Production Order Group Viewing 2018

Discussion in 'Star Trek - The Original & Animated Series' started by Archivist13, May 8, 2018.

1. Mytran

Mytran Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Having thought about it, I'm resubmitting my review of this episode:

THE COUNTER-CLOCK INCIDENT
    :devil:

Poltargyst likes this.
  2. Poltargyst

Poltargyst Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

I do like your explanation that this is really an aging Robert April's telling of the story after he's starting to become a bit incoherent.

But given that McCoy was 137 in Encounter at Farpoint, is 75 really considered old?

3. Mytran

Old enough to be considered appropriate for mandatory retirement, apparently! :biggrin:
    But in the context of Star Trek (and even our present day) 75 seems a little early to forcibly move experienced officers out to pasture, regardless of their physical fitness.

FWIW, my real-life job involves installing equipment and adaptations for the elderly: In the last few years the number of people in their 70s and even 80s who are able bodied and only just starting to think that maybe a hand rail by the front steps might be something that would be useful has risen considerably. With all the medical advances in the 23rd century this age should be even higher.

However, this episode was written in the early seventies and in those days a 75 year old (after a lifetime of less healthy living) was OLD - both Sarah and Robert April are depicted as such.

4. Poltargyst

We spent 95 pages discussing TOS and 15 discussing TAS. Part of that is the lower number of TAS episodes, but something tells me people weren't as interested in TAS as TOS.

5. Mytran

Disappointing, but hardly surprising. There's some good story content in TAS but if some modern Trekkies are turned off by the live action 1960s aesthetic, I can imagine that the limited 1970s animation style is even more off-putting

Stats on the level of interest:
    TOS - 1.20 pages per episode
    TAS - 0.68 pages per episode

Just over half the interest? Could be worse

Poltargyst likes this.
  6. Henoch

Henoch Rear Admiral Premium Member

Thanks @Poltargyst and @Mytran for your great (and funny) reviews/comments on all things TOS and TAS! :beer:

Poltargyst likes this.
  7. Mytran

It was...fun! :ouch:

Don't discount your own contributions either @Henoch as your viewpoints kept this thread going too!
    Just cut back on the evil plans, OK? ;)

Henoch likes this.
  8. Poltargyst

I agree. Henoch is a fun poster to read.

Henoch likes this.
  9. Maurice

Maurice Fact Trekker Premium Member

A lot of fans didn't embrace Star Trek Animated even when it was on NBC. That and it never having been widely syndicated ensures that discussions about it are going to garner less interest.