Sisko the religious extremist

Discussion in 'Star Trek: Deep Space Nine' started by Mel Tenorio, Aug 10, 2017.

1. DonIago

DonIago Vice Admiral Admiral

Is there any evidence to suggest that the MU is even aware of the Prophets? We know the earrings serve more than simply a religious purpose, so I wouldn't call that conclusive evidence.

2. Jetboogieman

Jetboogieman Commander Red Shirt

I'm one of these insane people that actually doesn't like the Mirror Universe in any way shape or form in any series.

Much like Time Travel episodes, I prefer to think of them as non-canon, just for myself.

3. Mr. Laser Beam

Mr. Laser Beam Fleet Admiral Admiral

IIRC, no one in the mirror universe knows the wormhole exists.

4. at Quark's

at Quark's Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

In the DS9 prime universe, there is no suggestion the Bajorans as a people knew anything about the wormhole before the time of Emissary. Yet they still believed in the Prophets.

Last edited: Dec 3, 2017
  5. Voth commando1

Voth commando1 Commodore Commodore

In a sub-sub atomic universe with kittens
    According to the novel canon-the prophets exist throughout the multiverse as the same.

I imagine the bajorans in the MU don't care though-most of them are better off economically and have other things to occupy their thoughts and time.

6. DonIago

I'm not sure anyone's really addressed my question...I wasn't asking about the existence of the wormhole, just belief in the Prophets.

7. Nyotarules

Nyotarules Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

In the novelverse its an underground religion

8. Tenacity

Tenacity Commodore Commodore

I don't think there's any evidense one way or the other. The Prophets might have been sending the mirror Bajorans orbs at the same rate as the prime universe.
    The prime universe Bajorans knew there was a passage, in which was the Celestial Temple, the Prophets lived in the temple.

That the passage was a wormhole was the part they don't know.

9. DonIago

^Thanks. I've likely read the relevant books but couldn't recall.

10. Voth commando1

Voth commando1 Commodore Commodore

In a sub-sub atomic universe with kittens
    As stated previously Prophet worship does exist but appears to be an underground religion(makes sense Bajor in the MU is authoritarian and apparently secular).

11. at Quark's

at Quark's Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Ah, forgot about the Celestial Temple terminology, you're right in that.

Anyway, doesn't really change my main point which was that knowledge of the wormhole isn't required for belief in the prophets. And obviously, as in most mythologies, deities would have to live somewhere. (short of being omnipresent, of course).

12. WarpTenLizard

WarpTenLizard Commander Red Shirt

Dude, I love that idea!

13. Sisko_is_my_captain

Sisko_is_my_captain Captain Captain

Since the prophets caused Ben Sisko to be conceived, how did mirror-Sisko exist?

CorporalCaptain likes this.
  14. Bad Thoughts

Bad Thoughts Commodore Commodore

Sisko was born and then the Prophets intervened in his conception. It's not linear.

15. Tenacity

Tenacity Commodore Commodore

The prime-verse and the mirror-verse are obviously tied together in some fashion, with exceptions people have counterparts in the other universe.

The Prophets created the Sisko in one universe, and therefor a Sisko was conceived in the other.

Counter balance?

16. CorporalCaptain

CorporalCaptain Admiral Admiral

Maybe Sarah Sisko had been possessed by a Pah-wraith in the Mirror Universe? :lol:

17. JirinPanthosa

JirinPanthosa Vice Admiral Admiral

I'd like to see some Trek writer try to canonically explain why most of the same people exist in both universes. Like without fail, all the same people in totally different circumstances had sex on the same day, and combined the exact same DNA.

You'd probably have to recruit the physics of the probability affecting game balls.

18. kkt

kkt Captain Captain

Overanalysing. The mirror universe is supposed to be a change of pace for the audience and the actors. Don't expect it to make too much sense.

19. DonIago

^That doesn't mean an entertaining story couldn't be written about how it came about.

20. JaxsBrokenHeart

JaxsBrokenHeart Lieutenant Commander Red Shirt

There's a potential nonlinear twist; the Prophets actually created the Mirror Sisko first, but then the Prime Sisko ends up in the Mirror Universe. Realizing this is the true Emmisary they then retroactively both conceive him and alter the wormhole in "Crossover" to make sure Kira and Bashir end up on Mirror Terok Nor to kick off the Terran resistance which is what brings Prime SIsko over in "Through the Looking Glass"

Prophets: Masters of stable time loop.

kkt likes this.