Spin-Off starts shooting in Septrmber!

As someone who always found Martha something of a bland companion I say, meh.

Still Freema's probably a much better actress now and won't be sitting under the shadow cast by Rose anymore at least.

Still Freema's probably a much better actress now and won't be sitting under the shadow cast by Rose anymore at least.
Unless she meets Rose Noble and laments over the fact that of course one of the Doctor's other companions has a child named after her.

And yes, I know the comparison falls apart with the knowledge that Rose wasn't Rose Noble's birth name. But I doubt Martha would be aware of that the moment she meets Rose Noble.

I always thought Freema was a terrific actress who was held down by scripts that forced her with that trite plotline of obsessing over The Doctor. I've loved her post-Who work including Law & Order: UK and Sense8. Hell, we got a glimpse at the potential of non-obsessed Martha with her appearances on Torchwood (which coincided with that show's major uptick in quality writing).

I look forward to seeing her again with possibly better material to work with this time around.

Last edited:
Freema's decade plus in America means she's much better known over there than any other companion actor except maybe Karen. (Though her biggest role has her buried under prosthetics, so maybe not.)

Wouldn't be surprised if Disney saw that as a plus when it came to getting on board.

I really like Martha as a companion. Unfortunately, she got saddled with the unrequited pining over the Doctor stuff.

That said, I'm oddly not enthusiastic about the spinoff. Perhaps as more details are released it'll grow on me.

I always felt neutral towards Martha, I didn't dislike her but she didn't have very much unique to her as a character to hold my interest. I'm fine with seeing her come back, but its not something that excites me or anything.

Also, I'd completely forgot that they'd paired Martha with Mickey, in retrospect I question why they did it. But they could easily just not address it at all, its been over a decade and people break up all the time, I think I'd prefer them just ignoring it then bringing up Mickey ever again.

I see we're no longer using spoiler tags. Perhaps someone should add the "spoilers" prefix to the thread's title.

Even if Mickey is not mentioned by name, which I wouldn't mind at all, there should be some mention of Martha being either widowed or divorced. However, if you take RTDs "Farewell Sarah Jane" to be canon (And you'll take that away from me from my cold dead fingers), Martha and Mickey also had a child together.

Given that I think the NC stuff has resolved with no criminal proceedings, and question marks over it (not on a jumper) as well as it vanishing from discourse, maybe MS will be back as RTD looks to rehabilitate. Maybe even JB to follow suit, though TW is dead in the water post MD anyway.

Freema's decade plus in America means she's much better known over there than any other companion actor except maybe Karen. (Though her biggest role has her buried under prosthetics, so maybe not.)
I think between the MCU and Jumanji, Karen is far better known than Freema, regardless of prosphetics. Maybe I'm letting my own bias towards her show, but I really do think she has a much bigger public presence than Freema. One is known for two very successful film franchises (granted, the gulf between the two financially is massive), while the other is known for more niched (if critically-acclaimed) television (I say that not knowing anything about New Amsterdam other than she's in it and it was on NBC).

However, if you take RTDs "Farewell Sarah Jane" to be canon (And you'll take that away from me from my cold dead fingers)...
A-fucking-men.

If the description is accurate, then I'm definitely interested in the spin-off. I always liked Martha and wish they had done more with her, so if this is their way of doing more with her, I'm all for it.

I think between the MCU and Jumanji, Karen is far better known than Freema, regardless of prosphetics. Maybe I'm letting my own bias towards her show, but I really do think she has a much bigger public presence than Freema. One is known for two very successful film franchises (granted, the gulf between the two financially is massive), while the other is known for more niched (if critically-acclaimed) television (I say that not knowing anything about New Amsterdam other than she's in it and it was on NBC).
I've never even heard of New Amsterdam lol. I'm so out of touch with network TV obviously...

Given that I think the NC stuff has resolved with no criminal proceedings, and question marks over it (not on a jumper) as well as it vanishing from discourse, maybe MS will be back as RTD looks to rehabilitate. Maybe even JB to follow suit, though TW is dead in the water post MD anyway.
He does seem to be persona non-grata on TV despite that. Can't think of anything he's been in since then. Which is probably down to producers thinking No Smoke... and that he's no longer an audience draw. If clear, needs someone to hire him and prove them wrong (also, ISTR he is countersuing for career damage, so if that's still sub-judice).

She was in a great show called Sense-8 by Lana and Lilly Wachowski and J. Michael Straczynski
Yup! I mentioned that earlier. Loooved that show. Still heartbroken that it ended so quickly (but unsurprising because of the massive worldwide on-location shoots). At least we got a proper conclusion thanks to incredible outcry from the fan base. See, speaking out does help!

Bad Wolf are looking for extras who are willing to undergo lengthy prosthetic work for dates in September and October. Interestingly they're looking for people based in Buckinghamshire, North West of London, though they'll also be required for studio work in Cardiff.

It's official. Though hilariously it doesn't star Martha Jones but it does star her sister! (And before the usual suspect chimes in, I know she's not playing Tish Jones.)

Last edited:
I guess it makes sense, Gugu Mbatha-Raw is much higher profile now than she was when she was Doctor Who. If she were to return to the franchise now, it would have to be in a leading role, or something more than "someone's sister."

Oh and noticed, they mention in addition to Jemma Redrave, Alexander Devriant is coming back. Had to look him up, turns out he's Colonel Ibrahim. Wonder if they'll develop the relationship between him and Kate that was hinted at in the finale?

Watching people complain about reusing actors makes me wonder if (a) they've ever seen the Original Series* and (b) if they understand just how many years it's been since the pair briefly appeared.

*Did people in the 1960's complain when Peter Purves played two different characters in THE SAME STORY!!

Back