Spidey OUT of MCU

Discussion in 'Science Fiction & Fantasy' started by Flying Spaghetti Monster, Aug 20, 2019.

1. That's So Bane

That's So Bane Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I'd have to say if we're living by such standards, then the vast majority of movies aren't art - including most of the 'serious/artsy' ones. Don't feel particularly informed enough on Scorsese's career as whole to try to judge that but the MCU is no less cinema than Shutter Island, The Aviator or Gangs of New York, to name a few.

Anwar and Noname Given like this.
  2. Reverend

Reverend Vice Admiral Admiral

So an old man yelled at a cloud, basically? ;)

3. Serveaux

Serveaux Tasteless and unnecessary Premium Member

Always seeking new and better distractions
    Of course Scorsese is 100% correct, and he states the matter with clarity, precision and the experience of decades of creating memorable commercial cinema of the highest quality and significance.

He gives the movies their due, saying what any fair-minded observer who's not enthralled by this factory farm film-making would: that they're well-made movies featuring good talent who do the best they can with the material.

It's not like he's exactly an ivory tower aesthete or a creator of difficult art films, is he? His career has made modern commercial film what it is, at its best, as surely as has the work of the actually gifted creators of the movies that current blockbusters mimic to such overblown, leaden effect.

So, he's one of the few folks in the industry who can tell the truth about this sort of thing without being accused of pettiness by anyone in the business but noobs and ignorant wannabes.

But Hell, I don't line up at McDonald's very often either - despite their massive ongoing success and popularity. Because I've had enough of their food to know that it's usually mediocre and briefly satisfying at most, and often it sucks. Just like most of the output of the (for now) most popular and successful studio in history.

Last edited: Oct 8, 2019
  4. crookeddy

crookeddy Commodore Commodore

Do you not feel that Star Trek to serious sci-fi is the same as the MCU is to meaningful cinema? Did you know that you are on a Star Trek message board?

Anwar likes this.
  5. Noname Given

Noname Given Admiral Admiral

Lived in and around Hollywood all my life. Hollywood has always been full of itself and people like Scorsese VASTLY overpaid. Yes, "Cinema" is a creative endeavor and a form of "Art" -- but in the end, the MAJORITY of it (including the stuff done by Scorsese) is just done as a for profit business first and foremost.

"Art" is in the eye and subjective. So Martin Scorsese doesn't feel any of the MCU films fit his interpretation of "Cinema Art", he's entitled to his opinion. That said, sorry, it is the individual and the public who pay to see what's produced to decide the "artistic value" of what's presented.

Personally, he's probably just upset none of his films (even adjusted for inflation) have netted such a HUGE Box Office result, so he's got to make himself feel better somehow; so yeah, the MCU films in his view are done by 'hacks' for money, while he's a "true arstist"...

Again, my response to his critique - Yawn, get over yourself the fact that you've never deigned to make a truly and massively popular set of films loved and enjoyed as pure entertainment by a HUGE mass of movie-goers the world over.

6. crookeddy

crookeddy Commodore Commodore

Honestly, if Scorsese wanted to make a simple MCU movie, or even MCU-style movie, it would get greenlit in a second, and he'd have the highest pay day of his career. He's not looking for that though.

ichab and Anwar like this.
  7. Serveaux

Serveaux Tasteless and unnecessary Premium Member

Always seeking new and better distractions
    :lol:

Link

8. Kate Kane

Kate Kane Admiral Admiral

Nope.

9. Unaired Kai "the spy" TV Pilot

Unaired Kai "the spy" TV Pilot Vice Admiral Admiral

Why do people have to get up in arms whenever somebody doesn't share their enthusiasm for their favorite franchise? I didn't plan on getting involved, but seeing how this has now gone on for more than a page, I checked the article to see what Scorsese actually said that was so offensive and made him so deserving of such ridicule. Like so often before (as with James Cameron and Mark Maron, for example), I found out that internet journalists used throw-away comments of personal taste-based opinions as clickbait to get people riled up in order to generate more clicks.

First thing I noticed:

So it's not like he went out of his way to slam the MCU, he didn't have an agenda here, he was specifically asked his opinion about it, so he gave his opinion.

And what he basically said (I'm not gonna quote him again, as you can read it in @Serveaux 's signature, which shows his own overenthusiasm at Scorsese's opinion), is that he tried to watch them, but they weren't the kind of films he likes, and that they felt more like theme park rides to him. That's it, that's what it comes down to. He gave them a chance, didn't personally like them, still gave them credit for being well-made and well-acted, but they're not for him.

This is what all the fuss is about? A guy is asked his opinion about a series of movies, he says he doesn't like them, and everybody is either up in arms or celebrating his words? If that doesn't show what clickbait journalism can do to public discourse, I don't know what does. Seriously, people, do you actually think he gives it that much thought? He watched some of the movies and found they weren't his taste. How much time do you spend thinking about movies that aren't for you?

Man is asked what he thinks about a series of movies. Man says they are well-made, but not to his personal taste. End. Of. Story. Please!

10. Tosk

Tosk Vice Admiral Admiral

Either all films are art or none of them are.

Caretaker and Anwar like this.
  11. Kate Kane

That's every bit as reductive and simplistic as the "All art is subjective" cop-out.

STEPhon IT and TREK_GOD_1 like this.
  12. Reverend

Reverend Vice Admiral Admiral

Anything can be art. Whether or not it's any good is the subjective part.

13. Starfury

Starfury Captain Captain

If I remember correctly, Scorsese was a fan of Westerns growing up, but his film professor dismissed them as just being light entertainment, which Scorsese disagreed with. Hitchcock was also known as a light entertainer too and many filmmakers including Scorsese have dismissed these claims as well.

Guess you either die a hero... ;)

Anwar likes this.
  14. DEWLine

DEWLine Commodore Commodore

Evil Headhunter and Anwar like this.
  15. DEWLine

DEWLine Commodore Commodore

Good question.

Holland got a good thing done here.

Anwar likes this.
  16. Tosk

Tosk Vice Admiral Admiral

Is it? Please tell me the ironclad metric for determining which films are art and which ones aren't...but do it without being subjective.

That's So Bane likes this.
  17. TREK_GOD_1

TREK_GOD_1 Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Not even close to being true.

STEPhon IT likes this.
  18. Yossarianator

Yossarianator Commodore Commodore

He always gives his all. You don't have to like his mobster films to respect that. The most serious complaint I can offer against his films is that DeNiro will say ''What did I tell you?'' or such 20 times in a row where other actors would stop at five.

THE DEPARTED was huge enough. And entertaining enough. Most of the all-time grossers don't come remotely close to it in quality. Lots of classics on first release made little to zero money..

JEANNE DIELMAN is art.
    FRIDAY the 13th is not.
    Even if they both bored the crap out of me.

Surely you can't be.....where's your sarcastic emoji?

19. Kate Kane

Of course, it's all art. But there's a 'letter of the law/spirit of the law' element to it. Which is why it's a cop-out argument.

Technically speaking, the doodles you scratch in a legal pad while sitting on hold are art.

Anwar likes this.
  20. Yossarianator

Yossarianator Commodore Commodore

He's so '70s.:cool: