Power Rangers

Discussion in 'Science Fiction & Fantasy' started by SG-17, Aug 7, 2010.

1. Samurai8472

Samurai8472 Vice Admiral Admiral

Once time was restored at the end of the Alien Ranger saga and the rangers returned as Zeo Rangers Ninjor went back into his bottle at the temple of power

I would recommend watching Go-busters and taking a peek at Toqger.

https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLnrkgR-NzbW5a4hVELlT3KOsyCDd6c7ZK

Toqger is a bit childish but that's because the five ranger's are kids and were snatched from their hometown before the villains plunged their hometown into darkness.(Link at the top)

Also Zyouhger since that's probably going to be skipped

http://kissasian.ch/Drama/Doubutsu-Sentai-Zyuohger

2. Christopher

Christopher Writer Admiral

Ninjor was rather the opposite of his Sentai counterpart, Ninjaman. Ninjor was a wise mentor who talked like Dudley Doright, but Ninjaman was a hotheaded apprentice of the Three God Generals (i.e. the Megazords) who Hulked out into his alternate form Samuraiman whenever an opponent hit his berserk button of calling him a novice, which for some reason they invariably did every time. And it was never explained what exactly Ninjaman was, and whether there was a person under the helmet and armor, or what. It was totally bizarre and silly and one of the less successful elements of Kakuranger.

3. kirk55555

kirk55555 Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

The thing that really sucks in regards to Ninjor is that his Sentai equivalent came back for Gokaiger, but didn't show up in Super Megaforce. Now, Megaforce/Super Megaforce sucked, but having the ninja Dudley Doorite show up would have been cool.

The Borgified Corpse likes this.
  4. Hound of UIster

Hound of UIster Vice Admiral Admiral

The new show also has the same creative team as the Toqger and Zyuohger shows so it's very likely it's going to be skipped.

5. Takeru

Takeru Space Police Premium Member

Out of those 7:

Carranger - very funny, a comedic sentai that plays with the franchises tropes
    Megaranger - a high school/technology sentai
    Dairanger - chinese martial arts

are the top 3 imo, in that order.

Other recommended sentai:
    Maskman (martial arts themed), Jetman (birds/planes with lots of dramatic elements in the story, a favorite in the franchise), GoGo V (rescue and family themed), Timeranger (time travel/police), Abaranger (Dinos), Magiranger (magic and family), Gekiranger (another martial arts themed one with a more serialized story, my personal all time favourite sentai), Shinkenger (Samurai), Gokaiger (pirates, previous power showcase), ToQger (Trains and Imagination)

I'm only picking three each:
    Carranger over Turbo
    Magiranger over Mystic Force
    Gekiranger over Jungle Fury

MMPR over Zyuranger
    Zeo over Ohranger
    Ninja Storm over Hurricanger

And of course everything Saban has produced starting with Samurai is crap with the exception of Dino Charge.

The creative teams are completely irrelevant, it depends on sentai 2019 wether this one gets skipped or adapted, Saban and Bandai will pick the one with the more appealing theme and toy sale potential.

6. Samurai8472

Lupinranger VS Patoranger coverage in Uchusen 159.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

7. Cyke101

Cyke101 Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Team Lupinranger for me, thanks.

Though I'm wondering how the stunt actors can even see out of those helmets. Yeah, Sentai helmets are hard to see through anyway with their black visors, but even the Timeranger helmets had tinted semi-transparent mesh visors. On the contrary, he Lupinrangers' visor looks to be the same material as the helmet itself (and thus opaque).

8. Christopher

I might be imagining it, but if I look really closely at the top picture of the Red Lupinranger, I think I can maybe just barely make out a strip within the visor that's a slightly dimmer shade of red than the rest, suggesting that it's thin and translucent, but just washed out because it's brightly lit from outside.

9. Takeru

Takeru Space Police Premium Member

They can't, the visors on those helmets are solid colors but they're only used for close ups and beauty shots just like they were on Timeranger (the mesh was never used for close ups on Timeranger I think, that was only done on Time Force but I could be wrong about that). The suit actors probably have some peripheral vision through the black parts.
    The actual stunt helmets are different, there are several variants, for wide shots they use really simple ones with holes drilled into them for example even for seasons with black visors, they're not using the good helmets when they don't have too.

Cyke101 likes this.
  10. Christopher

Ah, I wondered if that might be the case. But then I convinced myself I could maybe see a more translucent area.

