Spoilers Star Trek: Discovery 1x11 - "The Wolf Inside"

Discussion in 'Star Trek: Discovery' started by Commander Richard, Jan 14, 2018.

?

Rate the episode...

1. 10 - Loved every minute of it!

30.9%
  2. 9

25.4%
  3. 8

19.9%
  4. 7

13.3%
  5. 6

3.1%
  6. 5

2.7%
  7. 4

2.7%
  8. 3

1.6%
  9. 2

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  10. 1 - Hated every second!

0.4%
  1. Mr. Laser Beam

Mr. Laser Beam Fleet Admiral Admiral

Yep.

DSC, on the other hand, is filmed mostly in Toronto.

2. Mr Awe

Mr Awe Vice Admiral Admiral

Nothing personal, but I so hope you're wrong! :)

Actually, I can very well imagine it appearing. In fact, I wouldn't be surprised if there was an epic show down between the Defiant and the Discovery in the season finale (or whichever episode they escape the MU).

3. Nyotarules

Nyotarules Vice Admiral Moderator

Or Amanda was a member of the rebellion, Spock joined Starfleet to rebel against this parents rebellion lol

lawman and Mr. Laser Beam like this.
  4. Vger23

Vger23 Vice Admiral Admiral

Oh, don't get me wrong...I'd love to see this. But the fact that we only saw a skeleton diagram of the Defiant on the screen last week kind of clued me in on toning down the expectations and just being pleased that they used that plot point at all.

Showing her would be a cherry on the sundae here...but I'm keeping any and all expectations firmly in check.

5. Mr Awe

Mr Awe Vice Admiral Admiral

I'm sure you would!

My take (and I could be wrong) was that the wireframe was more of a tease. I'm thinking if they had no intention of showing it, they would've mentioned it was destroyed or something. Right now they're upping our anticipation.

Or, so I'm hoping. But, the Discovery against a supped up Defiant would be epic.

6. Vger23

I think this writing staff is still figuring out just how hard fans will analyze this stuff with regard to having "surprises" sprung on us.

The Tyler = Voq was a fun one, and they've been water-dropping the one for a while now, so I'll give them a pass on that. I think that one went down as they planned. And, the real skill there was in doing the reveal in a meaningful and effective way, which I believe they did.

The Gorgeau reveal was something that could have been more of a surprise though. I think if they had simply eliminated the foreshadowing of "meeting the Emperor" from the last episode, it would have kept speculation to almost nothing. Then, it would have truly been a 2x4 between the eyes when Michelle Yeoh showed up on that screen.

I'm sincerely hoping that if there is to be some big Lorca reveal (I'm not AT ALL convinced of this, BTW) that it was written with some more misdirection and sneakiness than these past two. Just the fact that we're already on to something though means that either it will be (once again) a little predicable and/or that the REAL surprise will be that there is no surprise, which would be my preference...beucause I'd rather that character continue.

7. rhllot

rhllot Captain Captain

female tellarite finally!!!
    [​IMG]

8. Lakenheath 72

Lakenheath 72 Commodore Commodore

For myself, the relationship between Amanda and Sarek can be seen as one of the fundamental flaws of the mirror universe. In the prime universe, their relationship met resistance from a subset of Vulcans, who harbored a strong bias against outsiders. I do not see how Amanda and Sarek could have a relationship in the mirror universe where the Humans aimed to conquer the Vulcans and the Vulcans viewed the Humans as an existential threat and where an union between a Human and a Vulcan would be seen as odious for both races.

I am really trying hard not to make predictions with this series. Yet, many of the predictions I have read has proven as accurate. It's getting really depressing knowing where the road goes. The joy of discovery is fading quickly.

9. Jackson_Roykirk

Jackson_Roykirk Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

^
    ^^ Maybe there are a few "enlightened" humans in the MU who do not share the same xenophobic trait as most humans. MU Amanda might be one of them.

As I mentioned in another post, it really makes no logical sense at all why all of these characters in the MU still come to be associated with each other given the extremely divergent history of the MU. I mean, why would it be so that at the exact same moment Kirk, McCoy, Scotty, and Uhara were beaming up after meeting the Halkans, their mirror versions just happened to be doing the same on the MU Halkan planet? All of history is different, but those four still met with the Halkans in both universes at the same moment.

