Shazam!

Discussion in 'Science Fiction & Fantasy' started by dahj, Jul 21, 2018.

1. dahj

dahj Vice Admiral Admiral

The superhero formerly known as Captain Marvel is getting his own movie, and the first trailer debuted today, so here's the pre-release thread for those looking forward to the movie (and also those looking forward to telling us about everything that's gonna be wrong about the movie every step of the way ;) )

Trailer:

P.S. This is not the movie with Sindbad ;)

2. GNDN18

GNDN18 270 Rear Admiral

It’s got that C. C. Beck vibe.

But where’s Mentor and the Winnebago?

The Old Mixer and mos6507 like this.
  3. Mr. Adventure

Mr. Adventure Fleet Admiral Admiral

I'm not crazy about that light-up chest emblem. Guess we'll see but this one isn't really "speaking to me".

4. CorporalCaptain

CorporalCaptain Fleet Admiral Admiral

I laughed. :shrug:

Will keep an eye on this.

Jedi_Master likes this.
  5. mos6507

mos6507 Commodore Commodore

Feels like Big meets Greatest American Hero. It might work.

Morpheus 02 likes this.
  6. Trekker4747

Trekker4747 Boldly going... Premium Member

This looks painful.

7. Thestral

Thestral Vice Admiral Admiral

I can't decide. On the one hand, it certainly looks like fun and hey, Zach Levi!

On the other hand, I really, really prefer the old idea of Billy as the really virtuous kid rather than the more snarky take. Or at least, that Captain Marvel (calling him Shazam is dumb) should be. The boy scout's boy scout really, like his appearances in the Justice League cartoon, or the backstory of him from Kingdom Come.

So... I just don't know.

8. Captaindemotion

Captaindemotion Admiral Admiral

This trailer looks great. I’ve been stung with DC trailers before but this looks exactly like I’d want this film to be like. Fingers crossed.

9. JD

JD Fleet Admiral Admiral

Looks like it could be fun.

10. kirk55555

kirk55555 Vice Admiral Admiral

That was awful. Its exactly like what its advertised, though: Its Geoff Johns shitty take on "Shazam", done in live action. Seeing Doctor "Hulk Hogan" Sivana would have been a bit humorous if it didn't annoy me.

Well, its not a surprising trailer. At least Wonder Woman is next year, meaning DC will have one good movie in 2019.

11. Beagleman

Beagleman Commodore Commodore

Looks fun. ...that's it... looks fun.

12. JD

JD Fleet Admiral Admiral

My only experience with Billy Batson/Shazam is a couple of animated appearances, but from what we see in the trailer this take on the character feels a lot more believable than what you guys are looking for.
    You might be able to get away with a kid whose gone through the foster care system, and come out perfect back in the '30s or '40s, but there's just no way that would feel believable today. A kid like that is going to end up with at least a bit of a chip on his shoulder.

Shaka Zulu likes this.
  13. kirk55555

HE. IS. NOT. SUPPOSED. TO BE. REALISTIC. That is the whole fucking point. Its like you're complaining about Superman being an alien who can fly, because we don't have actual Kryptonians on earth and humans can't fly so he's double "unrealistic". Plus, Billy isn't supposed to be in foster care, he's a homeless kid that is able to trick his school into not realising he's homeless. Johns added that shitty Foster Home stuff.

again, Jerry Ordway's Power of Shazam did Billy perfectly. He had his issues, and wasn't perfect, but he felt fairly real while not being a little shit. He gets his powers because of how he reacts to his life so much better then the average person, because there is something about him that is different. He's always going to be a bit unreal if done right, because the story of Captain marvel isn't a goddamn documentary.

14. JD

JD Fleet Admiral Admiral

If he's homeless that makes it more unrealistic.
    Even if a character is an alien with superpowers or a kid who turns into a adult superhero when he says a magic word, I still want them to be believable as a person.

15. kirk55555

You can be believable as a person without being a little shit. Jerry Ordway and basically every writer of captain marvel since I've been alive except Geoff Johns and post-New 52 writers have all done it well. There is no way a homeless orphan with a heart of gold is too "unrealistic". Go watch something like Runaways if you want shitty teens being little shits but with super powers. Captain Marvel was never intended to be that. Geoff johns is just a moron, and the DCEU followed that.

16. dahj

dahj Vice Admiral Admiral

I've seen the trailer twice now. I still don't get how this version of Billy is supposed to be a "little shit." :shrug:

Jedi_Master, Ovation, Anwar and 5 others like this.
  17. kirk55555

He's doing exactly what Geoff Johns version did. He's moody, shitty, and I'm pretty sure he just stole shit from that convinence store where he "stopped" the robber, or at least (based on a similar scene from the Johns comic) bought stuff there based off money he got by basically shaking down a person he'd saved.

18. Reverend

Reverend Admiral Admiral

That looked surprisingly fun!
    OK movie, who are you and what have you done with WB/DC?!

The Old Mixer and Kai "the spy" like this.
  19. JD

JD Fleet Admiral Admiral

Were any of the earlier versions a complete reboot the way Johns version was?
    If you're doing a modern reboot of a character like this, I can see where it would make sense to add a bit of darkness to the character.
    Now they might have gone a bit to far in that direction in the comics, but I don't see any evidence of the things you're complaining about in the movie. He might not be the perfect flawless character you want, but I don't really see him being a "little shit" either.

20. Kai "the spy"

Kai "the spy" Admiral Admiral

You're my kind of funny!