Star Trek 2009-11 years later

Discussion in 'Star Trek Movies: Kelvin Universe' started by fireproof78, Sep 3, 2020.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Smellmet

Smellmet Commodore Commodore

It was awesome. I also loved the STID intro with the primitives drawing the enterprise into the sand and the ash becoming the stars, very well done. I even really liked the opening to Beyond, which was very funny but for some reason they didn't opt for a title card which always bugged me.

publiusr, saddestmoon and Romulan_spy like this.
  2. BK613

BK613 Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I put ST09 at about number 4, ahead of all of the TNG movies and most of the TOS classics. And the original teaser remains one of my favorite movie teasers of all time.

3. Smellmet

Smellmet Commodore Commodore

I can't see any trek film unseating TWOK and TMP at the top of my trek rankings, probably due to the sheer amount of time they've been part of my life, but 09 is in third place, just ahead of the other 2 kelvin movies by the narrowest of margins, and only on account of it's originality and freshness.

4. plynch

plynch Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

First, JJ is Weyoun, and we know whom he works for.

Second, it is a visual medium. So he's pretty right. I myself like wordsy/thoughtsy things (been digging Rod Serling's TZ scripts lately).

I would second the above thought, that this was the movie I most anticipated since the TOS movies would com out -- well, no Rogue One was up there, to relive the SW universe -- ANYway, I was really hyped for this thing. I didn't know JJ from a hole in the ground, and his SW-style set-piece vibe just didn't do it for me. So it goes.

5. Khan 2.0

Khan 2.0 Commodore Commodore

trying to imagine a trek fan but not one keeping up with all the rumours and trek news online stuff so had no idea they were making a new movie and if they saw this trailer in the cinema... theyd be like 'wha? what the f**k?!' and spend the rest of whatever movie they paid to see trying to figure out what the new Trek movie was going be...'ok that was Nimoys voice from now so he must be back as Spock as Spock was alive in the TNG era but that looked like the 1st Enterprise they were building and the score and logo is like the original series so it could be a prequel like Bennett was going to do for VI with Nimoy Spock reminiscing ? or could it be set after TNG and they building an all new enterprise but like the original and 24th century spock is somehow involved?'

6. fireproof78

fireproof78 Fleet Admiral Admiral

Cool. Except, I do care and it made sense so I guess Abrams' failed because I followed what Kirk was saying and it worked within the context of the film.

So, good job Abrams and Pine.
    Indeed. 100%. I will tear up every single time George Kirk says "I love you." That one gets me so hard.

7. NCC-73515

NCC-73515 Vice Admiral Admiral

The part where the music takes over and the shuttle launches just as the baby gets born is the most epic scene in the whole franchise. And the giant logo rotating in with shiny letters saying STAR TREK as boldly as it gets still makes me very emotional. Damn I felt proud back then when I watched it with my friends who always wondered why I'm a trekkie and thought it's a boring niche show :D

This one and the 3rd one were epic!

I also had a non-trekkie friend who wouldn't stop talking about this trailer alone :D

8. publiusr

publiusr Admiral Admiral

11 years... wow

9. Richard S. Ta

Richard S. Ta Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

12 years ago. I'm old.

At the time I thought the movie was a shallow work, but I think that was more the fact that in those days I didn't have a very sharp mind in terms of critical analysis. A common complaint is the film isn't 'about' anything, but I think it's a deeper movie than many give it credit for.

Hated it when it came out, but watching it these days... it's fun, bombastic, respectful to it's roots and very enjoyable.

ChallengerHK likes this.
  10. Coops

Coops Captain Captain

I'm grateful to the movie for putting Trek back into the public consciousness in way I don't think it had been since the 1980s. Certainly it seemed like the majority of the TNG movie ticket buyers were, well, Trek fans whereas ST09 appeared to get the bigger range of audience turning up in great numbers. As much as I loved all the TNG movies I don't think there were many harassed parents taking their kids to see them in the hope of a couple of hours of peace and quiet.

Khan 2.0 and Smellmet like this.
  11. F. King Daniel

F. King Daniel Fleet Admiral Admiral

This is still my favourite Star Trek movie of all and one of my favourite movies ever.
    Spock's "coming out" scene to his father in the transporter room probably resonated with many.

saddestmoon likes this.
  12. Richard S. Ta

Richard S. Ta Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

There’s a lot too about father figures, the lack thereof and so on. I really, really need to watch it again so I can talk about it properly.

