Spoilers Sherlock Series 4 Discussion Thread

Discussion in 'TV & Media' started by The Nth Doctor, Jan 1, 2017.

1. Christopher

Christopher Writer Admiral

Would Martin Freeman be playing Watson as an elderly dunderhead?

I've actually been thinking of trying to track down the Rathbone/Bruce movies, out of curiosity. I surely saw a number of them in my youth, but it's been ages.

2. publiusr

publiusr Admiral Admiral

They have their place. Brett was always my fav.'

The wackiness of the last episode also reminded me of "Fall Out" ....the finale of THE PRISONER
    From island to England in a flash.

3. Dream

Dream Admiral Admiral

4. Allyn Gibson

Allyn Gibson Vice Admiral Admiral

I'd hope not. :)

If they did Rathbone pastiche, I could see Watson do the dunderhead thing once, sort of like this:

Holmes is investigating a crime scene. Watson says something mindboggingly stupid.

Holmes: "Watson, Lestrade isn't here. You don't have to play the part of a blithering idiot so I can explain things to him."

Watson: "Oh, right, Holmes. Force of habit, you know."

I only have the public domain ones. There was a complete box set fifteen years ago or so, but it was out of my price range at the time. The one I remember loving as a kid was Sherlock Holmes in Washington, for no other reason than it was Sherlock Holmes, in Washington! :)

5. cultcross

cultcross Postponed for the snooker Moderator

Compared to the huge profile enjoyed by Sherlock as a BBC major production starring two nationally recognised celebrities, Elementary is almost unknown in the UK, relegated to a satellite channel and with almost no publicity to speak of.

Perhaps arguably luckily for Sherlock's producers, very few in its native land would be drawing comparisons.

Hound of UIster likes this.
  6. Christopher

That's a little surprising, given that Sherlock episodes come so infrequently, so you'd think people would turn to something like Elementary to fill the gaps. Well, maybe the idea of an America-based Sherlock Holmes series doesn't appeal to the British.

7. cultcross

cultcross Postponed for the snooker Moderator

Anything that's on Sky exclusively struggles to gain widespread attention. There are exceptions, like Game of Thrones, but generally the audience for things which air on the BBC or other channels available to all are much higher.

8. captainkirk

captainkirk Commodore Commodore

For me, where Elementary beats Sherlock is with something that the original stories always did. And that's making you feel like if you just learned to be more observant you too could be as good a detective. Elementary usually takes the time to explain the deductive process whereas Sherlock treats it like a magic power that only a select few will ever be capable of.

9. Starkers

Starkers Admiral Admiral

To paraphrase Laurence Olivier in Spartacus; I like both Sherlock and Elementary :p

MFB and Allyn Gibson like this.
  10. KennyB

KennyB I have spoken............ Moderator

I have always enjoyed both, and still do. I enjoyed the season 4 finale but sweet Jesus.........It was only enjoyable if you just turned off your logic switch. Just utterly unbelievable in so many ways. And how many fucking DVD's did Mary make?

11. Saul

Saul Vice Admiral Admiral

Right? I gave up on Elementary around Season 2. I like Sherlock Holmes but this felt just like another crime series. 'Sherlock' is truer to the character of Holmes because yes, Holmes is almost superhuman in intellect and there is supposed to be a suspension of disbelief and understanding when he solves things. This goes way back to how Arthur Conan Doyle wrote the stories, he worked backwards from the solution rather than the other way around. Of course Holmes seems larger than life, that's how he was made. That's what a series like 'Sherlock' gets.

12. publiusr

publiusr Admiral Admiral

It's about the same diff' as Babylon 5 and DS9
    DS9 had great stand-alones--Bab 5 a better story arc.

Sherlock is a series of carefully crafted moments. Very hard to do--a lot like the movie Serenity--chocked full of show.
    Elementary has to be a more typical show--and has a better long game.

13. Mojochi

Mojochi Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

LMAO! Just the one, but every time we turned around, they were showing us another bit from it. I imagine there's some parts in there about feeding her cat & picking up Molly from her AA meeting lol

14. Christopher

No, there were two distinct DVDs delivered to John in two consecutive episodes. The first one had "Miss Me?" written on it and the second had "Miss You" written on it.

15. Mojochi

Mojochi Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Really? I might have missed that

16. Claudia

Claudia Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Nope, the first with "Miss Me?" was delivered to Sherlock at the end of TST (and John watched that one at Sherlock's in TLD), the second, "Miss you", to John at the end of TFP.

17. publiusr

publiusr Admiral Admiral

18. Commander Richard

Commander Richard Yo! Man! Premium Member

Just watched all three episodes back to back. It was a slow start that turned into a compelling ride with the last two episodes. Then we got that perfect ending that serves as a perfect sendoff for the series. I've always thought that Sherlock should be ongoing, something that could pop up every so often for years or decades to come but if we don't get anymore, I'm fine with that. Leaving us with the notion of their timeless, neverending adventures works too.

I wasn't bothered by Sherlock's superpower-style thought process. Looked more like he was simply good at having one epiphany after another. It was also fun to see that some of the time he was actually just messing with people or had a more mundane explanation for his findings or insights. As for sis, it was fun to see another worthy opponent of the mind just like we did at the end of series 3. A lot of great twists and revelations with her too. But that power of persuasion... Even stage hypnosis isn't that good. A better approach might have been to have her get Moriarty to eat out of her hand, something she actually accomplished in a few seconds, nevermind 5 minutes. He was the right kind of crazy and he liked her. Everyone else on the island could have been a hired goon of his, brought to the island one by one over the years to replace the real staff.

19. Christopher

And that's what's wrong with it, and with too many portrayals of genius in film and TV. It keeps getting portrayed as this magical process where characters just have the answers suddenly appear to them out of nowhere, or be sparked by some random word association that has nothing to do with it. It's rarely portrayed as what it is, a process of systematically gathering information and applying deductive reasoning to it. That's supposed to be what defines Sherlock Holmes -- that he arrives as his solutions through observation and deduction, through actually working to solve the problem, not through intuition or epiphany.

20. Brefugee

Brefugee No longer living the Irish dream. Premium Member

How utterly boring.