Series about the Star Fleet Academy, why not?

Discussion in 'Future of Trek' started by Larris of Metropi, Aug 1, 2007.

1. Cary L. Brown

Cary L. Brown Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

You know what I'd like to see, just to be surly? One final big "time travel" movie that ends up altering the structure of space-time in such a way that time-travel become permanently impossible forever after. :devil:

Oh, and this bit (emphasis added by me) was sufficient to conclude that the poster wasn't REALLY serious...

2. hellsgate

hellsgate Commodore

Actually I was completely serious about everything I suggested for the "S.F.A.: Genesis" concept. I won't disregard possible (minor) "ripple effects" of the Temporal Cold War.

[*] (Example: the hiccup effect Barclay had after being deprogrammed by the Cytherians when he helped the officer in Ten Forward get a check-mate despite never playing chess himself.)

[*]
    The Pah Wraith (otherwise known as the transdimensional beings from Ent?) as we never really did see the Pah Wraith in their native form except when Jadzia died at the hands of a possessed Dukat.

[*] Or, the Q continuing to monitor us in order to keep Starfleet & its allies from taking on too much too quickly.

3. Cary L. Brown

Cary L. Brown Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

So you were actually being SERIOUS when you mentioned "love and sex" as part of the Starfleet Academy MOTTO???

You need to put in "free love" and add "drugs and rock and roll" just to REALLY get that silly hippie feeling down pat. :rolleyes:

You were actually SERIOUS when you put that in? Yikes... "Next Week... Starfleet Academy's bi-weekly orgy... set your VCR!"

4. ancient

ancient Vice Admiral Admiral

I'm failing that class. :(

5. hellsgate

hellsgate Commodore

No, not orgies...silly people. Just Picard/Crusher, Janeway/Chakotay style 'shipper B-plots. Somewhat embarrassing "accidental" holodeck discoveries. Things of that nature. An ongoing, foreboding "C-plot" that helps determine who "Future Guy" from "Star Trek: Enterprise" might be...possibly one of the members of Theta Squad?

6. hellsgate

hellsgate Commodore

I just added "Love" & "Sex" as part of my pitch, not as SFA's actual motto. Just something to add to a e-book splash image. Just so you know. EEP!

7. jonnyskywatcher

jonnyskywatcher Commander Red Shirt

Well, Starfleet is always talking about exploration.

8. cardinal biggles

cardinal biggles A GODDAMN DELIGHT Moderator

^With that in mind, next week Professor Braga leads the cadets to a spelunking expedition on the Planet of the 50-Foot-Tall Women. :thumbsup:

9. Broccoli

Broccoli Vice Admiral Admiral

Which Professor Coto will be able to connect to Kirk's encounter with the Greek god Apollo.

10. hellsgate

hellsgate Commodore

Nah, nothing that bad. Maybe uncover something left behind by The Preservers & others that knew their days were numbered.

An Academy Cadet Cruise is patrolling the edge of Cardassian (Protectorate) space as a favor to the Detapa Council, to ward off Tzenkethi, Androssi, Orion & other Syndicates' raiders.

Meanwhile, they accidentally pick up an odd sensor anomoly from minerals that aren't supposed to be indigenous to that area of space or just not in the concentrations they're being detected in. They run all the usual tests & realize they've unwittingly seen something trillions of years old & go in for a closer look.

They discover a purposely buried archive of some kind on a hunk of destroyed planetoid which can only be openned by a specifically DNA-coded lock. A lock that can only be opened by getting a group of the preservers' descendants together to simultaneously touch the device to enable it to scan them & authorize entry. Easier said than done.

11. DarKush

DarKush Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

1) Your examples prove that an Academy idea might have legs. 90210 was on for 10 years, longer than any Trek program or any other American sci-fi program, with the exception of Stargate SG-1. Saved by the Bell was one for a number of years as well. And Harry Potter is a raging phenomenon. So, there can be interest in shows set at universities if done right.

Also, shows with various premises fail all the time. How many cop, lawyer, or doctor shows don't make the cut? However, they are always being pitched, and some make it and become mega-successful. Same with sci-fi shows. I don't get why this Academy idea meets such resistance. Why not try it?

Trek has had four starship-based shows and one space station-based on. What's wrong with looking at different aspects of the Trek universe? It will force the writers to approach things differently. It will also give the viewers something different....perhaps.

2) Having Trek-vets doing guest starring roles could be a draw for Trek fans who might be interested to see what happened to Riker, Janeway, or O'Brien, etc. There is the potential for vets to be professors, guest lecturers, or maybe even having the cadets serve on their vessels or at DS9. Also, there is the potential to wrap up storylines from TNG, VOY, and DS9 on a post-DW, maybe post-NEM 24th century Academy show.

3) After attending college and then working at one for three years, I can personally attest that there is interesting stuff that goes on at college. There is the human condition-in all its beauty or ugliness. The location might be static, but that doesn't mean the people have to be. And a static location doesn't equate with a static show.

4) Creating good characters can sometimes led to interesting situations, based on that character's background or their predilections. Plus, internal conflict can lead to some great drama.

12. jonnyskywatcher

jonnyskywatcher Commander Red Shirt

^ I agree with most of what you said. I think a problem with later Star Trek series is that the creators got too lazy with the premise and turned out run of the mill stories that didn't really require any creativity on their part.