Should we get 24th century movie/mini-series to bring closure to that era of Trek?

Discussion in 'Future of Trek' started by Jayson1, Mar 25, 2017.

1. Voth commando1

Voth commando1 Commodore Commodore

In a sub-sub atomic universe with kittens
    Problem is that while TNG/VOY/DS9/ENT made up the overwhelming bulk of the franchise only TOS has really entered popular consciousness. The man on the street could probably tell you a little about Spock or Kirk.

Honestly though that bulk I mentioned is the real meat, the high, the low, the soul, and heart and mind of the franchise but most people simply will never appreciate that.

Shaka Zulu likes this.
  2. Refuge

Refuge Vice Admiral Admiral

Popular consciousness can veer into familiarity breeding contempt. The fondness I have for TOS is loyalty only now, it is not wonder. I have watched the prequels with bitter comparison. I can't help it if I didn't like Chris Pine, lol. I hate myself for not liking any of them but the guy playing McCoy. I tried to watch Enterprise and might give it another shot.. but did they have to go all desperate on us by alluding to TOS with Discovery? Trying to suck on its reflected glory, which has faded?

If people want to spew they myth that 24th Century and beyond is to be wrapped up, then it just shows their own limitations.

3. RomulanCommander

RomulanCommander Lieutenant Junior Grade Red Shirt

I would have loved to see one last movie or miniseries with a mixed cast. I held out hope it would happen until May 2009, when Star Trek 2009 hit theaters. That's when I realized it wouldn't happen. It would be a little late if they tried one now. Unfortunately, the closest they got to a mixed cast finale is These are the Voyages, on Enterprise.

4. Refuge

Why would it be a little late? I don't see the reasoning behind not going forward. Totally mystified in fact. In fact why the need for it to be a 'last' hurrah?

I get what you are saying though when it comes to expectations. This is an example where gasp.. Star Wars owns Star Trek as far as vision. They did all their prequels and then manned up and carried on the story. There is hope Star Trek might do the same one day.

5. The Old Mixer

The Old Mixer Mih ssim, mih ssim, nam, daed si Xim. Moderator

If anything, the TNG films were a little early. They didn't have that "getting the band back together" appeal that the TOS films enjoyed.

jaime likes this.
  6. RomulanCommander

RomulanCommander Lieutenant Junior Grade Red Shirt

It's late in the sense that many of the actors have moved on.

7. Refuge

Okay, yes I see what you mean.

8. Relayer1

Relayer1 Admiral Admiral

And they weren't very good.

cultcross likes this.
  9. TommyR01D

TommyR01D Captain Captain

If 1987 was 2364 and 2001 was 2378, then 2017 would be 2395.

Of course, any such film is several years away if it happens at all, so it may well have to be set in the early 25th century to account for actors' ageing.

Still, they can get their money's worth out of those future uniforms.

Rahul and somebuddyX like this.
  10. SolarisOne

SolarisOne Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

I think the novels handle a continuation of 24th century Trek better than any movie or miniseries would do.

Nyotarules likes this.
  11. somebuddyX

somebuddyX Commodore Commodore

I think the 50th anniversary would have been the perfect time to do this but since that's past us I don't see it happening. I would have loved a one hour special each for TNG, DS9 and VOY.

12. Vger23

Vger23 Vice Admiral Admiral

No. No we should not.

13. Tenacity

Tenacity Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

A continuation movie could be set a few months after Nemesis.

The movie should not only get the TNG-DS9-VOY casts together, but should also completely quash and erase everything in the novel-universe between Nemesis and today.

Just to hear the heads exploding around here.

14. Vger23

Now THAT'S a project I could get behind. Again, just to hear the primal scream of discontent and anguish that would result.

15. SolarisOne

I take it you don't like the post-Nemesis litverse?

16. Vger23

Bunch of convoluted crossover fanwank galactic politics: "how will the Calamarain and Pakled alliance threaten the destabilized Romulan government...and what will the Tholians think?"

But other than that, I think they're great.

SolarisOne likes this.
  17. SolarisOne

To each their own. :P

18. USS Triumphant

USS Triumphant Vice Admiral Admiral

Here's a proposal for how to do this ultimate mixed-cast movie we're talking about:
    Go ahead and write an epic story that involves all of the living actors and their characters, or as many as can coherently be included. Hell, include the nuTrek crew IF it can make sense to. Use canned footage and CGI for the important parties like Nimoy and Doohan and Yelchin - but make sure it's done well. Don't worry about the length of the script, because if this turns into a trilogy, everyone is going to be fine with that, I promise.

Film anything and everything that can be filmed for that, now or ASAP. Film some optional footage for the Discovery crew, too.

Once Discovery has ended, hopefully as a success 7 years or so down the line, then come back to this material and add to it - new footage with all of the actors older.

The movie/trilogy is a time-hopping adventure that deals with some massive last threat occurring over the span of all of Trek and even maybe the Mirror, Prime, and Nu universes. And, some characters die in meaningful sacrifices, but in the end, the effects are that 1. the Temporal Cold War is cancelled out and time travel itself is made unreliable and uncontrollable (some sort of weapon from the Continuum?), and 2. we're left with the idea that true and lasting peace has been brought to the Milky Way - the Dominion, the Voth, etc, everyone we know about - at least for a while, probably due to cooperative efforts to rebuild from massive amounts of destruction or tech disruption because of the weapon. And our heroes are left with naught to do but to either retire in peace or to actually *explore* the unknown systems of the galaxy - "happily ever after".

And then the next series is either that - a new series for the actors that want to sign on - or an entirely new crew with almost no baggage, exploring a neighboring galaxy in the late 25th/early 26th century :)

One more thing: kidnap the marketing geniuses for the Marvel movies and get them to work on this. ;)

19. SailorLadyGaga

SailorLadyGaga Lieutenant Red Shirt

I want to see what happens to the federation post Nemisis/Voyager.

20. Oz Trekkie

Oz Trekkie Lieutenant Commander Red Shirt

My preference would be for the next Star Trek series to be set well into the future from the 24th century and to take into account all that has happened in the novels since Nemesis. I would hate for all the novels and the work the authors have done in continuing the series to be for nothing if a new series set close to the 24th century.

USS Triumphant likes this.