Rate the Moffat era so far...

Discussion in 'Doctor Who' started by Ghost Bones, May 26, 2012.

?

Out of five, what rating would you give to the Moffat era of NuWho?

1. *****

22.8%
  2. ****

45.6%
  3. ***

20.3%
  4. **

8.9%
  5. *

2.5%
  1. Ghost Bones

Ghost Bones Captain Captain

Aiight yo? Fack all to talk about when it's not on, innit.

Let's 'av a poll, likkkkkkkke.

2. Starkers

Starkers Admiral Admiral

Variable, but just edges 4 stars for me, pound for pound I think it's about as good as it was under RTD, certainly the proportion of episodes I like as opposed to those I don't is roughtly the same.

3. Relayer1

Relayer1 Vice Admiral Admiral

The overall quality is much improved from the Russell T Davies era - he did a great job bringing the show back, but wrote all of the worst episodes !

Much as I liked Tenant, Smith has nailed it, and Karen Gillan is easily the most gorgeous assistant so far.

4. Cutter John

Cutter John Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

4 Stars (closer to 3.5, but I'm feeling charitable). Its had its mis-steps, and I could have done with a lot less Amy and River, but there've only been two stories I've outright hated. Which makes it right about on par with RTD's era.

Here's hoping the next companion is an improvement.

Last edited: May 27, 2012
  5. Haggis and tatties

Haggis and tatties Vice Admiral Admiral

5 stars.....it's the only sci-fi we have on the Tv here in the UK.:weep:

Thank god for box sets.;)

6. captcalhoun

captcalhoun Admiral Admiral

Five Stars. it's Doctor Who and it's not wobbly sets, ropey chroma-key and bad acting any more!

YAY!

7. sidious618

sidious618 Admiral Admiral

I'd give it a four and a half so I bumped it up to a five. Moffat has really impressed me and I like it much more than RTD's run, particularly his final two seasons which were iffy.

8. Ghost Bones

Yeah, the RTD era was dire when you put it like that...

9. Winterwind

Winterwind Commodore Commodore

Three stars from me. Perhaps my expectations for Moffat taking over were too high but I simply haven't enjoyed the show as much as I used to. I haven't re-watched any of S5 or S6 and I've yet to see the most recent Christmas episode. I'm tired of Amy. Tired of River Song and looking forward to their absence.

10. Skywalker

Skywalker Admiral Admiral

I'll give it four stars at this point. Matt Smith, Karen Gillan and Arthur Darvill have been stellar (especially Smith), but the overuse of River Song in the second season kind of dragged the whole season down.

11. Takeru

Takeru Space Police Commodore

Three stars, I really like Matt Smith and Arthur Darvill is very good but I never liked Amy and I'm sick of River Song, her story really doesn't work, she was great in series four but everytime she reappeared she became more annoying.

I like some of the episodes, I don't like others, that hasn't changed since the RTD era, what I really don't enjoy in the Moffat era are the season long story arcs, the arc in season 5 was a little bit boring but the Doctor's death arc in season six was almost offensively stupid and pointless.

The show has potential but so far Moffat really hasn't delivered anything special, I still rewatch episodes from the RTD era, I didn't even bother getting the Moffat era on DVD, it's enjoyable enough to watch when it airs but that's it. Something's missing, even from the episodes I like, I'm not exactly sure what it is but Moffats episodes had it, even the not so great ones.

12. Wereghost

Wereghost Part-time poltergeist Rear Admiral

Four stars. Season five was a lot of fun and had its wonderful and inspired moments. Season six, despite a few truly classic episodes and an immensely entertaining startseemed to fumble the ball a bit and gave the impression that Moffatt can't do long arcs that well. Still, season seven can't come soon enough as far as I'm concerned.

13. C.E. Evans

C.E. Evans Admiral Admiral

I'd give it four stars (although I'd give Smith five stars). My only real quibble is that the last series sometimes felt like "The Ponds featuring Doctor Who."

14. Anachronus

Anachronus Commodore Commodore

3 Stars. I like the cast but the stories have not lived up to their potential. (Sort of like Voyager). I do think River Song has been overused as well. Moffat was great with his stand alones under RTD but his hand at running a series is not so sure.

15. Newspaper Taxi

Newspaper Taxi Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

I'm voting for four stars. Matt Smitth and Moffat's first season together is my all time favorite series/season of Doctor Who. I thought the Time Crack story arc was perfect -- more involved then words scribbled on walls, but not Season 6's River stuff. Unfortunately, I'd give season 6 a 3/5 star rating. It was just too ambitious for it's own good.

16. Allyn Gibson

Allyn Gibson Vice Admiral Admiral

It was a difficult decision, and I ultimately went with three stars.

I love the actors, especially Smith and Darvill. (The great tragedy of Darvill as a companion is that I'm really curious how he would play the Doctor.) I have generally liked the episodes of Moffat's era individually.

But Moffat's era, in totality, is less than the sum of its parts. The overall execution falls short.

And that's why I went with three stars.

17. zarkon

zarkon Captain Captain

Went for three. Moffat lacks the oomph that RTD used to put into his big episodes, and I often end up disappointed by them(like Pandorica/Big Bang). I thought he'd cracked that problem with the superb Day of the Moon, but the rest of the season wasn't so great.

18. Butters

Butters Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I'm reserving judgment until the next show runner takes over. I'm liking a lot of Moffat's ideas but the execution is lacking. While I am a faithful follower and trust that Moffat will pull of the greatest Dr Who era ever, I was never happy to catch the BBC 3 repeat during RTDs run, only the BBC 1 premier would do. Now, not so much.

19. Starkers

Starkers Admiral Admiral

^That's a good point, at the moment the Moffat era isn't over, so its hard to judge it. To be honest asked the same question after 2 series of RTD I'd have probably struggled to go as high, because for me S2 is still nu Who's weakest.

20. Ghost Bones

Yeah, that's why it's got the "so far" bit in the title.