So What Are you Reading?: Generations

Discussion in 'Trek Literature' started by captcalhoun, Dec 22, 2011.

1. ronny

ronny Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Finished listening to the Audible version of Kill the Dead by Richard Kadrey, the 2nd Sandman Slim novel. The voice of the main character makes these books great for listening to. I haven't listened to that many audio books but this one makes me want to move on to the next in the series.

I also finished reading Atomsk by Carmichael Smith, also known as Cordwainer Smith. This was an early spy thriller written before he started publishing his science fiction. It had an extremely skillful agent but with out the toys a Bond type agent would have. There are also some Psych Warfare trappings which isn't surprising considering the authors real life background and experience. A fun quick read.

2. Mage

Mage Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Reading some Pratchett at the moment, finished Mort a few days and reading Hogfather now. I loved the tv-movies of Hogfather and The Color Magic, and my girlfriend loves Pratchett, so I'm giving it a shot. After Hogfather, I'll be trying a few of the Witches novels. My girlfriend was Granny Weatherwax in a play of Maskerade a few years back, and I've dying to try the novel.

3. Greg Cox

Greg Cox Admiral Premium Member

Just started Night Film by Marisha Pessl, which appears to be a noirish thriller about a disgraced journalist investigating the mysterious suicide of the daughter of reclusive cult horror-movie director. I'm finding it pretty compelling so far.

4. 2of1million

2of1million Captain Captain

I finished The Poisoned Chalice and now I'm already on chapter four of Peaceable Kingdoms. I am loving The Fall! :bolian:

5. Paris

Paris Commodore Commodore

I just finished KRAD's TLE: The Art of the Impossible, and it made me want more Klingon stories, so i've got right into Diplomatic Implausibility while i wait for Peaceable Kingdom to show up :klingon:

6. Captain Clark Terrell

Captain Clark Terrell Commodore Commodore

Got several Trek books for Christmas! I've finished Watching the Clock and The Poisoned Chalice and am currently reading Mere Anarchy.

For non-Trek books, I recently finished The Innocent and The Hit by David Baldacci.

--Sran

7. ronny

ronny Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Starting off the year just like last year, reading an old school Trek novel. Last year, Dwellers in the Crucible. This year, Time for Yesterday. Not really feeling it. It's one of those novels where our heroes seem to spend a lot of time on a primitive planet trying to resolve some crisis. Just not my favorite trope. There's at least a hundred pages of them on some planet with Zar doing political stuff, 30 pages of solving the problem with the Guardian then it looks like we're back to the Zar's home world to save the time stream and maybe keep him alive.

Looks like I'm going to have to order Peaceable Kingdoms since it seems this is one of those months where the local store just doesn't order this months book.

8. John Clark

John Clark Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Peaceable Kingdoms at the moment.

Before that, I was reading Executive Actions by Gary Grossman.

9. Reanok

Reanok Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I'm reading StarTrek The Peaceable kingdoms It's a really great followup to the The poisoned chalice.

10. C. Cole-Chakotay

C. Cole-Chakotay Commodore Commodore

I'm reading Prodigy by Marie Lu, the second book in the Legend trilogy. :)

11. JD

JD Fleet Admiral Admiral

How is the Legend series? That's one of the series I'm planning on reading soon.

EDIT: I finished reading the last novella in the fourth ST:SCE collection, Oaths, and started reading the third novel in Ilona Andrews' Kate Daniels series, Magic Strikes.

Last edited: Jan 3, 2014
  12. Spocky8492

Spocky8492 Lieutenant Junior Grade Red Shirt

It seems that every beginning of a new year I have a desire to read Star Trel novels. Last year I read 6 Star Trek novels from January to April. As last year I read Sword of Damocles and Greater than the sum, this new year I'm finally reading the Destiny trilogy. I'm currently reading Gods of night

13. C. Cole-Chakotay

C. Cole-Chakotay Commodore Commodore

It's pretty good. I'm enjoying it.

14. Sho

Sho Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

I've recently started studying Korean, and am slowly making my way through the Integrated Korean series of study books.

15. kirk55555

kirk55555 Vice Admiral Admiral

I just finished reading the Haynes Klingon Bird of Prey Owners Manual. I love Star Trek tech/ship stuff, and this was an awesome book. Everything you every wanted to know about a klingon bird of prey.

I'm also still reading Star Trek TNG: Section 31 - Rogue. Its a decent book so far.

16. Cap'n Crunch

Cap'n Crunch Captain Captain

Since my last post I've finished Star Trek: New Frontier: Treason by Peter David.

I then read Percy Jackson & the Olympians: The Last Olympian by Rick Riordan.

I followed that up with Star Trek: New Frontier: Blind Man's Bluff by Peter David, which I finished yesterday.

Yesterday I read A Very Klingon Khristmas by Paul Ruditis & illustrator Patrick Faricy, which I received for Christmas.

Last night I read the the short story "The Doom that Came to Sarnath" by H.P. Lovecraft.

And finally, last night I also started Only Superhuman by Christopher L. Bennett.

17. Gul Re'jal

Gul Re'jal Commodore Commodore

Gul Re'jal is suspecting she's on the wrong space
    Peaceable Kingdoms.

18. Kertrats47

Kertrats47 Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

19. Greg Cox

Greg Cox Admiral Premium Member

Just finished NIGHT FILM, which I'm reluctant to say too much about, because figuring out what kind of book it was part of the experience. (The flap copy calls it a "literary thriller" so let's go with that.)

20. JD

JD Fleet Admiral Admiral

I finished up The Amazing Spider-Man: Brand New Day Vol. 1 earlier today. I posted my thoughts in my comic book thread over in the Sci-Fi/Fantasy forum.
    EDIT: Since I'm done with Spidey, I'll be starting STTNG: Dark Mirror later today. I've had this one sitting around for over a decade and I've never actually read it. I'm going to correct that mistake now. Before anybody warns me, I am going into this aware that it is a totally different version of the MU then we got in the DS9 arc and all of the MU stories after it.

Last edited: Jan 4, 2014