Shazam!

Discussion in 'Science Fiction & Fantasy' started by Winter Wondieland, Jul 21, 2018.

1. marillion

marillion Vice Admiral Admiral

"Hi! I'm Shazmmm mmmm mmm!" Who? "Shuzeeeem!"

Kor likes this.
  2. JD

JD Fleet Admiral Admiral

No that just applies to opinions that aren't based on facts or rational thinking.
    OK, good to know it's not just Kirk being his usual self then.

Shaka Zulu likes this.
  3. Christopher

Christopher Writer Admiral

Captain Marvel Jr. (Freddy Freeman) always had that same problem, since his magic word to transform was "Captain Marvel."

I think it was established at one point in the modern continuity that he had to say "Shazam!" with intent in order to change.

4. Happy X-Mas (War Is Over)

Happy X-Mas (War Is Over) If You Want It Premium Member

As I recall Solomon's "cut the baby in half" solution was to make the two women claiming to be the mother stop and think. In the end the baby's actual mother got the child.

Anwar and Morpheus 02 like this.
  5. Kai "the spy" (Holiday Special)

Kai "the spy" (Holiday Special) Vice Admiral Admiral

The Justice League Action cartoon played with it in an episode where Mr. Mxyzptlk switches the bodies of several heroes, putting Firestorm into CM's, or rather Shazam's, body. The title that YouTuber used for that clip says it all:

6. kirk55555

kirk55555 Vice Admiral Admiral

Wow, you try to dispute me then instantly prove you are just against people who don't share your opinion. Great job :techman: My opinion is based on what I've seen, and the source material its taken from. So, much more rational then the accusations you're throwing around when someone has an opinion you don't like.

7. JD

JD Fleet Admiral Admiral

How does the second part prove that I'm against people whose opinions differ from mine? I'm saying that I'm taking your opinion a bit more seriously now that I have seen it coming from someone who isn't you.

8. Morpheus 02

Morpheus 02 Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I wonder if the Dr. Sivana scene we glimpsed was originally intended for Black Adam...this whole other Black Adam movie seems like a bad move. Black Adam could have been the DC F.U. type of Loki...now thye are pushing him back (while the Rock ages)

[LEFT][SIZE=14px][COLOR=rgb(255, 255, 255)]
    Yeah..it was the original Corbomite Manuever...where the REAL mother would be exposed by her knowing how crazy that idea was and would sacrifice her relationship so the baby can live (while the other mother lost her own, and might be more callous to someone else also suffering the same loss)
    (Solomon wasn't really going to kill the baby)
    [/COLOR][/SIZE][/LEFT]
    Sounds like your professor had a specific agenda, and really read it wrong.

As someone else said...that's a bit of a shocker, but helps us understand kirk55555's hate. I never read that series...I am only familiar with Geoff Johns and his TV work, which I think have been the best stuff out there....but I am certainly willing to accept that he messed up majorly with the Shazam comic.

However, I do NOT share Kirk55555's expectation that the movie will follow Johns' version in that way... rather as others have said, more like Big (with some Greatest AMerican Hero).

Also, in the trailer... JERRY (from Walking Dead) is the foster dad. I am assuming he will play the same type of character, which will help Billy develop as a HERO. I don't mind Billy GROWING into the role and not be as immediately ready as Steve ROgers in the Captain AMerica movies.

My kids saw the trailer, so I expect to see it in theaters around opening day

9. Anwar

Anwar Vice Admiral Admiral

From the look of things, Orm is going to be the DCEU answer to Loki.

10. Greg Cox

Greg Cox Admiral Premium Member

To be fair, feuding siblings vying for the throne have been a staple of myth and history for ages. Hi, Osiris and Set, Romulus and Remus, King Richard and Prince John, "Much Ado about Nothing," etc. And we can probably bring in King Arthur and Morgan Le Fay as well. It's an old trope.

11. TREK_GOD_1

TREK_GOD_1 Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Well said. The MCU did not invent that by any stretch of the imagination.

12. Winter Wondieland

Winter Wondieland Vice Admiral Admiral

(source)

Not unexpected, but still slightly disappointing.
    Branding sucks. :p

13. Anwar

Anwar Vice Admiral Admiral

Here's hoping it's handled better than the "Throne of Atlantis" animated movie did it...where Orm was a total Loki clone.

14. Christopher

Christopher Writer Admiral

I still say that it would've made more sense if, when DC obtained the rights to Captain Marvel, they'd reverted him to his original, unused name of Captain Thunder to avoid confusion with Mar-Vell. It would make more sense as a name than Shazam (especially where the spinoff heroes are concerned -- Shazam Jr.? Mary Shazam?). Someone told me the last time I brought this up that there was already a character using Captain Thunder so they couldn't do that -- but there was also already a character using Captain Marvel! So I still don't get it.

OCD Geek and Grendelsbayne like this.
  15. Winter Wondieland

Winter Wondieland Vice Admiral Admiral

If I was in charge I'd keep calling him Captain Marvel.

People already wonder why Wonder Woman, Batman and Superman don't join the Avengers, so what's a little extra confusion to throw in the mix... :D

Kor, OCD Geek, Ovation and 1 other person like this.
  16. Professor Zoom

Professor Zoom Admiral Admiral

You still could, sure, but trademarking becomes a problem. You couldn’t call your movie or book Captain Marvel. Not an impossible hurdle to overcome, but, why have that hurdle in the first place?

17. Greg Cox

Greg Cox Admiral Premium Member

Not to mention being unable able to use the hero's name on any merchandise. Honestly, DC has been dealing with this trademark headache for for something like forty years now. Can't really blame them for deciding to just bite the damn bullet and call him "Shazam" already.

The purist in me objects, but the pragmatist gets it.

Last edited: Jul 24, 2018
  18. Professor Zoom

Professor Zoom Admiral Admiral

Yep. I’m in the same camp. I’m surprised they didn’t make it sooner.

Greg Cox likes this.
  19. Cult Classic

Cult Classic Fleet Admiral Admiral

He's been unofficially called Shazam by casual fans for decades, anyway.

Morpheus 02 likes this.
  20. Morpheus 02

Morpheus 02 Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Hey guys...my comment about The Rock wasn't intended to be about the brothers-in-myth thing but rather I see the Rock as being the villain-played-by-a-great/fun-actor-who -would-be-in-way-more-than-one-movie

The excitement he showed about getting the role, combined with his popularity & acting, would make him a villain/character people would WANT to watch (as opposed to say Ares at the end, a weak villain in an otherwise great movie)

The DCFU needs more of that to get people excited about the franchise