So What Are you Reading?: Generations

Discussion in 'Trek Literature' started by captcalhoun, Dec 22, 2011.

1. JD

JD Fleet Admiral Admiral

I've put a cast list Vanguard based off of my own ideas, recommendations on here and ideas put out by the writers. If you're interested I can post it.

2. Nyotarules

Nyotarules Vice Admiral Moderator

I recommend after Distant read the first story of Declassified - Almost tomorrow then start the Harbinger series

Last edited: Apr 3, 2017
    Riverside2233 likes this.
  3. JD

JD Fleet Admiral Admiral

I finished up The Flintstones collection a little while ago. I'll go ahead and code my ramblings so people who aren't interested can skip them.
    Wow, the next couple issues definitely took a turn for the darker. With #3 dealing with how we treat soldiers who come home from war and also giving us a very unique alien invasion. I was pretty happy with how they handled both stories. Dealing with stuff like the soldiers reactions to returning home from war can be touchy, but I thought they did a good job of it. They managed to find humor, without making fun of the soldiers, which can be hard sometimes. The whole Galactic Breakers storyline was a fun, unique take on alien invasions and out of control spring breakers. I was a little disappointed that they killed Joe though, I was hoping he'd get the help was obviously was looking for.
    #4 was a pretty good take on gay marriage with regular marriage standing in. I really liked the stuff with Bowling Ball and the vacuum cleaner, who's name I can't remember.
    I like getting more details about the war against the Tree People in #5, and them tying Bamm-Bamm into it was a nice surprise.
    I couldn't help but think of our current situation and the last election during the stuff dealing with Bedrock's Mayoral election. The whole bit with Crod the Destroyer being confronted about his name was especially appropriate.
    After the first issue and now #6, I'm starting to feel kind of bad for poor Mr. Slate. I got a big kick out of Prof. Sargon, and I liked his "computer" in #6. The different reactions to their belief the world was ending were pretty good. Them leaving the church and going to the mall seemed especially true. The way Sargon made his mistake was pretty good.

Idran likes this.
  4. Trekfan12

Trekfan12 Captain Captain

Constellations by Marco Palmieri it's an anthology

5. JD

JD Fleet Admiral Admiral

I started reading ST Titan: Absent Enemies by John Jackson Miller (@JJMiller) during my break at work.

6. Lonemagpie

Lonemagpie Writer Admiral

EIGHT MILLION WAYS TO DIE by LAWRENCE BLOCK: One of the Matt Scudder books, and in this case the one which goes properly full-length (the previous four or so were much shorter) and sets the lead character on a path of actual development. Not bad at all- the plot holds together, the clues are there for the reader to work out what actually happened and why, and as always there's an air of reality to NYC in it for thoseof us who have never been there. Downsides were a few too many repetitive stops at AA meetings, and the fact that the actual killer (even when we've worked out what's going on) is a new character who only appears for the two or three paragraphs of his revelation, and this is a bad trait for a whodunnit to have. Still, very good otherwise.

7. Reanok

Reanok Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I finished reading A mystery novel Dead bath and beyond by Loraine Barrett.

8. indianatrekker26

indianatrekker26 Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

I've decided to started into all if the Lost Era books, beginning with the sundered. I look forward to reading this era.

9. JD

JD Fleet Admiral Admiral

You're in for some good reading, the TLE books I've read have all be really good. Serpents Among the Ruins, The Art of the Impossible, The Buried Age, and Day of the Vipers are some of my absolute favorite Trek books.

indianatrekker26 likes this.
  10. Lonemagpie

Lonemagpie Writer Admiral

STING OF THE ZYGONS by Stephen Cole

With my head stuffed with a cold, and feeling all dizzy, I felt like some lightweight comfort-reading, and Dr Who with some old monsters fits the bill nicely. A fun period romp with Ten and Martha, and good use of the Zygons a few years before their return to TV.

I did have a weirded out moment when the plot gets on to a missing maid called Clara, immediately making me think of all those lives of the Impossible Girl, even though this book came out in 2007 (yeah, I had to look at the copyrights page to check, I'm that sad), so it seems oddly prophetic as well!

11. Reanok

Reanok Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Keeper of the castle Juliet Blackwell

12. John Clark

John Clark Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Oops - edit because wrong thread.

Bookwise - I've been reading You Suck by Christopher Moore

Last edited: Apr 10, 2017
  13. JD

JD Fleet Admiral Admiral

I started reading Star Wars: Darth Vader Vol. 2: Shadows and Secrets (digital version), the second collected edition of Marvel's canon Darth Vader comic series.

14. bbailey861

bbailey861 Admiral Admiral

Indistinguishable from Magic by David A. McIntee. What a ride.

Lonemagpie and Paris like this.
  15. Laura Cynthia Chambers

Laura Cynthia Chambers Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Matthew West's Hello My Name Is. I review music and books for a website. http://todayschristianent.com (Not an ad - explaining that's why I have my copy early.)

16. Nyotarules

Nyotarules Vice Admiral Moderator

Star Trek Vanguard - Declassified (boy this series is long)

Riverside2233 and Idran like this.
  17. Burning Hearts of Qo'nOs

Burning Hearts of Qo'nOs Commodore Commodore

Currently halfway though Children of Time by Adrian Tchaikovsky. This book is definitely a good sci-fi read!

18. Riverside2233

Riverside2233 Commander Red Shirt

Just finished VAN Harbinger. I was really impressed with the solid mix of action, exposition, humor, etc. From Reyes to Quinn to Pennington there were so many well-set-up storylines to get the series going. It was also good to see the Enterprise crew in action after reading so many pre-5YM novels.

The Taurus Reach certainly opens up so many possibilities for the Tholians, Klingons, Federation, and the Shedai. I applaud the blend of originality with the established Trek universe. I have so many of the characters pictured in my mind that VAN feels like an early DS9.

I should start Summon the Thunder this weekend.

Nyotarules, Jinn and Idran like this.
  19. Idran

Idran Commodore Commodore

While there's a good chance it'd conflict with your mental images, David Mack put up his casting thoughts for Harbinger on his annotations page for the book if you're curious how the author pictured them. :D

Riverside2233 likes this.
  20. Riverside2233

Riverside2233 Commander Red Shirt

Thanks for this. Lol. Naturally not a single one matched up with my mental image but no worries. I thought my ideas were maybe too mainstream but it's good to see the author visualizing equally recognizable names.