Production Quality Of Picard

Discussion in 'Star Trek: Picard' started by Pubert, May 2, 2020.

1. Pubert

Pubert Vice Admiral Admiral

actually the Orville gets quite close. The comedy is what differentiates it. I just prefer trek with stand alone episodes with a arc or more running within the series. DS9 did it best. This 10 episode one story line is way to long and full of fluff. It took 10 hours to see the conclusion of data dying again. They really could have compressed the story From anywhere to 4 to 5 eps. There’s a reason movies tend to be heavily edited. 10 hour style movies just don’t work. That’s my opinion of course.

jackoverfull likes this.
  2. fireproof78

fireproof78 Fleet Admiral Admiral

The Orville is completely forgettable, with rare moments. There is little that hooks me in to coming back. At least TNG stood out even if I hated the characters more often than not.

And, I'm the opposite. My favorite film growing up was "Ten Commandments" which was a 4 hour epic. Give me longer films, and longer serialized arcs. If I want episodic format I'll go watch something with my kids, or TOS.

Lord Garth likes this.
  3. The Old Mixer

The Old Mixer Mih ssim, mih ssim, nam, daed si Xim. Moderator

Norman, coordinate.

4. Pubert

The Ten Commandments was only 3 and 40 minutes long. Much shorter than Picard and its story was much tighter. Honestly the only part of Picard I world give thumbs up to are the scenes at the chateau. That was more interesting then anything we saw later.

5. fireproof78

Fair enough. I knew I should have looked up the running time (also, watching on VHS recording as kid didn't help). But, my point is that longer is better for me, and that story wasn't as tight as people think. It meanders a bit (appropriately so). Mileage will vary and clearly does as for story preferences.

Where things like TNG and the Orville shine is in the episodic, but it feels like nothing matters. That's what I want-I want stuff to matter. At the end of TNG I might as well say "Computer, end program." That's all the significance it holds.

6. Pubert

It mattered. Picard went through a lot with the both and it had reverberations through out the rest of TNG and the movies. Also it would seem he’s still not over it in Picard and has actually regressed. But yeah lots of self contained episodes and people we never hear of from again but real life is like that to in our jobs. We tend to forget a lot of our adventures.

7. fireproof78

It mattered...to you. Not to me until Picard.

8. Pubert

Ok. since Picard is gone and we have a android now it doesn’t matter much to me anymore,

9. The Old Mixer

10. fireproof78

It's not like TNG went somewhere.

11. The Old Mixer

They paved TNG and put up a parking lot.

Grendelsbayne and fireproof78 like this.
  12. Lord Garth

Lord Garth Admiral Admiral

Picard is giving TNG the Kid Glove Treatment.

The TOS Movies completely changed the look established in TOS. ENT added the look and tone of Berman Trek before TOS, boxing TOS in. It was surrounded by Berman Trek from both sides. Then the Kelvin Films changed things further, and so did Discovery while saying it's Prime Timeline, and Strange New Worlds will add some things too.

Compared to TOS, TNG is getting off light.

fireproof78 likes this.
  13. Pubert

I’m interested to see what look Strange New Worlds is going to look like. Will we get closer to the TOS look and feel? I hope so. Pike was one of the few bright spots in discovery. He is the type of Starfleet officer that the original series touted with Kirk. We can only hope they don’t mess it up.

14. NCC-73515

NCC-73515 Vice Admiral Admiral

VOY got pretty close

Alwaystrekkin likes this.
  15. AlanC9

AlanC9 Commodore Commodore

And yet, you're going to watch S2 and be right here complaining about it.

Sci likes this.
  16. EnderAKH

EnderAKH Commodore Premium Member

It just squandered its premise in the process.

Sci and fireproof78 like this.
  17. Mytran

Mytran Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Eh, Picard's been dead since he beamed out "energy only" in Lonely Among Us or even perhaps since the first time he used the transporter, depending on how you subscribe to how it works.
    Compared to that, transferring his brainwaves from physical being to another is nothing.

Sci and fireproof78 like this.
  18. fireproof78

And completely defeated the purposes of its set up. The framing device was completely wasted and succeeded in showing how thin TNG could be in terms of things mattering. There were high points but it lacked that gravitas that TNG could have.

eschaton likes this.
  19. Dukhat

Dukhat Admiral Admiral

Exactly. The only reason why VOY was "pretty close" to TNG was because UPN didn't want the show to be anything more than episodic, which was completely the opposite of the original premise of the show. Almost every episode of VOY could have been done as a TNG episode without any difference whatsoever.

fireproof78 likes this.
  20. The Old Mixer

And some of them were.