So What Are you Reading?: Generations

Discussion in 'Trek Literature' started by captcalhoun, Dec 22, 2011.

1. hbquikcomjamesl

hbquikcomjamesl Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Having finished Shadows Have Offended, I spent much of last night re-reading From the Mixed-Up Files of Mrs. Basil E. Frankweiler.

Smiley likes this.
  2. Damian

Damian Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Finally finished Wonderlands and now it's on to Christopher's Living Memory. I really enjoy his 'Ex Machina' continuity, and I always love to read movie era books so looking forward to this one.

Smiley likes this.
  3. hbquikcomjamesl

Last night, I read another blast from the past: a children's novella that I first encountered when it was serialized in Children's Digest.

Call Me Bandicoot, by William Pene du Bois.

4. Greg Cox

Greg Cox Admiral Premium Member

Rereading THE BLOODY RED BARON by Kim Newman. World War I -- with vampires!

Riverside2233 and John Clark like this.
  5. hbquikcomjamesl

Sounds like something a WWI British fighter pilot might say, if asked who he was after.
    (Story goes that back in that era, anybody who piloted a rotary-engine-powered fighter had chronic diarrhea: rotaries [i.e., radials with the crank anchored to the airframe, and the propeller bolted to a spinning engine block] typically had total-loss lubrication systems that belched castor oil vapor.)

Greg Cox likes this.
  6. USS Firefly

USS Firefly Commodore Commodore

Smallville companion season 2

7. Greg Cox

In this alternate history, the Red Baron is literally a vampire -- and doesn't always need a plane!

8. Riverside2233

Riverside2233 Commander Red Shirt

Currently reading New Frontier: Martyr. It has been a HOT MINUTE since I've checked in to the forum. I'm still making my way through the LitVerse. I've bounced around a bit from the Double Helix series and finally got my first contact with Mackenzie Calhoun about a month ago. I'm still trying to figure out who to cast in my head and I'm already on book 5.

9. Riverside2233

Riverside2233 Commander Red Shirt

I must also add that I've been listening to some of the Discovery and Picard novels on Audible since my reading list is so full. Any time I get in the car I throw on an audiobook.

Recently I started listening to The Sandman by Neil Gaiman.

10. JD

JD Fleet Admiral Admiral

My favorite choice for Calhoun is Joe Flanigan from Stargate: Atlantis.
    Yesterday, I finished ST:DS9: Too Long A Sacrifice, written by Scott & David Tipton with art by Greg Scott. I enjoyed this one, like most of the Tipton's stuff, it was good but not amazing. I've never come across Greg Scott's art before, but I liked it. I especially like the fact this takes place later in series, since most stories set during the show are set during the first 3 or 4 seasons.

Riverside2233 likes this.
  11. Reanok

Reanok Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Year Zero by Rob Reid this was a fun sci fi adventure story that reminds me alot of Hitch Hiker's guide to the galaxy except it takes place in New York and other planets.I really enjoyed this book alot.

12. Cyfa

Cyfa Commodore Commodore

The Essential Calvin and Hobbes, by Bill Watterson - Delightful and hilarious, as always! :rommie:

Commander Troi and Smiley like this.
  13. USS Firefly

USS Firefly Commodore Commodore

Smallville companion season 6

14. Greg Cox

Hah! That moment when you're finishing up an old novel from 1995 and had completely forgotten that you're cited in the Acknowledgments!

15. Reanok

Reanok Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Star trek Tng Devils heart by Carmen Carter

16. Damian

Damian Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I decided to continue reading The Prometheus Design by S&M.....um, sorry, I mean C&M :nyah:.

So far? Not terrible like their Phoenix novels. But not great either. It is a post-TMP novel which pokes at my attention just a bit, since I always like reading movie era books. However C&M have this fetish with wanting to see Kirk emasculated and brought down. Yet again, Kirk suffers from some condition which means Spock has to become the alpha male and make Kirk subservient. Totally out of character for Kirk. And C&M seemed to have forgotten Spock's great epiphany after his encounter with V'Ger, making him more like how he was when he rejoined the ship, but worse, almost cruel (though I'll see how that part goes, there is some implication that perhaps he's being influenced by some outside force).

I just don't get this need C&M seemed to have had to make Kirk into some subservient character who apparently craves Spock's attention and approval. :rolleyes:

17. Allyn Gibson

Allyn Gibson Vice Admiral Admiral

There's a name I've not heard in a decade...

The recent Bloom County storyline with Hobbes looking for Calvin in 2021 was delightful. The final strip was art, because I couldn't tell where Breathed's sensibilities ended and Watterson's began.

I've been thinking recently of rereading this one. I have fond memories of it. :)

18. Commander Troi

Commander Troi Geek Grrl Premium Member

I just finished Uprooted by Naomi Novik. A wonderful fantasy book that reads like a fairy tale.

19. Stevil2001

Stevil2001 Vice Admiral Admiral

I haven't read Uprooted yet but I was blown away by Spinning Silver.

Commander Troi likes this.
  20. JD

JD Fleet Admiral Admiral

A couple days ago, I finished Chew Vol. 4: Flame, which was just as awesome as the first three. After that, I started Star Trek: Voy.: To Lose the Earth by Kirsten Beyer. I hadn't originally planned on this being my next novel read, but after I hit that cliffhanger at the end of Architects of Infinity, it had to be next, after a short comic book brake.

Last edited: Aug 20, 2021