Power Rangers

Discussion in 'Science Fiction & Fantasy' started by SG-17, Aug 7, 2010.

1. The Borgified Corpse

The Borgified Corpse Admiral Admiral

Ouch! Forgotten already? You were just down ther
    IMO, no one can hold a candle to the ladies of Power Rangers in Space. My inner teenager is still madly in love with Ashley & Cassie. Toss Astronema in there and damn!... (Although Zeo era Katherine will always be my all-time favorite.)

I was just reading about Cole's parents online. Apparently, the original agreement with the Fox Kids censors was that they could only kill Cole's parents if they promised to resurrect them later in the series. But then ABC took over the show and they had no knowledge of the original agreement, so the writers were allowed to keep them dead.

Megaranger is out on DVD now. I just saw a copy at my local FYE the other day.

That's just a standard TV trope. Reminds me of a line that Xander had in an episode of Buffy the Vampire Slayer. "You know what college is? It's like high school but without the going to class! Well... high school was like that too."

It's been ages since I've seen an episode of Power Rangers. In fact, I haven't watched the show faithfully since the original run of In Space. That was kinda when I "outgrew" the show. Technically, I was probably "too old" for it by the time that Mighty Morphin ended. My best friend & I were closet PR fans all through Zeo, Turbo, & In Space, to the point where I rehearsed an alibi for when we went to the theater to see Turbo: A Power Rangers Movie just in case we ran into anyone that I knew while we were there (which we did, so it came in handy :D ). It's odd the things that you feel embarrassed about as a kid that don't phase you as an adult.

I've been tempted to try going back into the series. I felt a sudden pang of nostalgia recently. (It actually came from watching the movie The Right Stuff and remembering that I still have a copy of Fox Kids Magazine with a photo of the In Space cast next to a profile of John Glenn. I think I may be the only person who has ever thought about Power Rangers while watching that movie.) What kinda holds me back is the sneaking suspicion that the show won't hold up anywhere near what it feels like in my memory. I remember it as an action-packed sci-fi adventure, not a hyperactive toy commercial that has to spell everything out in big bold letters. Still, I found some half-decent Astronema tribute videos online, and have been feeding my nostalgia kick that way so far. And I wonder... the action still looks good and the music from the show is actually better than I remember. I dunno. I typically don't have much time for TV these days and the seasons are all so long that I'm not sure how much payoff there would be. At least the DVDs are pretty cheap on Amazon these days.

Whaddaya think? Is it worth it?

BTW, I'm interested in knowing what the real-life issues were that led to them lightening up the tone of Ohranger.

P.S. I also found this interview with Christopher Khayman Lee and it's put the biggest smile on my face. Oh, how the last 17 years have changed us all. I don't know that I've ever seen an interview with an actor that reminded me less of the character that they played.

2. Christopher

Christopher Writer Admiral

They were kinda hot, especially Tracy Lynn Cruz. (She's the actress who made me understand the phrase "You're beautiful when you're angry" for the first time. She was much hotter when Ashley was under a spell and turned evil.) But they're not as magnificent as Amy Jo Johnson.

Yeah, but at least school-based shows usually at least pay lip service to the idea that the kids go to classes. I remember MMPR having a lot of scenes set in classrooms, as did Megaforce. But while NS has occasional classroom scenes, it frequently has episodes where school just seems to be a place where everybody hangs out in the lobby to listen to Victor and Monty's latest nonsense or watch Preston's magic show or have the principal announce a competition. It's not between classes, it's instead of classes. Of course the trope exists to an extent in a lot of shows, but rarely this egregiously.

I was 25 when MMPR started. I was always "too old" for it -- but not too old to appreciate Amy Jo Johnson and Thuy Trang. And by the time they moved on, the writing had improved to the point that it was still worth watching.

Depends on the season. There's some pretty good stuff in Lost Galaxy and Lightspeed Rescue, some of which is almost as dramatic as Super Sentai writing. Time Force is top-notch and definitely worth it. After that, it's a mixed bag. I liked Dino Thunder, Mystic Force, Jungle Fury, and especially RPM, which was kind of a gritty adult reboot/deconstruction of Power Rangers but also the funniest season they've ever done, with a superb cast (including several actors who've gone onto subsequent success -- Eka Darville, Rose McIver, Adelaide Kane). A lot of people like Ninja Storm and SPD, but I found the former dumb and annoying, and while I respected the complexity of the stories and characters in the latter, I never warmed to the cast.

