Power Rangers

Discussion in 'Science Fiction & Fantasy' started by SG-17, Aug 7, 2010.

1. Samurai8472

Samurai8472 Admiral Admiral

Here is the scene

BTW Zyuranger is on Shout factory's website. Curious to hear your opinions on it!

http://www.shoutfactorytv.com/super-sentai-zyuranger/the-birth/568d438a69702d0803664300

If anyone is curious about Megaranger it's also on Shout Factory's website

http://www.shoutfactorytv.com/super...the-twisted-invaders/5a3c04b5dead52156000015d

2. The Borgified Corpse

The Borgified Corpse Admiral Admiral

Ouch! Forgotten already? You were just down ther
    Yeah, I've read that before. It still doesn't explain what actually happened behind the scenes and why they didn't give Zedd & Rita any follow-up on Turbo. There's in-universe speculation that's tied into "Scorpion Rain" but that's not really canon and I'm more interested in the real world reasons for the change, since any fictional explanation at this stage is bound to be arbitrary anyway.

Meanwhile, I do have my own theory about what happened in-universe with Lt. Stone. I figure, since he was pretty summarily fired during the events of "Bulk Fiction" due to one of Bulk & Skull's antics that wasn't really his fault, he promptly sued the police department for wrongful termination. His lawsuit was pending behind the scenes during most of the 2nd half of Zeo. Eventually, as part of a settlement, he was temporarily reinstated and later made an out of court settlement for a large cash sum in exchange for resigning quietly. He used the money to buy the Juice Bar.

3. JD

JD Fleet Admiral Admiral

4. Unicron

Unicron Boss Monster Mod Moderator

I admit, I always enjoy the older zord sequences. While I haven't watched the modern movie or pretty much anything past Zeo, I have watched clips of some of the more modern zord sequences on YT. And I admit that the cartoony CGI doesn't really work for me, even though I do own a few modern megazords whose overall designs I like. I prefer the vintage, more realistic (relatively speaking) combinations from the earlier seasons. :D

5. Christopher

Christopher Writer Admiral

If the story involves some kind of time-travel or alternate-realities premise, I can see how some of those fit in. Time Force is all about time travel, RPM was retroactively established as taking place in a parallel reality, and Dino Super Charge basically created their own alternate timeline at the end there. I don't see how Dino Thunder and Ninja Steel fit in, though.

Yeah, it was more fun with miniatures. I particularly liked the Carranger/Turbo sequence where the car-Zords assemble while driving in formation and only rise up to the vertical once they're assembled. It's more believable than all the ones where the Zords are just flying through abstract space.

6. kirk55555

kirk55555 Vice Admiral Admiral

So the crossover involves the most popular Saban season (Time Force), Disney season (RPM), Neo-Saban season (Dino Charge), the currently airing season (Ninja Steel) and the other season with Tommy (Dino thunder, presumably so they can have young Tommy, old Tommy and evil Tommy together). It makes sense. Obviously I wish my favorite season was represented, but there wasn't much chance of a season like Lost Galaxy getting a slot unless it was an all Rangers or all one color of Rangers crossover. I'm definitely interesting in the crossover.

Danlav05 likes this.
  7. Danlav05

Danlav05 Commodore Commodore

8. The Borgified Corpse

The Borgified Corpse Admiral Admiral

Ouch! Forgotten already? You were just down ther
    The character story worked for me but it's not really the kind of thing that I'm generally interested in. And I agree about reusing the names of characters that they have nothing in common with. I was especially annoyed with Billy. As something of a nerd myself, he tended to be the character that I most related to on the TV show. So I was kinda annoyed when they put him on some kind of autism/aspergers spectrum here. (It's a disturbing anti-intellectual trend that I'm noticing in fiction. People aren't allowed to be exceptionally intelligent unless there's also something wrong with them.)

I don't know why they didn't run with that storyline anyway. Either make them fraternal twins or cast Turner in the scenes where they do the actual reveal.

