Should a new Stargate show be a reboot or a revival?

Discussion in 'Science Fiction & Fantasy' started by Lordcommanderdarkwolf, Sep 1, 2023.

?

Should a new Stargate show be a reboot or a revival?

1. Reboot

33.3%
  2. Revival

66.7%
  1. fireproof78

fireproof78 Fleet Admiral Admiral

That wasn't interesting?

So we follow a poor archeologist with theories not supported by broader academia until after he joins the program?

2. Michael Two Wolves

Michael Two Wolves Commander Red Shirt

It would be interesting to see a young Daniel Jackson having brushes with characters we all know play major roles in his life later on. Sort of a Lost meets Stargate. lmao And heck yeah, Jack's early life would be interesting. You don't get hand-picked to be part of a TS/SCIF like SGC without having some ridiculous adventures.

3. fireproof78

So, now, instead of a revival we're looking at a prequel.

Ok, well, that's definitely the trend nowadays.

4. bdub76

bdub76 Captain Captain

Despite liking Picard, I don’t want to watch senior sci-fi. Let the actors age gracefully on Hallmark and GAC.

Ragitsu likes this.
  5. Michael Two Wolves

Eh, if they did it right, they could have a Young Indiana Jones on their hands (a show that really should have gotten more buzz, tbh). But I get it. I really want to hear more about Borg that have broken from the Collective, myself.

Disposable_Ensign likes this.
  6. Disposable_Ensign

Disposable_Ensign Commander Red Shirt

I thought Young Indy perfectly captured the spirit of Old Indy. That's the kind of prequel we need more of.

Michael Two Wolves likes this.
  7. Michael Two Wolves

I think it worked as well as it did because they didn't try to tie it to the old series but completely made new adventures that still fit within the framework of Indy's history. I think the first episode was about a cross of Coronado or something, but it became the plot device for the season. Stargate could easily do something similar with any of the characters or bits of technology and lore that were touched on but glossed over.

8. Markonian

Markonian Fleet Admiral Moderator

Haven’t we learned the lesson that most prequels are awful?

9. Disposable_Ensign

Disposable_Ensign Commander Red Shirt

Yup.

Markonian likes this.
  10. Michael Two Wolves

What about a real prequel?

Why not show the discovery of the Stargate way back in the day? Make that the basis for the entire series, which would be doubly fun for the audience because we all know the ultimate fate of the Stargate decades later. A show about uncovering it, and then shipping it out and the experiments done with it. There's a lot of fodder there.

11. bdub76

bdub76 Captain Captain

I’d go back to when the earth was originally invaded and end it with the burying of the Stargate.

Last edited: Sep 20, 2023
  12. Michael Two Wolves

Even better! Quick! Someone contact Brad Wright! :beer:

13. fireproof78

Scorpion King meets Stargate.

14. Michael Two Wolves

Um...something wrong wth the like button...

I can only hit it once??? I don't think so.

[​IMG]

15. F. King Daniel

F. King Daniel Fleet Admiral Admiral

Watching Stargate Origins. More convinced a reboot is necessary than ever. All new creative forces. This film is terrible in concept and execution.

16. Nomad

Nomad Commander Red Shirt

I voted for revival. But with a new SG-1, the original characters only appearing sporadically. I loved that team, but obviously there would be new personnel by this time.

17. David cgc

David cgc Admiral Premium Member

Origins was all-new creative forces. The only behind-the-scenes aspects carried over from the TV franchise was Connor Trinneer and the DHD prop (which was actually loaned to them by a collector who'd bought it at auction). There were some game attempts to reconcile it with the show on the tie-in website, but it very much was a reboot.

(It's not really a connection with the TV franchise, but the actor who played Catherine as a child at the very beginning of the original movie had a cameo as one of the federal agents at the end of Origins.)

18. Christopher

Christopher Writer Admiral

You're right that it was from a different creative team, but it does draw on concepts established in SG-1: The Langfords being American, the Germans having prior familiarity with the Stargate (in the series they found the DHD in 1906), the concept of a Harcesis, the term "Tau'ri" for Terrans. Its production design draws more on the movie, but it's clearly intended to be in continuity with the series.

19. JD

JD Fleet Admiral Admiral

The best way to handle a reboot is the come at the stories and concepts from a different perspective. You need to find a new way to approach things like the way Ron Moore approached the BSG concept with a slightly more grounded style and a more serious tone, or the new Fresh Prince, which changed the sitcom into a drama. I'll confess haven't watched the Fresh Prince yet, so I don't know if it pulls it off as well as BSG did.
    I also haven't watched the Netflix reboot of One Day of a Time, which changed the family it focused on from white to latino, but a lot of people seemed to really like. They did something similar with The Wonder Years reboot, which changed it from a while family to a black family.
    There is no point making reboot if you're just going to do the same thing the original show did, just with new actors. You need to find a new way to tell the story.
    So you want a Stargate series with no sci-fi elements in it at all? Doesn't that kind of defeat the point of making it a Stargate series? At that point wouldn't be easier to just make a total new series since you won't be using the stuff that actually draws to a Stargate show, and that would lose all the extra baggage that would just unnecessarily complicate things?

20. Michael Two Wolves

First, they could tell the same story only through the eyes of the people the stories affected in the original. Why not see what the Jaffa were doing the whole time off camera or others?

Also not really what i said or meant. You could see a young Daniel Jackson getting handled by the intelligence agencies without realizing it and the viewers get to see the cia or nsa setting him up, etc.

Also, what about resettled planets that SG-1 evacuated to others? Let’s hear more from them.