Season 4 = Poor

Discussion in 'Star Trek: Discovery' started by Valandil, Mar 18, 2022.

1. firehawk12

firehawk12 Fleet Admiral Admiral

I liked it to... for the last episode when they revealed the aliens. I just don't think it needed a full season to get there.
    I mean, at least it wasn't Picard Season 2. lol

2. fireproof78

fireproof78 Fleet Admiral Admiral

So, no one cares was...a joke? ;)

Also, I don't think either needed full seasons but I have thought that about most streaming shows I fully enjoyed. So what?

3. STEPhon IT

STEPhon IT Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I think some people are pushing this non-sense because they simply don't agree with criticisms. If DISCO fans don't like critiques on the show they love, don't listen to them and definitely don't read them. If you like these Plus All Access things, then what does it matter what anyone thinks???

FederationHistorian likes this.
  4. plynch

plynch Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

“Anyone with a criticism just wants to hate DSC.”

This is the way.

But let me add a corollary. Anyone who uses the above argument just wants to love DSC.

BillJ likes this.
  5. Uhura's Song

Uhura's Song Captain Captain

It has been up and down for me. For me, I have openly stated my preference for episodic over serialized, though I do prefer serialized character arcs. The reset button is annoying.

I really liked:
    S1 first half
    S2 first half (my favorite half)
    S4 second half

I really disliked:
    S2 second half (my least favorite half)
    S3 ending

Meh:
    S1 second half
    Most of S3
    S4 1st half

TedShatner10 likes this.
  6. fireproof78

I do love Discovery.

I also love TOS.

Neither is above criticism. Both are Star Trek.

Uhura's Song likes this.
  7. plynch

plynch Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

We decide w emotion, then use reason to reinforce our decisions. The past few years retaught me that. The ant, reason, thinks it is driving the elephant, emotion and bias.

eschaton likes this.
  8. fireproof78

My bias is quite apparent.

More importantly, what the last several years taught me, is that the emotions create a sense of ownership, defensiveness, and anger at the perceived slight of something we value.

What I'm learning with Star Trek is that the value is not in reason, but emotional attachment, something more important to individuals than I could figure out via text and forum postings. Not about criticism but reaction, good feelings and personal comfort.

9. Dee1891

Dee1891 Lieutenant Commander Red Shirt

I haven't been a fan of the show since the U.S.S. Discovery went into the future.

10. JirinPanthosa

JirinPanthosa Admiral Admiral

It started out weak but ended strong.

11. JirinPanthosa

JirinPanthosa Admiral Admiral

Moreover, the thing that tied the first three seasons together even when the main storyline wasn't working is the core group of main characters. In season 4 they fragmented the main cast, putting core people in different places instead of together.

12. F. King Daniel

F. King Daniel Fleet Admiral Admiral

And got rid of Georgiou (to set up a spin-off that may never happen), wrote Tilly out of most of it (so she could be in a play, and possibly to set up the academy series which may or may not happen)

13. Turd Ferguson

Turd Ferguson Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

My girlfriend isn't a huge Trekker, but I got her to watch DS9 based on her liking Discovery seasons 1 and 2. She enjoyed DS9. She enjoyed parts of season 3. She got bored in season 4 and compared it to a soap opera and quit watching. And her biggest gripe was why everyone had to be making speeches ALL THE TIME? :lol:

Visitor1982 likes this.
  14. Dee1891

Dee1891 Lieutenant Commander Red Shirt

My family and I thought Season Four was a bore in compared to the previous ones. Then again, I wasn't that impressed with Season Three either.

My feelings for Seasons Three and Four are like my feelings for Season Seven of "Deep Space Nine", Seasons One and Seven of "Next Generation", Seasons One and Four of "Enterprise" and Season Six of "Voyager".