Star Trek: Axanar

Discussion in 'Fan Productions' started by Linnear, Sep 24, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. I amnot Herbert

I amnot Herbert Lieutenant Commander

I would if I could, my friend! ;)

...this is the nature or *rumor* :p

FWIW: I did not start the rumor... :rolleyes:

2. Kemaiku

Kemaiku Admiral Admiral

If you say so. :lol:

3. BigJake

BigJake Vice Admiral Admiral

CBS does not control Paramount. (I don't know if it's true that they're specifically disinterested in NuTrek -- though I can see reasons why they might not be enthused -- but the fact that Paramount is making a movie says nothing about that one way or another.)

4. I amnot Herbert

That is *HIGHLY* debatable... ;)

plus, paramount makes nu-trek, *NOT CBS*

(don't believe everything that BR leads you to...) ;)

5. CorporalCaptain

CorporalCaptain Fleet Admiral Admiral

Highly? No.

But CBS will cash the checks of the proceeds they'll get from ST13 with respect to licensing, etc., yes? In other words, that's their interest.

6. Bixby

Bixby Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

This again? Why would Alec Peters WANT to have CBS pick up Axanar as a show? He's got total creative control right now, his script is untouched except for the changes he and Christian Gossett WANT to insert in there up until shooting day. He has final say in most EVERY aspect on the current production, and that includes casting, choice of director and every other crewmember, music, post-production and SFX, and most important of all: FINAL CUT!!

By going the independent film route and raising the funding on his own and through Kickstarter, Alec has achieved what precious, PRECIOUS few have over in the Hollywood A-list crowd: He had a dream project and has managed to shepherd it thus far and it will come out, for better or worse, exactly as he wishes it.

Those of you who keep harping about getting CBS to take over this project and that project have never had to deal with busybody producers, broadcasters, studio heads and assorted other pains in the ass who interfere a lot more than they sometimes help, who bring only their expertise at schmoozing and raising dollars but no artistic or filmic experience to speak of as they decide wholesale changes to writers and directors' artistic visions (remind me at some point to tell you about the time an episode's villains had their celebratory glasses of champagne replaced by orange juice because the show's time slot could not show the imbibing of alcohol, or the time another series replaced the voice of Gina Gershon, a really good actress, in favour of the totally incompetent Carmen Electra for its second season for the only reason that a producer wanted to get in her pants- I tore all my hair out because every recorded take by Electra was unusable but we had to make do).

If Alec Peters somehow manages to sell his show to CBS for them to produce it, he would suddenly go from head honcho with the last word on most everything, to being pretty much at the bottom of the totem pole underneath an army of producers, broadcasters and studio heads who will wield a lot more pull than he.

Even Robert Kirkman has to answer to a lot of executives during each season of the WALKING DEAD, even though he is one of its producers\head writers, and he owns and created the property. Alec does not own anything about Axanar except for some of the characters (I think...)

If Axanar is ever picked up by CBS (extremely, extremely doubtful), and Alec Peters wants to retain his sanity he should simply sell it for as much as he can, wash his hands of it and run as fast as he can in the opposite direction...

Last edited: Jan 1, 2015
  7. Amaris

Amaris Fleet Admiral Admiral

I am the eternal optimist. :p

CBS does get a large say, though, as I mentioned earlier in my post with the link to TheWrap's discussion on why a TV series didn't happen while the iron was hot.

As I've said, I think CBS is happy raking in money from streaming the various series on sites like Netflix, Amazon, and Hulu. They make lots of money, and don't have to exert themselves. The property is paying for itself many times over, so why would they pour new money into a new series?

I do have a question for you, though: what reasons would there be for CBS to be specifically unenthused about the newer Trek films?

8. I amnot Herbert

NO - CBS is unhappy w/ Paramount & Paramount is unhappy w/ Bad Robot (because nu-trek sucks)

all of the law suits will trickle down to JJ / boborci...

9. I amnot Herbert

because Alec is not that kind of egotist: he wants to bring good Star Trek to us all!

...not to be "king of his molehill", LOL!

so, yes: if CBS "buys" Axanar, Alec looses total control, but not necessarily all input... ;-)

10. dswynne1

dswynne1 Captain Captain

Unless you are from CBS, no hyperbole needs to apply.

11. Potemkin_Prod

Potemkin_Prod Commodore Commodore

That's some mighty powerful Koolaid you've been drinking...

12. Ryan Thomas Riddle

Ryan Thomas Riddle Vice Admiral Admiral

What's your source for this?

13. Bixby

You just have no bloody idea how the television and film industry works...

14. jojolimited

jojolimited Lieutenant Commander Red Shirt

That is baloney. Nu-trek is making money, that makes Paramount and CBS very happy.
    The only unhappy ones are the TOS Nazis shouting louder than everyone else. Since it's obvious you're not an insider at either CBS or Paramount, you're only passing on BS.

CBS has stated they have a long term goal to bring back Trek to Broadcast. But they will do it on their time, their rules. With Netflix and Amazon Prime becoming power players, don't be surprised if it ends up their instead of traditional TV.

15. jojolimited

jojolimited Lieutenant Commander Red Shirt

Bixby, you're trying to teach a pig to sing. Waste of time and annoys the pig.

16. I amnot Herbert

Well, Nazi smears aside... with BR screwing the pooch, and Paramount's fumble, time is looking pretty ripe... not to mention:

ALL WE WANT IS GOOD (REAL) STAR TREK!!! PLEASE!!!

I WOULD LOVE TO SEE AXANAR ON NETFLIX! :drool:

17. urbandefault

urbandefault Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

The longer this goes on the more I believe that Not Herbert really is Herbert.

Think about it. ;)

18. Borgminister

Borgminister Admiral Moderator

Too much drooling.

19. northstar

northstar Lieutenant Commander Red Shirt

I donĀ“t think it was ever on the agenda of Axanar being presented to CBS, like other productions claim to be doing. Quite the contrary - I remember reading that Alec Peters was quite opposite to getting fans hopes up by doing that, as it would have no chance whatsoever for CBS to be considered.

If CBS wants to do a new series, they for sure have enough resources on their own to do so without having to hassle with any fan project.

We can just hope they watch these projects with a friendly eye, treating them as a positive sign of the fandom.

20. Bixby

Paramount lawyer: ''Mr. Abrams?''

J.J.: ''yep, that'sa me...''

Paramount lawyer: ''We want to tell you that despite you directing and shepherding 2 movies from our Star Trek franchise that brought in about $200 million EACH in profit (not counting for the advertising budget and global home DVD sales and miscellaneous revenue), that we intend to sue you!!''

J.J.: ''Wow that's great! And I, uh...wait, WHAT?''

Paramount lawyer: ''Ciao, dude!''

Man, I'd have loved to have listened in on THAT conversation...:rolleyes:

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.