Star Trek: Axanar

Discussion in 'Fan Productions' started by Linnear, Sep 24, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Barbreader

Barbreader Fleet Captain In Memoriam

No one should take deadlines seriously when discussing ANY Star Trek fan drama... except perhaps Potemkin or Outpost.

They need $275,000 to get the sets started, and $375,000 (unlikely) to do the rest of the pre-production work.

2. localyokel

localyokel Ensign Red Shirt

Are they not planning on other KS campaigns? Why did they set the goal at $100,000 when they need $650,000? This whole process is a bit confusing..:eek:

3. wtriker1701

wtriker1701 Commander Red Shirt

That's what I tried to say. Thanks, Mage!

4. Super Space Star

Super Space Star Lieutenant Red Shirt

They've got plenty of money...to fly themselves and their pals to conventions all over the United States. Next stop "Dragon Con." They don't have money to pay some people to "man their Axanar booth" at the convention, however. And for some funny reason they can't "man the booth themselves." On their facebook page they are asking for volunteers. That's unpaid labor. Are Trekkies really that dumb? :rommie:

5. Mage

Mage Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

You're welcome. :)

6. Potemkin_Prod

Potemkin_Prod Commodore Commodore

You need to be more specific about what you're replying to. Project: Potemkin does not have "plenty of money," nor do we "fly [our]selves and our pals to conventions all over the United States." I'm sure you meant the group in the subject header as the target of your barbs, but I want to make sure your comments are not misconstrued as being directed at Potemkin.

7. Red Omega

Red Omega Lieutenant

Got an ax to grind? Seems so.

I know Alec and his crew, and they always man their own booth, just like they did at Houston Con. They also look for help since they can't always be there. And they spend all their own money going to all these conventions. So do their "pals" as you put it.

8. Noname Given

Noname Given Fleet Admiral Admiral

Probably because the way Kickstarter works, if you don't make you listed goal, you don't get any money (still owe some fees); and everyone gets their pledge automatically refunded. And while I really do hope the project succeeds and gets made; thinking that somehow multiple KS campaigns will work seems a bit risky as unless you get the same people to donate to multiple campaigns, at some point, you'll get a KS that will not get funded; and at that point, you either find a different source of funding to finish, or you're stuck with the pre-production work completed, but no way to actually film/edit/complete the full project.

I can only believe they HOPED to get the $650K with the one project and put a resounding "We thought we'd need multiple campaigns, but the fans came through!..." -- but it doesn't look like that's going to happen unless donations really ramp up in the final week; so who knows.

Again, I really hope they make it and are able to produce the film; but they have a lot of funds left to raise to make their stated budget goals.

9. Super Space Star

I am referring to "Axanar" not Potemkin. The money being discussed in the quote was for "Axanar." And this is the "Axanar" thread...RIGHT. You guys at Potemkin are the real definition of "fan film." And I mean that as a compliment.

10. Super Space Star

Oh, they NEED "help." Yes, indeed. And if they've got so much of their "own" money to throw around, why don't they give some to their employees instead of bumming freebies.

11. Ithekro

Ithekro Vice Admiral Admiral

Depending on how the convention works, volunteers can get in free, which can be better in some ways than getting paid for some fans.

12. Red Omega

Red Omega Lieutenant

Why don't you ask FOR PROFIT ventures like Creation Entertainment why they use volunteers? Or Wizard World who also uses volunteers?

Axanar, and every fan film is a non-profit venture, and so they ask for volunteers to help. They don't have "employees" as you claim. You obviously neither make nor assist in making fan films and just bitch a lot it seems.

You really seem hung up on these guys who get paid zero for making AMAZING Star Trek, who work tirelessly for us fans, using volunteers. Your bitching is really poor taste.

13. GSchnitzer

GSchnitzer Co-Executive Producer In Memoriam

I think the Axanar production team has been fairly forthcoming about exactly what expenses the Kickstarter money is intended to defray. Securing studio space, building sets, post-production editing, etc.--all the various expenses were pretty well itemized in the Kickstarter campaign announcements. The earmarks were explained in advance.

I think a lot of people would have major problems with Axanar deciding to now spend their Kickstarter money on convention attendance and manning booths and other P.R. activities and all kinds of other things--instead of using the money exactly as they announced they would.

Should "all kinds of P.R. activities" have been earmarked as one of those expenses on which the Kickstarter money would be spent? That's a different issue--and it's too late for their two heretofore campaigns.

14. Red Omega

Red Omega Lieutenant

Greg:

The Axanar people were all flown in to the Houston Con by the convention all expenses paid. Just ask them. As a donor, they tell us everything. Unlike every other Star Trek Kickstarter.

Maybe you shouldn't make assumptions about what they are spending their money on. Alec has said point blank they spend their own money on their convention appearances.

Instead, maybe we should be looking into how Phase II is spending their Kickstarter money. We would be lucky if they are as upfront as the Axanar team.

15. Super Space Star

They do itemize a budget on the "Axanar" kickstarter page, but so what? There is NO accountability for the money. None.

16. 137th Gebirg

137th Gebirg Admiral Premium Member

Oh grand. A new outrage to derail the thread! Don't make me pine for the good old days of "queen bitch whore" rhetoric. I was just getting used to it. :p

17. Red Omega

Red Omega Lieutenant

Well, Alec has said he is publishing the final Prelude to Axanar Kickstarter budget sometime soon. What other Kickstarter even offers to do that?

Star Trek Continues didn't publish a thing about where their money goes.

Star Trek Renegades has had 3 Kickstarters and not even a budget.

And Star Trek Phase II? Well, the only reason their Kickstarter was as upfront about where they were spending the $ is because Alec Peters ran their Kickstarter.

You can bitch all you want Super Space Star, but Axanar is at the leading edge of accountability on Kickstarter.

18. GSchnitzer

GSchnitzer Co-Executive Producer In Memoriam

Are you advocating that Axanar should or will just spend the Kickstarter money differently from how they indicated they would because, well, they wouldn't really be policed by any mechanism?

And aside from such behind-the-scenes financing folderol, what did you think of the production?

19. DEWLine

DEWLine Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Finally got to see Prelude. Looks good.

20. Mark 2000

Mark 2000 Captain Captain

Dear men on the internet: B**ch, wh*r*, and sl*t, are as offensive and inappropriate as the words n*gg*r, sp**k, or k*k*. The first is just a gross comparison of a woman to another animal based on a strength of character that is usually applauded in men , the other two are judgmental of her sexual desires and proclivities. Both are historically degrading, dismissive, and, at times, a prelude to murder (scarlet letters, honor killings, etc.). You may not feel that way, but you'd be wrong. I'm not going to argue whether any of these words are appropriate in a Star Trek property. I *am* going to let you know that if you personally consider any one of them too offensive to utter casually then they all are.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.