So if they're actually opaque in real life, that leaves the question, how are the Rangers supposed to see through them in-universe? These don't seem like magic-based teams this year, so maybe there's some kind of video screen inside, or an Iron Man-style HUD? Or is it just supposed to be the equivalent of mirrored sunglasses, something that's transparent from only one direction? Then again, in a number of seasons, the armor seems to be treated as some sort of energy construct, as if it's made of force fields emulating solid matter, since it vanishes when the power is drained or it takes enough damage. (For instance, in Ohranger, the transformation device would emit essentially a net of light beams that would wrap around the Ranger to form a grid that would then "fill in" with the substance of the costume and helmet. I found that a very interesting effect.)

11. Samurai8472

There has been speculation as to why these two sentai's are working together and share similar technology( The VS changer and dial fighters)

Story wise I think Aka Red( the physical embodiment of super sentai) is pulling the strings. Lupin Red bares some minor visual queues to Aka Red

Aka Red made his first appearance in 2006 with Boukenger VS Super Sentai. If anyone is interested in watching it it's on youtube.

12. King Daniel Beyond

King Daniel Beyond Admiral Admiral

Saw the movie last night on Netflix, and it was far more entertaining than it had any right to be. Better than all the Transformers movies.

If it hadn't been so late to the game, where we've seen it all in Transformers, Pacific Rim and dozens of superhero movies, it would have been huge.

13. Mark_Nguyen

Mark_Nguyen Commodore Commodore

"Better than all the Transformers movies". Not THAT high a bar to clear, but still praise-worthy. :P

Also, I've just realized that both Pato and Lupin teams share the same guns, belts, wristguards AND boots. The general cut of their "jackets" on the actual suit is the same as well. More's common to these teams than meets the eye.

Mark

14. Christopher

I thought I read that the Lupins stole the tech from the Patos. And the plot summary says they're both vying with a faction of monsters that wants the Lupin collection -- the Lupins want to steal it back for themselves, while the Patos want to recover the stolen property. So they often unite against a common enemy. It's sort of like Boukenger/Operation Overdrive in having multiple rival factions competing for treasure, except this time there's more than one hero faction instead of multiple villain factions.

15. Samurai8472

First Lupinranger VS Patoranger promo aired 1/2 hour ago

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Jan 7, 2018
  16. Danlav05

Danlav05 Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

I gerw up in the age of MMPR-In Space [Zordon Era] and slightly after, and kind of fell out after then, watching Forever Red and Once A Ranger I came back to Power Rangers only recently around the 20th Anniversary, not a regular viewer of the Saban seasons, but I'm reading the comics and they are so good! I look forward to Shattered Grid and I will eb watching the anniversary episode(s)

I liked Time Force a lot, that stands out for me as well as Dino Thunder, like an up to date MMPR. I tried wathcing RPM but couldn't get into it, SPD looks alright too but I havent seen it properly yet

As for Super Sentai Ive checked on bits and pieces -

I've seen a bit of ZyuRanger and how different it is its astonishing!
    The first episode of Timeranger is very much like Time Force, I sought it out.
    Gokaiger looked far better than Super Megaforce, and to think Ninjor could have come back!
    Go-Busters looks good, I liked the suits and a pity it was never officially adapted, and if they do make KyuRanger (more like than not, Bandai America had a hand in development) then I will try and tune in. From the Sentai it looks good, and is you may guess I love space opera!
    I like the look of Lupinranger VS Patranger but if pattern persists then PR will skip it :(

17. Awesome Possum

Awesome Possum Keeping TNZ Shiny! Moderator

Yeah, it was alright. It was basically Chronicle with a big budget Power Rangers episode as the last act, but it kept me interested. It could have used Bulk and Skull in parts though. But most of my knowledge of Power Rangers comes from the MMPR to In Space run, I grew out of it around then and lost interest. I have seen Linkara’s History of the Power Rangers series though, so I at least have a general idea of what came afterward.

18. Samurai8472

Cast revealed! The two reds look quite different from what we’re used to
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Lol they actually got a Black actor to play the patorangers police chief. Stereotypical? Yes. Could be very awesome though

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Press conference video

Last edited: Jan 12, 2018
  19. Christopher

That's cool. They've never really been much for ethnically diverse casting in Super Sentai. Even when they have Chinese or American characters, they're still played by Japanese or Japanese-American actors. Granted, Japan as a whole has very little ethnic diversity in its population, but it's still nice to see a bit of inclusion from time to time. Then again, I gather that Japan still has a lot of stereotyped assumptions about black people due to having so little interaction with them, so I hope this show avoids that.

20. Samurai8472

Press conference trailer

Character profiles

http://news.tokunation.com/2018/01/...haracter-info-press-conference-released-48795

May 20 likes this.