wonder he seems so smug a lot of the time.

Last edited: Mar 22, 2019
  19. Alan Roi

Alan Roi Commodore Captain

As far as we know it was never flown back to the ship.

20. Mr. Laser Beam

Mr. Laser Beam Fleet Admiral Admiral

Oh yeah, that's right. Can't believe I forgot that. :alienblush:

Still, though, they probably decided that the Discovery itself would be better able to defend itself against a full minefield than a bunch of little ships would be. The mines were able to cut into Discovery's hull so easily that I'm sure they would have made short work of the littler ones.