I'm not just talking about slapstick. A lot of it is little things, like little looks that they would give to each other or facial expressions that they would make when they're attacked by a monster or something. I feel like I should be "too sophisticated" to appreciate their overly broad antics at my age but they're extremely talented and, as an amateur comedian myself, I admire their full commitment to each and every ridiculous bit.

It probably also didn't help that, given the time & budget restraints of the show, they probably didn't have any time to train the chimps to actually do anything besides sit there while they dubbed the actors' voices over them.

Turner's Divatox was probably my favorite thing about that season when I was a kid. "Viva la Diva!"

9. Christopher

"Wrong?" That's egregiously missing the point, and it's an outdated and offensive assumption. The whole point is that we now understand that autism is not a disease; it's just a natural difference that's been wrongly stigmatized as a defect, the way left-handedness and homosexuality were before. The way Billy was portrayed in the movie was great -- it made it clear that there was nothing wrong with his being on the spectrum, that it was just who Billy was, and Jason and the others took it in stride and accepted his difference. That was terrific, a step forward in the portrayal of neuro-atypical characters. It's not that there's something "wrong" with geniuses -- it's that people are often geniuses because their brains work in a different way whose benefits society has been slow to recognize.

I see. When I hear "physical humor," I take that to mean slapstick, pratfalls, etc. What you're describing is the same sort of thing I'm talking about, the personal chemistry and rapport between them. I see that as more about acting.

10. Christopher

Belated heads-up: The Super Ninja Steel season premiere is in less than an hour!

11. Mark_Nguyen

Mark_Nguyen Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I'll gladly watch it whenever it makes it to Canada. Next ice age, likely. :P

Back to the presence of child actors, one wonders if Saban will be hiring a kid to be the (lighter) blue Kyuuranger for its inevitable adaptation. I can see them liking the concept of a younger character to appeal to the target demo, but OTOH with a total of twelve suits to worry about, the low budget of the adaptations would make him one of those always-masked, in-the-background Rangers so the gang can concentrate on the six prettier ones. OTOOH, the Kyuuranger team includes the usual mentor and tech support characters as active sentai fighters too, so they could also arrange it a la Dino Charge...

Mark

12. Christopher

Well, Super Ninja Steel's premiere "Echoes of Evil" had some unexpected stuff in it. It opened with the return of Sledge and his crew from Dino Super Charge. In that series, the original timeline's version of Sledge and his ship were sucked into a black hole, and the Rangers then went back in time and created an alternate history where Sledge was killed 65 million years before and the dinosaurs never went extinct. This episode opens with the original timeline's version of Sledge and his crew emerging from a wormhole into the Ninja Steel universe, which they recognize as an alternate universe to their own -- which doesn't rule out the possibility that it's the same timeline created at the end of Dino Super Charge, I suppose, though I suspect it's meant to indicate that the two series are in completely unrelated realities, so as to dodge the issue of the dinosaurs being un-extincted in DSC's finale. Either way, though, does this mean that time travel in the PR universe creates a branching parallel history rather than erasing the original, since "OG" Sledge & crew's black-hole fate still happened? Or maybe OG Sledge & crew survived the erasure of the timeline they came from because they were no longer in it when the change happened.

Anyway, Sledge helps Madame Odius repair the Galaxy Warriors ship in exchange for an asteroid containing "Super Ninja Steel," although Odius and a new hench-monster (a prisoner of Sledge's whom Odius frees) contrive to steal the metal for themselves. But that means that Sledge & crew are still alive and active in the NS universe, and thus could potentially return in the future.

Aside from that, though, the episode is mainly about restoring the status quo that the previous finale upended -- getting the Rangers their powers (and Mick) back and putting Galaxy Warriors back on the air, just with Odius in charge instead of Galvanax. Even though their Ninja Steel is supposedly "Super" now, there's no evident difference in what they can do with it, and it kind of cheapens that big, decisive finale that it could all be reset so easily. And they're still relying way too much on juvenile grossout humor with Victor & Monty.

