"Set Course For Home: In Defense Of STAR TREK: VOYAGER"

Discussion in 'Star Trek: Voyager' started by Qonundrum, May 24, 2018.

1. Lynx

Lynx Vice Admiral Admiral

I have actually watched seasons 4-6 up to one episode after which I definitely did quit. I wasn't too impressed by most of those episodes.
    I did stop watching Voyager after "The Gift" but started watching it again two years later. I spent a lot of money on renting video tapes with the season 4-6 episodes back then. I've also watched "Endgame" which was a huge dissapointment.
    Not to mention that Braga was highly involved with THAT episode, together with Berman and Fuller. That has affected my opinion of him.

2. Sophie74656

Sophie74656 Commodore Commodore

You still havent seen all of the show. You're missing out on some of what i think are the best episodes. But whatever

3. catshadowsi8

catshadowsi8 Captain Captain

So which ones from season 7 would you recommend Sophie. I have a couple I thought were great. Just wondering which ones you loved.

4. Sophie74656

pretty much all of them. Imperfection, Drive, Critical Care, Body and Sould, Flesh and Blood, Shattered, Lineage, Prophecy, The Void, Workforce, Q2, Author Author, Homestead, Renaissance Man

5. catshadowsi8

Ok. Thanks.

6. Tracy Trek

Tracy Trek Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Another one I can think of for TNG is the one where Riker gets in trouble for that ship he served on when he was the younger (the Pegasus?) that had been testing a cloaking device. He's in the brig at the end of the episode. But it's never mentioned again. It being used as a framing story for the Enterprise finale doesn't count.

7. Sophie74656

Yes good example! It's one of those things that every show does but Voyager is the only one that gets a hard time for ir

8. suarezguy

suarezguy Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

It's a fair point that Voyager was, from early on, pretty obviously meant to be pretty feel-good (and also specifically TNG-like) rather than survivalist, dealing with desperation or despair, but even with that it still felt a little too business-as-usual too often, the characters having really little inner doubts or external conflicts (and the resource abundance does decrease the believability), and too often like the episode could have been set in the Alpha Quadrant with little difference.

For an example of there being a little too little conflict, even in one of the better episodes, "Scorpion", in response to Janeway suggesting *allying with the Borg*, with all the practical and ethical problems that would seem to pose, the staff hears it and Chakotay is the only one who poses objections and IIRC only about the practical problems, and then in the second part Janeway is furious that he didn't just follow her plan even though the circumstances pretty sharply changed.

I feel and I think maybe others also do that the last year of TNG also pressed the "reset button" too often.

Last edited: Jun 18, 2018
  9. suarezguy

suarezguy Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I think, though there was some good conflict in the second episode and a few others, the trend toward excessively little conflict started with the pilot. For Chakotay, a renegade leader, to support Janeway's decision to destroy the array, stranding all of them, just and simply, literally stated, because "She's the captain" feels like way too much deference too soon, like he somehow loves Starfleet and wants to be part of a crew disregarding that he previously left it and was in illegal defiance of it and the Federation.

10. Sophie74656

In terms of reser button. In my opinion the only actaul use of it was Year of Hell

11. catshadowsi8

Actually for me this was not a surprise. His ship is destroyed and it's either tow the line or end up stranded on the planet with the Ocampa. I know what i would choose but then again I am a pragmatic person. Make the best of a bad situation and he did, for himself and his crew.

It was a strategically smart decision if he wanted to get his crew home.

Catarina and Sophie74656 like this.
  12. fireproof78

fireproof78 Fleet Admiral Admiral

Not for me. I hate dropped plot points, especially with technology and character development. Yar, Worf adopting a human kid in the Bonding, Trip's pregnancy, Troi's pregnancy, Picard's torture at the hands of Cardassians, Geordi's torture at the hand's of Data, and on and on.

I just had hopes that VOY would do better. I guess, in that way, it is very much a Star Trek show.

Lynx likes this.
  13. Sophie74656

That's kind of my point. All the series had times when they didn't follow up on a plot point. Voyager is the only series criticized for it

14. fireproof78

Well, not from me. It stands out to me at every point. I struggle more with VOY because it feels like it violates the premise. But, that might be a distinction without a difference.

And, there is a reason why the acronym YATI exists.

15. catshadowsi8

Ok, had to look that one up. Never too old to learn something new. :shrug:

16. fireproof78

The more you know.... ;)

17. catshadowsi8

Knowledge is power.