Rate the Moffat era so far...

Discussion in 'Doctor Who' started by Ghost Bones, May 26, 2012.

?

Out of five, what rating would you give to the Moffat era of NuWho?

1. *****

22.8%
  2. ****

45.6%
  3. ***

20.3%
  4. **

8.9%
  5. *

2.5%
  1. Cutter John

Cutter John Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

All those episodes with River, yet her story still seemed rushed. I had a really hard time buying how she went from being trained all her life to kill the Doctor, to falling in love with him in the space of 45 minutes. Then once is all said and done, shes not really that likeable as a person. I still have yet to figure out what the Doc sees in her.

2. TemporalFlux

TemporalFlux Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

4 stars from me. What held me back is the last few episodes of season six; I especially thought the season six finale a let down because I believe it tread too close to the ideas of the season five finale. It really felt to me like Moffat had kind of run out ideas and just threw something together.

That said, I really liked the Christmas movie; so hopefully season seven will follow along from that.

3. CommodoreKong

CommodoreKong Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I think I would give it a 4/5 so far. There have been a few episodes I haven't liked very much, like the last Christmas episode, the Hungry Earth/Cold Blood, Rebel Flesh/Almost People and Night Terrors, but I've enjoyed most of them a lot.

I've really loved the Eleventh Hour and all the two parters that Moffat wrote. Episodes like Vincent and the Doctor and the Doctor's Wife have were really great. I also really like The Lodger/Closing Time, I wish we would of seen an episode like those with Tennant too.

I really like Matt Smith as the Doctor. He's a lot of fun. I like both of the Ponds as well.

One other thing that I don't like is Moffat seeming to want to distance himself from the RTD era. I would of loved to see one of Tennant's companions come back for an episode or two. I felt not having Captain Jack in A Good Man Goes to War was a disappointment, he would of made a great part of the Doctor's army and more then willing to help out the Doctor.

Overall I'll give this era a 4/5 so far.

4. NCC-1701-B

NCC-1701-B Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

I gave it 2 stars, mainly because he absolutely destroyed the daleks and made them look like little tikes ride on toys, and because I couldn't stand amy pond, and I am so glad she is going. She was horribly annoying, and spent most of the time trying to take over the show...

But maybe I'm biased xD Genesis of the Daleks will always be ultimate who for me.

5. Ubik

Ubik Commodore Commodore

Somewhere around 2 stars. I have rarely been this bored or turned off by Doctor Who - I haven't had this much lack of interest in the show since a Colin baker, or a Jon Pertwee, episode (except season 7, of course.)

I just can't stand the smugness, the cartoonishness, the wackiness. The tone is a big turn-off. I feel nothing, nothing, for these characters, or what happens to them. In an average episode of David Tennant, I may find myself tearing up by the end of the episode, actually crying a little bit. Now, my only emotion is boredom.

This is not Matt Smith's fault. He is a fine actor. I just hate the writing. I hate the direction. I hate the vision of the show. During Davies' years, it had heart. It had realism. Now, it's like a Scooby Doo cartoon, all wacky-craziness and fun-house mirrors and plot twists and nonsense. It's a kid's show now in a way that it never has been before, a real honest-to-God kid's show. And the whole thing has just fallen so flat for me.

6. Starkers

Starkers Admiral Admiral

You know I can accept a lot of the critisisms of the Moffat era, even if I don't neccesaily agree, the emotion is more subtle and less in your face, and yeah maybe it does lack the exuberance of Russell's version sometimes (though as I say, like candy floss it gets a bit much) but to suggest RTD's verion of Who wasn't like scooby doo and wasn't full of wacky craziness...I mean for Christ's sake RTD literally had Rose and the Doctor running in and out of doors being chased by an alien in Love and Monsters, which is probably about as Scooby Doo as Who's ever been... :cardie:

Farting aliens, cute little creatures made of human fat, the Titanic almost crashing into Buckingham Palace, Rose and Doctor in body swapping 'hilarity'...Moffat's Who is no more wacky than RTDs.

7. Ubik

Ubik Commodore Commodore

Ah, but it's a different KIND of wacky, and in a different context. The episodes from RTD's era that you just mentioned are the BAD ones, the throwaways, the ones where Davies and the show KNEW they were being silly. And yes, they are obviously the weaker entries during those years. When it was time to get down to business, though, the show became very serious indeed.

In Moffatt's era, the Scooby Doo wacky-craziness that can't be taken seriously is in the SERIOUS episodes predominantly, the ones that are supposed to anchor the show. And it's a smug craziness, a self-important wackiness. Davies's silly episodes were well aware they were being silly. Moffat's era seems to think its silly episodes are heavy drama. But heavy drama is something Moffatt hasn't managed well since he was writing classic episodes under Davies.

