Spidey OUT of MCU

Discussion in 'Science Fiction & Fantasy' started by Flying Spaghetti Monster, Aug 20, 2019.

1. Tosk

Tosk Admiral Admiral

Either all films are art or none of them are.

Caretaker and Anwar like this.
  2. CorporalClegg

CorporalClegg Fleet Admiral Admiral

That's every bit as reductive and simplistic as the "All art is subjective" cop-out.

STEPhon IT and TREK_GOD_1 like this.
  3. Reverend

Reverend Admiral Admiral

Anything can be art. Whether or not it's any good is the subjective part.

4. Starfury

Starfury Captain Captain

If I remember correctly, Scorsese was a fan of Westerns growing up, but his film professor dismissed them as just being light entertainment, which Scorsese disagreed with. Hitchcock was also known as a light entertainer too and many filmmakers including Scorsese have dismissed these claims as well.

Guess you either die a hero... ;)

Anwar likes this.
  5. DEWLine

DEWLine Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

The Nth Doctor and Anwar like this.
  6. DEWLine

DEWLine Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Good question.

Holland got a good thing done here.

Anwar likes this.
  7. Tosk

Tosk Admiral Admiral

Is it? Please tell me the ironclad metric for determining which films are art and which ones aren't...but do it without being subjective.

Grendelsbayne likes this.
  8. TREK_GOD_1

TREK_GOD_1 Vice Admiral Admiral

Not even close to being true.

STEPhon IT likes this.
  9. CorporalClegg

CorporalClegg Fleet Admiral Admiral

Of course, it's all art. But there's a 'letter of the law/spirit of the law' element to it. Which is why it's a cop-out argument.

Technically speaking, the doodles you scratch in a legal pad while sitting on hold are art.

Anwar likes this.
  10. Professor Zoom

Professor Zoom Admiral Admiral

I don't line up for a superhero movie because it's art. I line up because it's--hopefully--a good time.
    Beyond the technical aspect of CGI and green screen technology, they aren't exactly pushing the art form of cinematic story telling forward.

That assumes that his goal IS to make a movie that makes 2 billion dollars. Which, I doubt is true.

However, what he has accomplished is more staggering than making 2 billions dollars at the box office. He's created some legendary movies (Raging Bull, Taxi Driver, for example) that have influenced countless artists. His films will be continued to be studied and watched. And fuck, he's someone whose opinion on something is headline news... The Russo Brothers can barely open a movie that doesn't have Marvel attached.

The guy, regardless of your personal opinion, is a legendary filmmaker.

Ovation likes this.
  11. TREK_GOD_1

TREK_GOD_1 Vice Admiral Admiral

That's never been Scorsese's desire or issue, and not all filmmakers are coveting blockbuster numbers.

Last edited: Oct 6, 2019
  12. Tosk

Tosk Admiral Admiral

I'm not being sarcastic. You're ascribing a status to something labelled "art" which is not inherent to the name.

We agree then. ;)

It's not a cop-out...in my opinion, "this is art but this is not" is just elitist bullshit, and is as subjective as anything else. If there's a film that I consider to be art and you do not, who gets to decide what is true?

Found objects. How is putting a bicycle wheel on a podium art, but hundreds of people pouring all their creative drives into one film not? Or a big canvas completely covered in red paint...some art critics would opine that it's brilliant, but other people would just wonder what the hell the point is. Are the critics full of it or are the non-critics just idiots? I'd argue that it's neither. It's all art, and it's up to the individual to decide if they like it.

As my position is "It's up to the individual" I won't argue further, and apologize if I was too argumentative for polite company. :)

Masiral, fireproof78, Booji and 2 others like this.
  13. Turtletrekker

Turtletrekker Admiral Admiral

14. urbandefault

urbandefault Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Film as high art is for those who appreciate film as high art; mostly those who make films and wish to be highly regarded as artists.

The rest of us really just want to be entertained.

15. Professor Zoom

Is it a problem if someone doesn't think Bugs Bunny isn't funny?

I don't get why everyone is so up in arms about Scorsese's comments. So he doesn't like your movies, what's the big deal?

He's not saying they shouldn't be made. He's not interested in seeing them.

Kai "the spy" likes this.
  16. urbandefault

urbandefault Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Some reporter's editor decided it was newsworthy.

Other than that, it's just an offhand comment by an old dude who did some stuff.

:techman:

17. Tosk

Tosk Admiral Admiral

They're hardly up in arms. Both of their responses seemed pretty mild to me.

18. Professor Zoom

Have you been reading this thread?

Kai "the spy" likes this.
  19. Tosk

Tosk Admiral Admiral

You quoted the Sam Jackson article and said "he (Scorsese) doesn't like your movies". You'll have to forgive me for thinking you meant the filmmakers who have responded to his statement.

20. theenglish

theenglish Vice Admiral Admiral

For a long time, of course, the very idea that any films would ever be considered "high art" was ludicrous.