Well, I guess Brody's father being back is another significant change, although the actor really needs to work on his American accent. Anyway, how was he able to just open the trophy case right up to put the Ninja Steel-hiding trophy back in its old place? Don't they lock those things?

May 20 likes this.
  13. Samurai8472

Trailer # 4 for Lupinranger VS Patoranger

Back to the three walled cockpit with the Lupiranger's. I wonder if the Patorangers will stay in individual cockpits like SPD/Dekaranger to save money and Kyuranger

Slightly off topic. Everytime I see Ryu Commander's Ryuu Voyager I want to hum the Dairanger theme

Last edited: Jan 28, 2018
  14. Samurai8472

Lupinranger and Patoranger specific trailers

15. Christopher

Pretty mediocre Super Ninja Steel episode today -- "Moment of Truth," featuring a monster that feeds on lies just when Calvin is lying to Hayley about forgetting their "anniversary" as boyfriend and girlfriend. Could've had potential, but it played out pretty simplistically, and was wrapped up rather quickly so they could spend the last half of the episode on the monster fight.

The thing that seemed like a waste to me is that there wasn't really anything about the monster's design or behavior that fit the theme of being powered by lies. Indeed, ironically, the monster was truthful to a fault, unwisely blabbing to the Rangers about the source of his power, which let them figure out how to beat him. It would've been more interesting if the monster had been a compulsive liar, with the Rangers catching on that everything he said was a lie and thus deducing that their own lies were the source of his power. But the writing doesn't seem to have even that much cleverness anymore.

The corresponding Yokai from Ninninger was actually a Frankenstein-themed monster whose beam shut down machinery. He appeared along with Dracula and Wolf Man Yokai, so we may see monsters based on them soon.

16. JD

JD Fleet Admiral Admiral

Last edited: Feb 6, 2018
  17. Christopher

Only realistic-looking guns that fire bullets. The Power Rangers have always used their fancy, toyetic guns that fire energy bolts and turn into swords and batons and stuff. The concern is about the risk that kids may emulate what they see, so American kids' TV tends to censor things like realistic guns, punching people in the face (often implied but not shown on camera), that sort of thing.

There have been a few kids' cartoons that have gotten away with realistic-looking guns instead of fanciful ones that fired lasers. Batman: The Animated Series managed to get guns and bullets onscreen, though it had to be extremely circumspect about showing them hit anybody, which is why the Wayne murders were never overtly shown. The Rambo cartoon -- yes, there was one -- managed to have A-Team levels of gunplay, with people spraying bullets everywhere but only hitting inanimate objects. I'm not sure how it got away with that, considering that the show it most resembled, G.I. Joe, had all its soldiers use laser guns.

Shaka Zulu likes this.
  18. Christopher

Another mediocre Super Ninja Steel, as a monster impersonates a pretty street musician to attract Levi and trick him into singing a song that makes him evil. Okay. She's lucky he didn't sic his lawyers on her for performing his songs in public without paying him royalties.

They seem to be assigning monsters somewhat randomly to plots, or vice-versa, since they're giving monsters powers that the corresponding Yokai in Ninninger didn't have at all. According to RangerWiki, this one was an umbrella/fountain-pen monster that could make rain and fire explosive ink. There was a disguise theme, but it disguised itself as an umbrella in an attempt to trick the Ninningers' mentor into taking it to their secret dojo. It looks like they combined footage from that episode with the episode that introduced StarNinger (Levi's counterpart). There, he wasn't fighting the other Ninningers because he was evil, but because he saw them as competitors.

19. Samurai8472

Last edited: Feb 10, 2018
  20. Samurai8472

Some breaking news on the power ranger side.

First new power rangers brand logo in 23 years

[​IMG]

After 25 years together Bandai America and power rangers are going their separate ways

http://news.tokunation.com/2018/02/15/power-rangers-bandai-america-part-ways-50205

Nothing changes with Super Sentai. I guess Bandai America helping design certain things in Kyuranger was pointless.