Spoilers Star Trek: Discovery 1x10 - "Despite Yourself"

Discussion in 'Star Trek: Discovery' started by Commander Richard, Jan 7, 2018.

?

Rate the episode...

1. 10 - Excellent!

42.6%
  2. 9

25.4%
  3. 8

18.1%
  4. 7

5.5%
  5. 6

2.6%
  6. 5

3.2%
  7. 4

1.2%
  8. 3

0.9%
  9. 2

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  10. 1 - Terrible!

0.6%
  1. Mr. Laser Beam

Mr. Laser Beam Fleet Admiral Admiral

Even in the MU, the name 'Discovery' still fits. You have to discover new worlds before you conquer them. :devil:

Feron and Amaris like this.
  2. Kevin Wolff

Kevin Wolff Captain Captain

That's how they win the war. They get back and the find the Mirror DSC singlehandedly defeated the Klingons. And that's why no one ever mentions DSC in the future, especially the Klingons.

3. Cyrus

Cyrus Vice Admiral Admiral

A few episodes ago Stamets called Tilly "Captain". At the time it felt like it would be something that would be explained later, and it was.

Borg, guyute03, Turtletrekker and 4 others like this.
  4. Kevin Wolff

The only character we've met that could have a bigger impact as the emperor is the Tartigard (or however it's spelled).

5. Noname Given

Noname Given Fleet Admiral Admiral

Given S1 had a $8 million per episode price tag, I doubt that Season 2 was 'automatic' (any more that Season 2 of TNG was 'automatic' - it wasn't they had a plan to tack TNG S1 to the TOS syndication package ii TNG bombed.)

The FACT is ST: D Season 1 did well enough (and brought in enough subscriptions to CBSAA and Netflix) that CBS decidied it should get a second season.
    ^^^
    Yes, it's popular, among both existing Star Trek fans - and it's brought in new fans too. You don't seem to be able to handle or acknowledge that fact it seems.

Last edited: Jan 8, 2018
    Ometiklan, antinoos, Borg and 5 others like this.
  6. Kenobiwan85

Kenobiwan85 Lieutenant Red Shirt

Captain Killy is awesome.

[​IMG]

7. Kevin Wolff

Yep, And since Stamets was kind of a prick in the regular universe, his mirror self is kind and friendly. It must be hell for the nice guys of the mirror U.

antinoos, jespah and indranee like this.
  8. Noname Given

Noname Given Fleet Admiral Admiral

Well, given the events of DS9 - "In the Pale Moonlight" - yeah, Sisko's not your standard 24th century Sarfleet officer. ;)

9. thribs

thribs Vice Admiral Admiral

I’m sure vandalising the registry of the ship breaks some Starfleet protocol.
    Also, seems rather easy to mask the quantum signature of the ship. Also seems unnecessary since I don’t think scanning the quantum signature is part of a standard sensor sweep.

10. Nightowl1701

Nightowl1701 Commodore Commodore

Depending on what the ISS Discovery gets up to in the Prime Universe, 'Captain Killy' may end up better off not going back... :crazy:

Kevin Wolff likes this.
  11. Tuskin38

Tuskin38 Fleet Admiral Admiral

Depends if the imperial starfleet knew the discovery could jump.

Plus the USS Defiant bring there

12. 137th Gebirg

137th Gebirg Admiral Premium Member

Just now getting into this, so it's likely it was already addressed in the intervening pages, but remember the Defiant has been in the MU for a while, since Archer's time. Since it was commandeered by Empress Sato, sixty or eighty some years ago, it's entirely possible and expected that she would have undergone several refits.
    They did seem to go out of their way to avoid naming the Emperor or addressing him as her as him or her. Always just "the Emperor".
    I was genuinely shocked by that. Maybe they'll find Mirror Culber and reboot the relationship with a different dynamic.

Last edited: Jan 8, 2018
    Feron likes this.
  13. Vger23

Vger23 Vice Admiral Admiral

"I will cut out your tongue and use it to clean my boots"

Gotta be in the top 3 for best Trek lines ever written.

antinoos, Manuuk7, Borg and 12 others like this.
  14. Nightowl1701

Nightowl1701 Commodore Commodore

FTFY. :devil:

antinoos, Borg, Psion and 2 others like this.
  15. indranee

indranee Vice Admiral Admiral

Too bad Majel has left us.

antinoos, Borg, jespah and 6 others like this.
  16. Smoked Salmon

Smoked Salmon Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

That has to be the explanation. I mean, how else can you explain the fact that the image has those bizarre mini nacelles yet larvae still overall retains the retro look? In fact the nacelle struts almost remind me a bit of Doug Drexler’s NX-01 refit.

Having said that, if this is indeed the new canon Connie, I’m glad they haven’t messed around with th design TOO much, unlike the Klingons.

lawman, Feron and Noname Given like this.
  17. thribs

That is possible but the ship is already very advanced with respect to them. Also, remember that the Defiant here is a Kirk era refit version and so it’s more advanced than the Discovery as well.
    All I see them doing to it is cosmetic changes. Some yellow paint on the hill etc.

137th Gebirg likes this.
  18. thribs

It looked like a squished version of it. Plus the nacelles look like they retract, Voyager style.

19. Kane_Steel

Kane_Steel Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

I was literally with some of the production staff of the series on the night of the premiere (while the final eps of the season were about to be filmed), and they told me S2 was already greenlit.

S1 was paid for entirely (including the 8 mil per ep price tag) by Netflix, and CBS could afford to go ahead with the next season.

We'll see if CBS is actually good with the numbers or not depending on whether S2 gets the same budget treatment as S1. I'm skeptical it will, given the divisive nature of this show, and the current Netflix situation.

20. Kane_Steel

Kane_Steel Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Haha. So cringe. I prefer my Trek parody on The Orville.

johnjm22 and Mechanoid1 like this.