Star Trek 4 Reportedly Shelved

Discussion in 'Star Trek Movies: Kelvin Universe' started by PixelMagic, Jan 8, 2019.

1. Khan 2.0

Khan 2.0 Commodore Commodore

u might be right as just watched the trailer and think it could hit huge.. like 1b or close

ALF likes this.
  2. Verteron

Verteron Lux in tenebris lucet Rear Admiral

I know humanity is terrible but we have done nothing so bad that we deserve that Sonic film

3. CuriousCaitian

CuriousCaitian Lieutenant Commander Red Shirt

The Sonic movie looks to be an object lesson in why Paramount only have one properly functioning franchise right now. The fingerprints of faceless execs who can only think in demographics are all over it, and there's a hefty dose of "what were they thinking?".

I mean - a fitness monitor gag? An uncanny valley Furby Sonic whose chest fur looks to have been painted pale tan and who's had most of his personality siphoned out? Get Jim Carrey to play Robotnik and don't let him go completely cuckoo crazy? A child abduction gag? It won't make the billion. I doubt it'll even make its production budget back.

Very possibly it's a good thing Star Trek's stuck in limbo for the forseeable...

ATimson and Lance like this.
  4. fireproof78

fireproof78 Admiral Admiral

Have you met humans?

ATimson, ALF and saddestmoon like this.
  5. Kemaiku

Kemaiku Admiral Admiral

Donald Trump?

I mean, the Sonic movie is the least we deserve after that.

ATimson and Daddy Todd like this.
  6. Khan 2.0

spoke too soon

saddestmoon and pst like this.
  7. Verteron

Verteron Lux in tenebris lucet Rear Admiral

Help us Doctor Strange we're trapped in a dark timeline and we can't get out

8. USS Firefly

USS Firefly Commodore Commodore

...you are our only hope

9. drt

drt Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

It'll be interesting to see if Avatar ends up being that much of a franchise, I'm not so sure the first one would have been anywhere near as successful without the 3D hook.

ALF likes this.
  10. ALF

ALF Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Avatar 2009 has not held up well for me - saw it in the theatres back in 2009 and it was meh. Rewatched it a couple years ago and actively disliked it. I can't see any possibility that I'll be lining up to watch any of those Avatar sequels anytime soon.

XCV330 likes this.
  11. King Daniel Beyond

King Daniel Beyond Fleet Admiral Admiral

I'm ambivalent about Avatar and any Star Wars without my boy Kylo.

But just wait until the hype machine kicks in, we'll change our tunes:lol:

XCV330 and saddestmoon like this.
  12. Rahul

Rahul Commodore Commodore

I'm actually really looking forward to Avatar. Not because the first one was so great (it was - but mostly from a technical standpoint).

But because I know my boy James Cameron. He's not going to put something out that's not absolutely going to blow everyone's minds. Terminator - Aliens - Abyss - Terminator 2 - True Lies - Titanic - Avatar. He's waiting years and years between movies, and then throws the most expensive, most successfull movie of it's time out there (people forget that even "Abyss" was the biggest movie of it's time).

Avatar 2 is going to have some min-blowing shit going on. Rumors involve a 3D system without having to put on special glasses and stuff like that.

saddestmoon, Khan 2.0 and Smellmet like this.
  13. Smellmet

Smellmet Commodore Commodore

Totally agree with this. I happen to like the original movie and think it holds up extremely well today. Yes it didn't have the greatest of plots, but not only do I not care but I also I think that's kind of missing the point with this movie - it was an experience, and I've no doubt these new ones will be too, this next one is going to be an underwater adventure from what I've read, and Cameron already has form for this, so it should be pretty amazing.

Rahul likes this.
  14. Khan 2.0

15. ChristopherPike

ChristopherPike Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

So write a decent script already, because they'll obviously want to do it... IF it's good.

You give that "Kirk meets his father" pitch blind to competing writers, and go with whichever works the best.

If that is the only condition, the field is still wide open to doing pretty much anything. Besides the necessity of having a Kirk Snr who didn't die and is now the same age as his son, you've got the choice about whether to have a villain or not. You could make time or nature or circumstances be the problem. Imagine that.

In Harve Bennett and Nick Meyer's day, they'd go through the rejected scripts and completely turn this around to suit a dissatisfied Bill Shatner or unconvinced Leonard Nimoy. More or less taking no credit for making the original writer's work better.

Last edited: May 28, 2019
    Allyn Gibson likes this.
  16. Malaika

Malaika Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Last edited: May 28, 2019
  17. King Daniel Beyond

King Daniel Beyond Fleet Admiral Admiral

XCV330, pst and Malaika like this.
  18. Malaika

Malaika Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

What it contradicts is him previoustly saying he liked the pitch.
    Perhaps the actors not liking the material enough was one of the reasons why they didn't sign for a smaller paycheck. Maybe he was offered a smaller role than the one he was supposed to have so he now uses that as reason for saying no. But even in that case money would be the main issue (getting a smaller role because they don't want to pay you for a bigger one is a compromise)

19. Khan 2.0

Maybe it was just Pine who had the pay dispute (being promised certain amount for ST4 as part of the deal for Beyond ) and maybe Thor was ok with the $ but no liked the script?..

20. pst

pst Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

if the money was there, he would've signed on for the movie and would be currently telling us they've landed on a reason to revisit it and that he's overwhelmed by what this movie brings to the table.

Rahul, Noname Given, Gepard and 4 others like this.