Season 4 = Poor

Discussion in 'Star Trek: Discovery' started by Valandil, Mar 18, 2022.

1. eschaton

eschaton Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Season 5 really needs to let the characters have distinct personalities.

Season 4 was basically written so that every character (even the ship) was identical. Sometimes they would be kinda damaged messes who needed a shoulder to cry on. Sometimes they would be the supportive ally who was there to listen to the damaged mess. No one ever had a bad day and was a shitty friend without later admitting they had to go into therapy. No one was ever to busy for someone else's bullshit.

The monotony is part of what made the season kinda boring. Character-focused drama requires that every time you throw two characters into a room, they have different dynamics. I mean consider all of the different reactions to Quark on DS9. Odo pretended to loathe him, but actually kind of enjoyed their interactions in a way he'd never admit. Kira had genuine contempt for him. Jadzia had a weird sort of affection for him. Miles and Julian just generally couldn't be bothered with his bullshit. That everyone had a different reaction is part of why every scene with Quark was fun.

SolarisOne likes this.
  2. fireproof78

fireproof78 Fleet Admiral Admiral

Well, he definitely inspired irritation in me. Maybe Discovery needs more irritating characters that make me want to change the channel.

3. Charles Phipps

Charles Phipps Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Season 4 would have been awesome if the big twist at the end had been the aliens knew about all the worlds they were destroying and didn't care.

Nyotarules and Richard S. Ta like this.
  4. eschaton

eschaton Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

That kinda goes against the core Trekkian ethos - that there are assholes, and bad governments, but not evil races.

5. Dryson

Dryson Commodore Commodore

Has Discovery branched the rebuilding of the Federation yet?

6. Charles Phipps

Charles Phipps Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

They wouldn't be evil because they're existentially evil. They'd be evil because they are people who don't care about lives outside their own. I grew up in a state devastated by opioids, environmental damage, and other things by people who didn't care about their fellow humans.

The fact this is all a mistake requires the aliens to be criminally negligent and the Federation to go, "Eh, it's okay."

7. StarMan

StarMan Vice Admiral Admiral

Come on. 10C were laughing their butts off (if they possess butts) at how gullible The Federation was to believe they didn't know. You've got an incredibly advanced species capable of deploying a multi-light year wide anomaly like it's nothing; such a species would have detected a galaxy awash in warp / transwarp / slipstream signatures and subspace comm traffic.

My theory on 10C's long term strategy: mine a millennia's worth of ore at a time; pled ignorance when caught; nine centuries later, resume mining activities once you've passed out of memory (for the most part). That way, you reduce the odds of the galaxy uniting to take you down were you to continue mining efforts once discovered.

After several millennia-long runs, start scouting for a new galaxy to park up to, as the odds are increasing each run the natives (via their histories) will twig to your con.

Feel free to nit pick the above. I gave it very little thought - on par with Discovery's writers.

8. Tuskin38

Tuskin38 Fleet Admiral Admiral

Season 4 had some of that.

:rolleyes:

Charles Phipps likes this.
  9. Anthony60

Anthony60 Lieutenant Commander Red Shirt

I've watched season 1 & 2. I dropped paramount after that, since it would be a while until season three. I just am not sure about going for it now. If I do, it would be more for SNW's than Disco. I didn't really like that it was focused on "Michael" (WTF is that name about?). The stupid spinning saucer section, the spore drive, etc... Jeez, they made some bad choices. Please, tell me they did something right after that. What a mess!

10. Tuskin38

You’ve never seen a woman with a typically masculine name before?

Either way, it’s just something Bryan Fuller does. He likes to give some of his female characters typically masculine names or nicknames.

Also why did you put her name it in quotes?
    ‘right’ and ‘wrong’ are subjective when it comes to art. So it’s basically impossible to answer that question. What you think is bad, other people will think is good and vice versa.

Just get a free trial of paramount plus and watch some of it. Or read the episode summaries on memory alpha.

Last edited: Dec 16, 2022
  11. Anthony60

That's not what I said. Plus, Spock has a human sister, all of a sudden?

I'll take your word on that.

To draw attention to the name itself.

"Right" would pertain to making a Star Trek show that a large majority of fans love, like TOS and TNG.

Not sure if they'll give me a free trial, since I had it a couple of years ago.

12. fireproof78

From the Hebrew, Gift From God. It actually is a bit more common to be a female, as well as a male name. But, as @Tuskin38 notes, it is a signature mark of Fuller, the showrunner at the time.

"We've worked on many shows with Bryan and it's a motif. It's his signature move to name his lead women with names that would typically be associated as male," executive producer Aaron Harberts said at the Television Critics Association summer press tour last month.

No, thanks. Just make a good show. I'll take Discovery over TNG. Feels more like TOS.

13. Tuskin38

And in ST5 he suddenly had a Brother. Shit happens.
    Again that's subjective. I don't think a majority love TOS. What evidence is there that the majority love TOS and TNG?

If you base it off streaming figures from Netflix, Voyager is the most popular series.

Last edited: Dec 16, 2022
    fireproof78 likes this.
  14. fireproof78

Definitely not in my experience. TNG tops most lists, and the only thing TOS has is visual staying power. People know of TOS, i.e. "Beam me up, Scotty," Mr. Spock, and Captain Kirk of the Starship Enterprise.

Tuskin38 likes this.
  15. plynch

plynch Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

TNG tops what lists?

In the general public mind there is TOS for the reasons you cited. Note inclusion in Smithsonian. Just about nothing else of Trek is in the general public, nonfandom hive mind. I'm about to go play Christmas jazz in afew minutes for a fairly educated audience. If I make a Trek reference there, which series am I going to reference?

16. fireproof78

Make it so. Captain Picard tops a list of captains, IMDB has a TNG episode as it's top rated episode. I think that might be more Patrick Stewart, but even if I include the hive mind, I see more TNG in terms of familiarity, vs. TOS which is pop culture recognition.

But, as with many things, this could be self-confirming bias.

17. Anthony60

Yes, that was dumb. If Spock had a brother, I never would have pictured him like that. Then again, he had a sister that was not what I'd have pictured either.

Evidence? We are on this board 50+ years later.

They did an okay job with Voyager.

18. Tuskin38

How is that evidence? This isn't the TOS or TNG section.

19. Anthony60

The only thing I didn't like about TNG was the Enterprise. I remember when I first saw it. Just looked weird.

20. fireproof78

Still does.

Anthony60 likes this.