8. Starkers

Starkers Admiral Admiral

Well I think we're going to have to agree to disagree what constitutes 'good silly' and 'bad silly' but I do think even in the supposed important episodes of RTD's era there was nonsense a plenty, take Last of the Timelords or Doomsday as examples.

Being completely honest I will admit that Moffat's era hasn't been as good as I was expecting, but credit to the guy he still hasn't annoyed me as much, or as regularly as RTD did.

9. Ubik

Ubik Commodore Commodore

Fair enough, There's no accounting for sheer boredom and disinterest. Davies' seasons had me absolutely hooked, craving the next episode. During Moffatt's years, I've almost forgotten the show was on. Sigh.

10. Ghost Bones

Ghost Bones Captain Captain

Both eras suffer from the self-referential, post-modern failure to take itself seriously, stemming from a fanboy embarrassment about the show on the part of the producer.

11. Starkers

Starkers Admiral Admiral

Maybe, but it clearly works, and I'm not sure the show always took itself quite so seriously in the past...

12. Cutter John

Cutter John Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Whatever. Its still my favorite thing on tv.

13. Starkers

Starkers Admiral Admiral

Thios forum really needs a like option :techman:

14. captcalhoun

captcalhoun Admiral Admiral

15. The Borgified Corpse

The Borgified Corpse Admiral Admiral

Ouch! Forgotten already? You were just down ther
    Yeah. I also don't like the implication in the "Last Night" short that the very last time the Doctor saw her was as the 11th Doctor. I had been hoping that she would be a recurring companion for all the Doctors, like the Brigadier.

IIRC, Jack was going to be in it but they couldn't work out the schedule.

16. Ghost Bones

Ghost Bones Captain Captain

Depends what you mean by works. An awful lot of the stories are complete bollocks.

17. The Borgified Corpse

The Borgified Corpse Admiral Admiral

Ouch! Forgotten already? You were just down ther
    Personally, I'm glad that we've gotten away from the overwrought emotionalism of the RTD era, particularly regarding Rose. While I'm not opposed to the odd slice of sentimentality, Seasons 1-4 could often get a bit maudlin.

I suppose, for me, I'm willing to cry for a character, but only after I've laughed with them. I often felt like RTD was trying to ram the sentimental value of characters like Rose & Martha down my throat, trying to force me to care about them regardless of how disinterested I was. Moffat, on the other hand, seemed content to just do fun episodes about Amy & Rory and let me grow attached to them on my own. To his credit, RTD also did that a lot better with Donna in Season 4.

I also felt like RTD often made the Doctor a bit too powerful, almost god-like. I'm glad that Matt Smith seems to have brought him back down to the level of super-intelligent space-hobo, which is where he always belonged.

18. Starkers

Starkers Admiral Admiral

Yeah I like that, for the most part, Moffat's era doesn't constantly tell me how I should be feeling, and at times it's just as emotional, if not more so. Smith's little goodbye speech to Amy when he's sat in the Pandorica, or later (er, earlier?) by Amelia's bedside being good examples, plus there's Vincent and the Doctor which is incredibly moving, plus The Girl Who Waited, The Doctor's Wife etc.

19. Starkers

Starkers Admiral Admiral

It's popular, an awful lot of people like it, it wins awards, has ressurected a franchise that'd been (mostly) televisually dead for 15 years, and is even breaking into the US market.

I know its trite to say but if you really don't like it you really should stop watching it, because at the moment you're just adding to the viewing numbers. It is hard to walk away from a franchise (I know from experience cos I kept watching Enterprise, although I think if S3 hadn't quickly shown improvement I may have walked away) but sometimes you have to do it, I quit Who when Colin came along.

to be honest I don't have the time to watch something just to complain about it anymore (though have been there, done that!)

20. captcalhoun

captcalhoun Admiral Admiral

too right, mate. i'll never understand the mentality of someone who professes to hate a show and then still sits and watches it every week.

and don't give me that 'oh, but i'm a fan, i have to watch it' nonsense, i'm a Star Trek fan (clearly) but i will not be going to see the next movie because i think the last one was utter crap and i'm not wasting my money or 2 hours + of my life watching it. likewise 007, i watched all of the Bond movies over the years and saw the last 3 Brosnan ones at the cinema, saw who they cast, saw the direction they were taking and didn't like it and didn't bother with the last two and certainly won't with the next.

cuz, honestly, at this point it looks like you're just trolling.