I do agree that a disproportionate amount of time is spent segueing from one action set piece to the next, but the film does have a beating, resonant heart which is all too fleetingly displayed between those segments.

I’d say of all the Star Trek films it’s the one that comes closest to being a good movie, rather than a good Star Trek movie. It stands on it’s own two feet, does it’s set up internally and requires no knowledge the source material.

It’s interesting to read that several years down the line it acted as a gateway for people who are still fans now. If a decade ago it made people curious enough to explore the wider Star Trek universe then it did exactly the job it was meant to do and then some more.

Nyotarules, Khan 2.0 and ChallengerHK like this.
  13. fireproof78

That is the strong beating heart of these three films. Kirk grows up without his dad, but living in the shadow of a heroic dad. We see him rebelling, for no other reason than because he can. And it reminded me of a story about elephants, and how they need a strong older bull to set the youngers straight and keep them from tearing up the landscape.

Pike is that figure, through and through. And Sarek is that for Spock. Both need that strong hand in the midst of their rebellious nature. But, Kirk wasn't quite done and he needed to learn the next lesson in ID. And finally Kirk had to make peace with his dad's memory in Beyond.

I agree that the pace of this film does not allow for these moments to always be clear or lingered on. But they are there.

14. Kor

Kor Fleet Admiral Admiral

I like the movie precisely because such themes fit naturally into the narrative rather than being bonked onto our heads in a clunky manner that would detract from the entertainment value, as was often the case with TNG.
    Remember that per the TOS writer's guide, a Star Trek story should be entertaining first and foremost, built "on an action-adventure framework." If the writer has 'something to say,' then it should be done in an entertaining way, not as an essay.

Kor

15. publiusr

publiusr Admiral Admiral

Today, movies won’t let you rest. The polar opposite of TMP

Mr. Laser Beam, plynch and Timewalker like this.
  16. Timewalker

Timewalker Cat-lovin', Star Trekkin' Time Lady Premium Member

In many different universes, simultaneously.
    I don't frequent this part of the forum much, so as usual I'm a bit late to the conversation.

11 years later, this is still one of the main reasons I don't like these movies.

Yes, Uhura and Spock flirted a little in a few early TOS episodes. But they never did it in the middle of critical action going on, and Uhura NEVER basically told Kirk to shut up while she worked out her boyfriend problems on duty, in a critical situation.

NuUhura was completely unprofessional when it came to her relationship with NuSpock. NuKirk should have told both of them to save it for off-duty, but he meekly shut up like a good little boy.

That's very off-putting to me.

Was that episode before or after "Amok Time"? I honestly don't remember. But in any case, Spock was being influenced by spores.

Are you talking about the TOS characters? Remember that Spock tells Uhura that T'Pring is his wife. Obviously the bonding ceremony that happens at age 7 is as legally binding as a marriage that takes place in adulthood.

Mind you, that didn't stop T'Pring from being unfaithful ("Stonn wanted me; I wanted him."). Note that I don't mean they actually had sex, but she was unfaithful within the bonding she and Spock had undergone at age 7.

Droxine... yikes. Spock goes from too embarrassed to tell his best friends about pon farr, and suddenly he's blurting everything out to some alien woman he's known for about 5 minutes?

For me the issue wasn't that Uhura is human, but rather that she was unprofessional about the relationship. She brought it to work and actually shushed her own captain so she could carry on whining to NuSpock during a mission... and he meekly shut up and let her carry on.

I don't do well with too much busywork on the screen. It's visual and aural overload, and I end up only getting a fraction out of it that most other people do. It's too fast, too frenetic, and too loud.

So to sum up: I don't like this movie one whit better now than I did in 2009 and I didn't like it at all then.

jackoverfull likes this.
  17. somebuddyX

somebuddyX Commodore Commodore

I like a lot of the film but there are some choices they made that I wish had been done differently, same with STID. To me it's the best of the reboots and maybe in like a 2nd favourites group of all Trek films. I really didn't like it when it came out.

18. jackoverfull

jackoverfull Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

If he's referring to after the spores Spock was intoxicated, it hardly counts. Earlier he showed harly any interest, it was all in leia's mind.

Pretty much!

Same here. And still can't overlook the singularity sized plot holes in the movie.

19. STEPhon IT

STEPhon IT Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

???

Star Trek's release date was May 8th, 2009. This was a little premature.

20. fireproof78

Technically correct. The best kind.

I would imagine that the point was year to year, not month to month.
    Yes, he should have. He wasn't that kind of leader yet. Kind of the point of the whole second movie.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.