However, It is what it is, and we as Star Trek fans have simply "gone with it" (and have happily done so), even though it is not that logical.

Last edited: Jan 15, 2018
    Ovation likes this.
  10. Vger23

I made a similar observation a few posts up. I think the writing team may have underestimated the amount of scrutiny Star Trek fans put on stuff like this. That said, the good news is:
    1. The "reveals" have all been well-executed, so even if the surprise was a little diluted, the reveal has been nice
    2. The show is just so damn fun right now that it kind of makes up for it. They've come a long way from some of the earlier episodes that took themselves way too seriously. Not that it isn't serious now...but there's some "fun" (not humor per se...but just fun) around virtually every corner.

Titus Andronicus and Feron like this.
  11. O_Kav

O_Kav Lieutenant Commander Red Shirt

I expected that too. Leveling an entire planet is a good way of showing how powerful a Connie really is. I hope the Emperor's Flagship is at least inspired by the Defiant.

12. Refuge

Refuge Vice Admiral Admiral

Tilly should have been a consulting character alongside the CMO in Stamets care. Instead Saru is treating this half-baked colleague like she's got all the answers. Michael had already guessed with the Tardigrade that flooding the chamber with spores was healing. Instead we got Tilly and a load of technobullshit explaining how she's noticed this and that, complete with a big tardy brain image on screen and Stamet's little fella brain. Tilly needed to be featured, that's all.

They could have used footage space to indicate that Michael had given Discovery the heads up about Tyler. A nanosecond nod to that. Speaking of which please tell me that they are not going to put Voq/ex-Tyler conveniently next to L'Rell.

13. Vger23

Yeah, it's a really good point that Lekenhealth 72 makes about the seeming improbability of the relationship between Amanda and Sarek...but given your point above, we've gone with it for 50 years now. No need to start questioning it at this late juncture.

14. JD

JD Fleet Admiral Admiral

Which novels? The only one I'm aware of that deals with the MU and the Borg is the novella The Worst of Both Worlds, which has Mirror Picard and Vash running into an MU version of the Borg.
    I thought they said they hadn't finished evacuating? Which could mean that they got at least a few people off planet before the attack.
    DS9 filmed in California, and Discovery films in Canada, so I doubt it was the same place.

15. cultcross

cultcross Postponed for the snooker Moderator

Yup, the MU makes no less sense in Discovery than at any other time. It reached peak nonsensical in DS9 really, where, despite centuries of divergent history stemming from the Terran Empire's fall, Sisko, O'Brien, Jadzia and Julian are all still existing, and on Terok Nor.

If you think too hard about it, the MU just folds as a concept. But you don't - each trip is accepted by fans as just a way to show eeeevil versions of the current cast.

Nyotarules and Noname Given like this.
  16. Refuge

Refuge Vice Admiral Admiral

Must have happened off screen with everything else that was apparently good. I loved the way Michael says Grab Lorca and conveniently has him on the bridge, lol. Because that's what you do :guffaw:

17. Vger23

The prior scene establishes that Lorca was in the Captain's ready room, about 10 meters from where Burnham was standing. So, it was very convenient indeed.

KennyB and Grendelsbayne like this.
  18. Vger23

I've always bought it as one of those "currents and eddies" hypothesis...that certain key figures are "meant" to be in certain places at certain times across the two universes (and perhaps in others).

It's thin...but it's fun.

oberth likes this.
  19. Jackson_Roykirk

Jackson_Roykirk Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I think it was more effective as a surprise to us.

Maybe I'm in the minority here, but I would rather not have had a scene where we see Burnham calling back to Saru telling him the plan with Tyler's "spacing", and all of us knowing exactly what that plan was. Knowing what was about to happen would have made "the happening" anticlimactic.

Gilora, KennyB, antinoos and 5 others like this.
  20. Titus Andronicus

Titus Andronicus Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

I can definitely understand why some folks are underwhelmed by the "surprise" reveals, but I've enjoyed the ride so much it hasn't bothered me at all. I wonder sometimes if I'd be more surprised if I didn't breathe in the online Trek fan culture, lol. Some of these theories I doubt I'd have thought of on my own.