Spoilers Star Trek: Discovery 1x01 - "The Vulcan Hello"

Discussion in 'Star Trek: Discovery' started by Commander Richard, Sep 24, 2017.

?

Rate the episode...

1. 10 - Awesome!

11.0%
  2. 9

12.0%
  3. 8

21.8%
  4. 7

18.3%
  5. 6

8.5%
  6. 5

9.0%
  7. 4

5.5%
  8. 3

5.0%
  9. 2

2.5%
  10. 1 - Terrible!

6.3%
  1. Timo

Timo Fleet Admiral Admiral

Well, Spock had the good sense to have his info screen shrouded from the eyes of anybody else...

Timo Saloniemi

Vger23 likes this.
  2. Guy Gardener

Guy Gardener Fleet Admiral Admiral

Remember from Message in a Bottle?

When the two Holograms are trying to pilot the ship?

3. F. King Daniel

F. King Daniel Fleet Admiral Admiral

I'm reminded of Pike's "You can be an officer in four years, have your own ship in eight." from his pitch to Kirk in the Shipyard Bar.

BillJ likes this.
  4. BillJ

BillJ The King of Kings Premium Member

I would've liked to have seen what made Georgiou think she was a great officer. Versus being told. I think it would've been far more interesting to have seen her in that situation versus the Klingon PTSD episodes.

5. JRTStarlight

JRTStarlight Captain Captain

That, and he often had that large earpiece feeding him real time information that only he could hear.
    [​IMG]

6. Timo

Him and Uhura. Perhaps they just were more discreet about "it" in this timeline?

Timo Saloniemi

7. Matthew Raymond

Matthew Raymond Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Uhura and Spock quietly put in their earpieces when no one is looking.

Spock: "It appeared to be some kind of clown from mid-20th century Earth."
    Uhura: "You're not the only one. I've seen that clown too."
    Spock: "Facinating."

Trekfan12 likes this.
  8. DaddlerTheDalek

DaddlerTheDalek Captain Captain

Very solid first episode. :)

9. DEWLine

DEWLine Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Mapping question: the binary system serving as the backdrop is stated to be six lightyears from Gamma Hydra.

Using the Whitten Starmap utility, I got this result. The two closest systems to Gamma Hydra known to Whitten's database - which was assembled before we started getting results back from GAIA's galaxy-mapping project - are both at least 10 ligthtyears distant: 55 and 57 Virginis. Due to the lack of GAIA data available to me, and my lack of ability to work the data, that doesn't rule out a dimmer system fitting the distance range from γ Hya as cited, mind you...

(If anyone's already covered this either in this thread or over at Trek Tech, could you please link me to that info?)

10. Longinus

Longinus Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I think you're overthinking this a bit...

11. DEWLine

DEWLine Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Since they're cribbing off of Star Charts explicitly, per Lorca's office...

12. Neopeius

Neopeius Admiral Admiral

[QUOTE="Pauln6, post: 12183166, member: 16845"I enjoyed the first episode. What was nice was that I didn't feel that I was watching Starfleet's finest. [/QUOTE]

I didn't feel I was watching Starfleet. Certainly no team I would hire to run a starship... or even a houseboat.

13. Timo

This may be giving too much credit. The "Feds to left, Klingons to right" thing was a feature of many early maps already, including Probert's fancy "Conspiracy" one. That's where the Star Charts picked it, too, but assorted Okudagrams kept the thing going independently in DS9 until Star Charts began to be a thing in Treklit, STO and finally the latest movies.

The "Feds to upper right" is a rather obvious dramatic convention that would probably have happened even had the Star Charts not taken Okuda's arrangement of Romulans up (coreward), Klingons down (rimward), Feds left (spinward) to heart. The good guys can't be striking from down below, after all!

And the curvature of the border is just curvature - it can't be a straight line or it doesn't look good... As we learned at the floor of the Romulan Senate.

All that said, the half a dozen onscreen maps from various movies and shows that do look like the Star Charts one are certainly not in conflict with the Star Charts or with each other, which is very, very nice. Better not study them too accurately, is all.

Timo Saloniemi

14. lee249

lee249 Lieutenant Junior Grade Red Shirt

@Ricky Spanish, I was going by a report i'd read online. They projected 2-5 million viewers would watch it given the nature of the service.

Guess it's kinda like when the other spin-offs came out on SKY, just only a matter of time. I used to have subscription, but now rely on freeview.

15. Captain Chris

Captain Chris Lieutenant Junior Grade Red Shirt

You know, I just can’t get past the Klingons. Like come one. These species are just stupid in this show. I know it’s 10 years before Kirk but seriously a species can’t evolve that quick!

16. Spider

Spider Dirty Old Man Premium Member

You can't take the science in this show seriously. Janeway turned into a salamander and back in one episode.

17. Captain Chris

Captain Chris Lieutenant Junior Grade Red Shirt

Lol. This is true.

18. Mad Jack Wolfe

Mad Jack Wolfe Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Nah, it's taken them fifty-one years to look like that.

19. Guy Gardener

Guy Gardener Fleet Admiral Admiral

But did they?

It would have been so much easier to replace Janeway with a clone, than reverse her genetic damage.

20. Noname Given

Noname Given Fleet Admiral Admiral

Well, hell Picard basically ran a carpeted Hotel (with families aboard - so yeah, I get your point. ;)

Pauln6 likes this.