So What Are you Reading?: Generations

Discussion in 'Trek Literature' started by captcalhoun, Dec 22, 2011.

1. JD

JD Fleet Admiral Admiral

I'm far enough into the stuff I've been reading I decided to throw another book into the mix. I started Hounded, the first book in Kevin Hearn's Iron Druid Chronicles. I've been curious to read this series since I found out that it takes place near where I live.

Last edited: Jan 12, 2014
  2. Christopher

Christopher Writer Admiral

^It takes place in your home? You mean, like, in your kitchen or something? ;)

3. JD

JD Fleet Admiral Admiral

Oops, that was just supposed to be near where I live. I started to write home town, but changed my mind because it's not actually my home town, just another part of the Phoenix area. Fixed it.

4. Admiral_Young

Admiral_Young Fleet Admiral Admiral

I just started to read "Star Trek The Fall: The Crimson Shadow" By Una McCormack and also started Christopher's Only Superhuman.

5. Endgame

Endgame Lieutenant Commander Red Shirt

Sorry, if I added a computer gripe to my last posting about reading "Shadow Lord" by Laurence Yep (1985, ST-TOS #22). My computer is running better than before and I am happy with the team at an anonymous corporation. Services were free. The e-mail came back the very next day. Have my Star Trek library too.

6. Reanok

Reanok Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Startrek TNG A Time to die by John Vornholt.

7. Reanok

Reanok Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I'm reading Star Trek TNG book3 A Time to sow by Dayton Ward& Kevin Dilmore. This book is certainly better written than John Vornholt's novels that start off this series.I really didn't care for the storyline of Wesley Crusher traveler storyline in the first 2 books.I got bored reading about Wesley Crusher the first 2 novels.

8. Use of Time

Use of Time Commodore Commodore

Just finished the first Double Helix novel Infection. Quick and easy read but not a lot of substance to this one. Hopefully the other writer's can pick up the pace a little bit.

9. ronny

ronny Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

That was my feeling exactly. Wesley had super powers that made him capable of doing just about anything which made it pretty boring to me. The Vornholt books were the only pair that didn't work for me. I was never in the "you only need to read the last three books" camp. The Mack pair is obviously the best but I think the Ward/Dilmore pair is the 2nd best. Then Greenberger then the Vornholt, whom I normally find entertaining but not in this series.

10. KRAD

KRAD Keith R.A. DeCandido Admiral

:sigh:

11. ryan123450

ryan123450 Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Reading Star Wars: Purge. Glad this was finally collected in trade paperback.

12. NightJim

NightJim Captain Captain

Finally got hold of a second hand copy of A Rock and a Hard Place, which slightly defeats the original purpose of this Peter David dive back, but I'll be reading that soon as I finish The Long Earth by Terry Pratchett and Stephen Baxter

13. Use of Time

Use of Time Commodore Commodore

The Final Nexus by Gene DeWeese.

14. zarkon

zarkon Captain Captain

lol

Well, I guess you didn't write a duology for "a time to" so you're not in the "pair" club.

Although for me you did write the best one, and with it introduced a great original character who lasted almost ten years.

Enjoy proto-calhoun! This is the book that got me into treklit to begin with when I was a kid.

15. BritishSeaPower

BritishSeaPower Captain Captain

Been a few months. I finally finished out Over a Torrent Sea. Busy Sept. - Dec. meant not a lot of time for reading. Didn't groove to Torrent Sea at first but the last half really hooked me into finishing it this week. A little freer now so hopefully I can get back in the Trek Lit groove.

Started up Voyager: Unworthy last night, too. About 30 pages in. Enjoyable so far, though there's a weird bit where Chakotay tells Icheb about what it was like for Seven to be Borg. I know it's for the reader's benefit but it just felt weird. Still, everything else is great.

I also read the recent Doctor Who eBook Time Trips: The Death Pit. A lot of fun, but it does feel unfinished. Like it's a two-parter or begging a sequel.

16. KRAD

KRAD Keith R.A. DeCandido Admiral

Grazie. :)

17. Kertrats47

Kertrats47 Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Really enjoyed it! It's the first Star Wars novel I've ever read, so I don't have anything to compare it to, but it was very enjoyable and well-written. Although, due to my comparative lack of encyclopaedic knowledge of the Star Wars universe, I had to have the Wookiepedia open on nearly every page to look up the various species that were mentioned!

18. ronny

ronny Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Hey, sorry man, that was unintentional. I know I was thinking about where to place the final book in my list but I guess that thought didn't make it to my fingers.

I put KRAD between Ward/Dilmore and Greenberger. That's why always say I'm not in the "just read the last three books" camp, because I like Ward/Dilmore pair a little bit more than the final volume. It's good, I just liked W/D more.

And like I said, I liked them all except for the Vornholt books which just didn't work for me.

19. BritishSeaPower

BritishSeaPower Captain Captain

I think with the exception of Mack's books, the series should have been single-installment books. All of the others felt stretched out, over long and fairly weak, more to fit with a theme then the books necessitating two parts. Ward/Dilmore's is probably the next strongest behind Mack & KRAD, but there is still a lot of downtime in there that could have been excised.

20. ryan123450

ryan123450 Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Now I'm reading Citadel of God by Louis deWohl about the life of St. Benedict. Counting the days until my copy of Voyager: Protectors arrives.