The post-Disney stuff since then has ranged from awful to okay, with Dino Charge being the most successful incarnation.

http://powerrangers.wikia.com/wiki/Ohranger

3. The Borgified Corpse

The Borgified Corpse Admiral Admiral

Ouch! Forgotten already? You were just down ther
    I realize that I'm in the minority on this, but Kimberly was always firmly in my "cute but not hot" category. But, hey, takes all kinds I guess.

4. JD

JD Fleet Admiral Admiral

5. Christopher

In celebration of oh my god I am so old.

6. FormerLurker

FormerLurker Commodore Commodore

Of course you are. Isn't everyone?

7. fireproof78

fireproof78 Vice Admiral Admiral

When did that happen? I remember think they were going to be cowboys with lasers....

8. Samurai8472

Samurai8472 Vice Admiral Admiral

Interestingly Chameleon Green from Kyuranger is in the photo

Looking more likely KyuRanger will be adapted next. Goodbye Zyouhger

[​IMG]

If anyone needs a crash course in Super Sentai, Zyougher did some sort videos for the 40th anniversary last year

9. Hound of UIster

Hound of UIster Vice Admiral Admiral

No surprise. Zyuohger was a commercial failure. Kyuranger was intended for adaptation from the get go and had input from Bandai America during the conception.

10. Christopher

So how was Zyuohger as, you know, a story, rather than a toy commercial? I tend to like watching the Sentai shows that didn't get Power Rangers equivalents -- to date, my favorite Sentais that I've seen have been Jetman and Go-Busters -- and that's happening quite a lot lately now that Saban is spreading series out over two seasons. Although ToQger didn't strike me as too interesting.

11. Takeru

Takeru Space Police Premium Member

I liked the heroes but the story was underwhelming and the villains quite boring. It wasn't bad but kinda forgettable.

Gekiranger had a great story if that's what you're looking for, Magiranger was pretty good too. Of the unadapted sentais I liked Bioman, Flashman and Maskman a lot. Changeman is supposed to be very good but I haven't seen much of it.

12. Samurai8472

Yamato the red ranger for Zyouhger was the most down to earth red we've had in a long while. He was the straight man to the antics of the four zyumen from a different dimension.

He got the most power ups but you didn't hate him for it. You felt he deserved it.

Misao our 6th ranger suffered from depression because he was used as a pawn by the villains. His powers came from three captured zyumen who were killed to make Zyou The World

The depression shtick wears out it's welcome after a few episodes

The girls did their duty. That's pretty much all they did.

Zyouhger VS Gokaiger is on youtube BTW

Last edited: Dec 7, 2017
  13. Mark_Nguyen

Mark_Nguyen Commodore Commodore

I only made it through a few episodes of Zyuouoger.. It wasn't that engaging to me, though the premise seemed fun enough (ancient humanoid earthican furries come to the present, hilarity ensues). The suit and mecha designs were pretty off-putting to me too, and that Tarzan-esque yodeling was painfully eye-rolling... Still, given how many liberties Power Rangers has taken with the original formats in past incarnations (e.g. removing the weird samba element from Kyoryuuger), I wouldn't hesitate to think they'd be able to keep the better parts and jettison or rewrite the rest to fit.

I *have* been enjoying Kyuuranger a lot, though. The structure would be quite amenable to adaptation though I hope they keep the interstellar adventure aspect of it given how popular sci-fi is right now. I envision a Lost Galaxy esque sort of story, hopefully porting over Shou Ronpou (the purple dragon guy) over as the mentor as well as many of the other non-live-actor sentai characters. I loved Doggie Kruger. :)

Mark

14. Samurai8472

The first scan for the 2018 sentai is out. Everyone loves hats right?

We have the cops hats for the PatoRanger and the top hats for the LupinRanger( taking inspiration from that Lupin anime)

Also both teams mecha

https://imgur.com/uWwJuTh[​IMG]

Toy catalog info

--FIRST QUARTER TOY CATALOG INFO--

Thanks to cranejoe for everything!

http://cranejoe.blog.jp/archives/73957597.html

-Our collectibles this year are the "VSV" (VS Vehicles)

Releasing in February:

ROLEPLAY ITEMS:

Double Henshin Juu (Transformation Gun) DX VS Changer LupinRed Set
    Price- 4,200 yen
    -Shared henshin weapon of both teams. This set includes the Red Dial Fighter.
    The VS Changer recognizes all VS Vehicles, with varying sound effects.

Double Henshin Juu (Transformation Gun) DX VS Changer PatorenIchigo Set
    Price- 4,200 yen
    -Shared henshin weapon of both teams. This set includes the Trigger Machine Ichigo.
    The VS Changer recognizes all VS Vehicles, with varying sound effects.

