Spoilers She-Hulk: Attorney at Law discussion thread

Discussion in 'Science Fiction & Fantasy' started by The Nth Doctor, Aug 14, 2022.

1. Skipper

Skipper Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I think he's the only one (with Spider-Man) having a secret identity in the MCU.

2. The Nth Doctor

The Nth Doctor Infinite Possibilities... Premium Member

Well.

That was the wedding from fucking hell. I would've left that shit show the moment the bride started making Jen work her wedding because part of the staff quit due to poor treatment. But at least Titania finally got some comeuppance so that's something at least.

As for Mr. Immortal, ugh. At least that storyline allowed Mallory and Nikki to bond as Nikki demonstrated her own superpowers as a paralegal.

And another Plot Thickens not-mid-credits tag! I imagine the HulkKing is a diversion from what some fans might think and my money continues to be on The Leader who is dealing with Jen's blood (even if I think sending the underprepared Wrecking Crew was a clumsy move on his part).

No, that was Jonathan the "person" who Jen was going to walk down the aisle with.

Commander Troi likes this.
  3. ashleytinger

ashleytinger Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

OK, thank you. I watched that before coffee this morning and didn't have time to rewatch that section before work LOL

The Nth Doctor likes this.
  4. JD

JD Fleet Admiral Admiral

This stuff at the wedding was fun, but I do have to agree that the stuff Mr. Immortal wasn't as good.
    I'm curious if we're going to see more of Josh, him and Jen seemed to really hit it off.
    The Intelligencia feels like something that will end up being a lot more important than it seems.
    That last scene does seem to confirm that there's going to be a bigger bad guy than Titania showing up.
    I've checked twice now, and I'm not seeing a mid-credits scene.

5. Tuskin38

Tuskin38 Fleet Admiral Admiral

they said 'not-mid-credits tag'

The Nth Doctor likes this.
  6. JD

JD Fleet Admiral Admiral

Oh, I missed the not.

7. Nightowl1701

Nightowl1701 Commodore Commodore

In the (unlikely) event I ever get married again, I want Chet as my DJ. :devil::guffaw:

8. Xerxes82

Xerxes82 Captain Captain

Ok, so. I enjoyed the episode for what it was. It was fun, and Tatiana continues to absolutely slam the ball out of the park week after week.

But...

WHY ON EARTH would you tease DD at the end of the previous episode if he wasn't going to appear this week? Like, I appreciate them telling us this right at the beginning of the ep, with the self-contained wedding episode joke. But, really? Who thought this was a good idea? Would have been much, much better to just cut the DD tease at the end of the previous ep rather than bait and switch the way they did. Two of my coworkers are straight up dropping the show. One was probably only watching for Matt's appearance, he's hated every episode so far. But the other one just feels lied to and doesn't want to invest any more time in a show that is going to manipulate it's audience this way.

Now, that said. I really get a kick out of the way they use the title card to play with the individual episode. Just Jen coming up in the purple and green got a genuine chuckle out of me. It's such a simple gag, but it works. There's nothing here that makes it breakout television, but it has the benefit of just being fun every week.

9. ashleytinger

ashleytinger Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

I mean, it's She-Hulk. The whole comic was a big tease most of the time.

10. Reverend

Reverend Admiral Admiral

That plus teasing him at the end of the wedding episode just wouldn't make sense.

Also; what's the point of teasing something that immediately gets paid off? Drawing it out is kinda the point, no? Plus as Jen said; weddings almost never happen at a convenient time for basically anyone. That's the joke.

11. Ethros

Ethros Vice Admiral Admiral

Sounds like they need to relax and keep their wigs on. Plus there’s only two episodes left anyway.

12. Turtletrekker

Turtletrekker Admiral Admiral

Three episodes, actually.

13. Trekker4747

Trekker4747 Boldly going... Premium Member

I dunno. Fun. Still enjoying it.

14. The Wormhole

The Wormhole Fleet Admiral Admiral

I guess you and your friends don't watch The Mandalorian? Because this sort of thing is par for the course on that show.

For that matter, I can think of many shows that "manipulate the audience" in this manner. It's basically typical television of the modern era.

15. CorporalCaptain

CorporalCaptain Fleet Admiral Admiral

FFS, this is a She-Hulk show, not a Daredevil show! :guffaw:

16. Mr. Adventure

Mr. Adventure Fleet Admiral Admiral

Does being self-aware filler make it better?

Do women raise their fists at the idea of Mr. Immortal being forced to make 20 seconds of eye contact? The idea of someone ending relationships by taking a leap is funny but the payoff with that and the wedding felt like Hallmark material.

Despite being played for laughs the fight with Titania while brief was well executed. She brings it on herself but I feel more pity for her than enjoying her comeuppance. Jen may have a drinking problem but Tatiana does a good job playing tipsy bemusement.

17. Awesome Possum

Awesome Possum Moddin' Admiral

The show is a sitcom with a few story threads spread throughout it. They aren’t trying to tell a serialized story, just Jen getting into funny stories.

Ovation, Booji and The Wormhole like this.
  18. Turtletrekker

Turtletrekker Admiral Admiral

The stuff with Jen and Titania is beginning to remind me of the story "Court Costs" by Chris Claremont from the old Solo Avengers book writ large.

In the story, Jen is just trying to win a case in court and Titania keeps provoking her throughout the day basically just for the fun of it. That is, until Jen gets mad. And while she may be a calm Hulk, she's still a Hulk who gets stronger as she gets angrier. It's a short little fun story that might have made for a good episode if adapted more directly, but I kind of like the idea of turning Titania's high jinks into a season-long thing rather than just a one-off thing.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/comfor...0/the-sensational-she-hulk-in-court-costs/amp

Last edited: Sep 23, 2022
    Commander Troi and Nightowl1701 like this.
  19. Jayson1

Jayson1 Fleet Admiral Admiral

As great as the show seems lets not jump the gun. We only have seen 3 episodes. With that said if the quality sticks up I think a good way to compare this show with The Mandalorian is they are simply great in different ways but neither takes away from the other. It's like saying Firefly or Star Trek are not great shows because of Battlestar Galatica and The Expanse. Sopranos is inferior to Seinfeld because it's not as funny. Greatness has many different shades.

20. Mage

Mage Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I'm enjoying She-Hulk for what it is, a fun show with silly humor I like and some pretty solid performances. It is certainly not my favorite MCU chapter, and I doubt it's something I'll rewatch.
    But I don't dislike any specific part of it. I thought the twerkscene was a bit weird, but that was one attempt at humor that didn't work for my specific taste. Others enjoyed it, so that's great.
    It's a great 30 minutes give or take on thursday when I get home from work and enjoy dinner with something fun to watch.

LaxScrutiny likes this.