Star Trek 4 Enterprise-A

Discussion in 'Star Trek Movies: Kelvin Universe' started by Syd Shanshala, May 6, 2018.

1. Galileo7

Galileo7 Commodore Commodore

Perfect thought there. :techman:

2. STEPhon IT

STEPhon IT Commodore Commodore

Just looking at that clip alone just shows how well thought out that movie's production design was. Brilliant. I wish the colors were more like TOS, green, blue, and red.

Lance and Galileo7 like this.
  3. Vger23

Vger23 Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I honestly think (recognizing that this was extreme wishful thinking) that they missed a massive opportunity with the destruction of the ship and building the "A" in Beyond, which would have been giving audiences the unaltered refit design from TMP.

I thought for a fleeting second as I was first watching the film, that this was where they were going as another wonderful "50th Anniversary " nod.

4. Captain Delgado

Captain Delgado Ensign Newbie

As I recall Enterprise A was the Yorktown at the end of it's refit and was renamed Enterprise. The TOS Yorktown was 1 of the original 4 starships lost so this was one of the newest ships of the old heavy cruisers. While JJ star trek had the Enterprise delayed in getting built, when in the TOS timeline the Enterprise was 20 plus years old when Kirk took command. This makes the Constellation older than that. Here is the JJ timeline screw up because this ship and others would have been in construction at the time of the alteration of the timeline, most likely the Constitution, Yorktown and Potemkin. ( NOTE these ships had the rounded view screens compared to the square ones as seen on the Enterprise. Watch ultimate computer ) Since we only saw this new JJ -A ship like we did at the end of the Voyage home, we don't know much about where it came . As he made it appear in the 09 movie that the Enterprise was the 1st of it's kind. Also there was no Kelvin in the original TOS fleet of ships, even in the Salidan class. Just an old Trekkies observations.

5. Dukhat

Dukhat Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

There is no canon evidence that this was the case.

Lance, saddestmoon and STEPhon IT like this.
  6. Captain Delgado

Yeah the old Yorktown to Enterprise, I agree, I don't remember where that came from.

7. Dukhat

From Memory Alpha:

However, this is all non-canon info, and none of it has been validated on screen.

BTW, welcome to the forum. My last name is Delgado too :)

8. Captain Delgado

Awesome, thanks for the clarification. I have always joked that Delgado is just the Spanish version of Smith

9. Dukhat

LOL ;)

10. King Daniel Beyond

King Daniel Beyond Fleet Admiral Admiral

These days I tend to think of the Kelvin Universe as having been altered before and after Nero's incursion to 2233 (as per the latest Star Trek Encyclopedia) because it removes any and all continuity issues.

That being said, the TOS Enterprise was supposedly built in 2245. The timeline diverged in 2233. The USS Vengeance was built in only one year in 2258-59, the Enterprise 3 years 2255-58. Over in Discoland, the USS Discovery NCC-1031 was "brand new" in 2256.

So I'm not so sure things couldn't work even with a 2233 timeline divergence.:shrug:

Lance likes this.
  11. Timo

Timo Fleet Admiral Admiral

There's plenty of leeway, too. Khan need not have built the Vengeance from keel up with his own two hands: he may have given input for the suitably cruel finishing touches to a ship whose keel was laid back in 2249. But even this wouldn't make sweeping changes after 2233 an unlikely concept; entire generations of ships came and went in the 1930s through 1950s even when it took half a decade to build a capital ship or a cruiser or carrier of note.

Also, projects already well underway may result in drastically different outcomes (battlecruiser keels become carriers, tankers become tank landing ships), so a project started long before 2233 (say, ships in the 1000 range of NCCs) may spit out a ship of utterly different design decades later, with a shiny new shuttlebay floor and all - solely because of decisions made after 2233.

Timo Saloniemi

Lance likes this.
  12. pst

pst Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

didn't orci even say the dreadnaught-class was likely a pre-existing design that was co-opted by section 31? i think he was trying to explain why a model of the "secret" vengeance was displayed openly by admiral marcus.

saddestmoon likes this.
  13. M'Sharak

M'Sharak Definitely Herbert. Maybe. Moderator

Memory Alpha's entry on the Vengeance says this about that:

QMx constructed fourteen disparate props, some of which were featured as "hobby" models in Admiral Marcus' office. [1] Roberto Orci opined that having a desktop model of the Vengeance in the film was a mistake (i.e., "spoiler") and would not have been permitted if he had been present on set that day. Orci suggested "… one could argue that a pre-existing design was recommissioned and altered to be a weapon of war", at least partially justifying how the Vengeance could have been built right under Starfleet's collective "nose" without serious outcry. [2]

So it could be an explanation for what we ended up seeing in the movie, but that idea seems to have come after the fact — it wasn't baked into the script.

saddestmoon and pst like this.
  14. ExtremeSail

ExtremeSail Cadet Newbie

Sorry if this has already been addressed but why isn't Eaglemoss working on a model for the Ent-A, seeing as Star Trek 4 doesn't seen to be happening any time soon.

15. Dukhat

Funny, I always thought the desktop model of the Vengeance was meant to be a foreshadow easter egg.

16. Lance

Lance Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I would suggest you just answered your own question. ;) Sure we've seen the Kelvin-1701-A on screen, but fleetingly and with very little by way of detail. If a follow up movie 'starring' the ship were to be produced it would obviously make some sense to merchandise it, but without that movie then I'm afraid Kelvin-1701-A is really still just a footnote to her predecessor. :)

17. King Daniel Beyond

King Daniel Beyond Fleet Admiral Admiral

They merchandised the ECS Kobayashi Maru, which is on screen for about 5 seconds (and made a very inaccurate model), ao they really should do the Ent-A, which was front and centre of its own reveal sequence.

saddestmoon and Lance like this.
  18. David cgc

David cgc Admiral Premium Member

They also did the DSC version of the Enterprise immediately, with very little idea of how much the ship would appear later on, and how the model would be tweaked (I've spotted two extremely subtle differences between the season 1 and season 2 models, myself*). I've actually thought that Star Trek Forever (as they'd be fools to title it anything else) being closer to "cancelled" than "delayed" actually increased the chances of the STB version of the ship being released, since they wouldn't have to worry about it looking different when it starred in a movie and confusing all their tie-ins for that.

* (In S1, the nacelle domes only had three blades on the spinners, while they have a full set in S2, and the light bar at the bottom-front of the B/C deck teardrop is much more detailed in S2)

saddestmoon and Lance like this.
  19. saddestmoon

saddestmoon Captain Captain

C’mon Eaglemoss!!! Do it, Do it, Do it!!!! ;)

Maketh Thee Beyondeth 1701-A - forthwith!

King Daniel Beyond and pst like this.
  20. pst

pst Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

*XL

also we know someone with a pretty good model of it, if paramount doesn't want to hand over the files (@PixelMagic).