Itadaki KaiTou (Taking Thief Sword) LupinSword
    Price- 2,800 yen
    -Shared weapon between the 3 Lupinranger. Can transform from Sword Mode to Magic Hand Mode. By operating the lever, the hand can be opened and closed.

Kakusei Keibou (Amplification Baton) PatoMegaBou
    Price- 2,800 yen
    -Shared weapon between the 3 Patoranger. Can transform from Baton Mode to Megaphone Mode. By pressing the buttons, various sounds can be unlocked.

VSV SERIES:

VSV DX Red Dial Fighter
    Price- 1,500 yen
    -One of the Lupinranger VS Vehicles; a Jet. Its Mode Transformation Gimmick is a Beam Gun. It can combine with other VS Vehicles.

VSV DX Blue Dial Fighter
    Price- 1,500 yen
    -One of the Lupiranger VS Vehicles; a Propeller Plane. Its Mode Transformation Gimmick is a Gatling Gun. It can combine with other VS Vehicles.

VSV DX Yellow Dial Fighter
    Price- 1,500 yen
    -One of the Lupinranger VS Vehicles; a Side Rotor Helicopter. Its Mode Transformation Gimmick is a Rotating Blade. It can combine with other VS Vehicles.

VSV DX Trigger Machine Ichigo
    Price- 1,500 yen
    -One of the Patoranger VS Vehichles. Its Mode Transformation Gimmick is a Wheel. It can combine with other VS Vehicles.

VSV DX Trigger Machine Nigo
    Price- 1,500 yen
    -One of the Patoranger VS Vehicles. Its Mode Transformation Gimmick is a Gun Battery. It can combine with other VS Vehicles.

VSV DX Trigger Machine Sango
    Price- 1,500 yen
    -One of the Patoranger VS Vehicles. Its Mode Transformation Gimmick is a Baton. It can combine with other VS Vehicles.

SH SERIES:
    Price- 900 yen
    -SH Series for Sentai 2018. For Lupinranger we have SH LupinRed, SH LupinBlue, and SH LupinYellow. For Patoranger, we have SH PatorenIchigo (Red), SH PatorenNigo (Green) and SH PatorenSango (Pink).

Releasing in Early March:

VSV SERIES:

VSV Double Henshin DX GoodStriker
    Price Not Confirmed
    -A giant VS Vehicle which appears in the middle of battle to help either one of the teams. Attaching either in Dial Fighter Mode or Trigger Machine Mode to Changer activates sounds! Also combines with 3 Fighters or 3 Machines to form a robo.

VSV Kaitou Gattai DX LupinKaizer Set
    Price Not Confirmed
    -Set of GoodStriker, Red, Blue and Yellow Dial Fighters

VSV Keisatsu Gattai DX PatoKaiser Set
    -Set of GoodStriker, Trigger Machines Ichigo, Nigo and Sango

SH SERIES:

SH PatorenUgo
    900 yen
    -PatorenUgo is a fusion/finishing move of the 3 Patoranger. It is not a 7th ranger.

Releasing in Late March:

VSV SERIES:

VSV DX Cyclone Dial Fighter
    Price- 1,500 yen
    -One of the Lupinranger VS Vehicles; a twin-rotor helicopter. Its Mode Transformation Gimmick has propellers spring out. It can combine with other VS Vehicles.

VSV DX Trigger Machine Biker
    Price- 1,500 yen
    -One of the Patoranger VS Vehicles; a Police Motorcycle. Its Mode Transformation Gimmick is a Yo-Yo. It can combine with other VS Vehicles.

CAMPAIGNS:

Campaign 1:
    -In March, if you purchase GoodStriker, you can get one of 2 "VS Emblems." There's a Silver V for Lupinranger and a Gold S for Patoranger.

Campaign 2:
    -In April, if you buy any toy in the VSV series, you can get a "Mini VS Vehicle." This Mini Vehicle will be compatible with the VS Changer and combine-able with the other mechs.

OTHER INFO:

-The reason the toy line is broken up the way it is is so you can buy either version of the changer, and then only need to buy 6 other items, to have everything for both robots.

-The GoodStriker seems to be sentient, and chooses the team it thinks is worthy during battle to form the robot.

-Because the teams can't fight each other in the robot stage; at least not yet, it would seem they butt heads but usually team up together against the bigger villains.

-Both Gashapon and Candy Toy will have half-sized versions of the VSV, called "VSV lite." They don't transform, per se, but work in the Changer.

15. Christopher

I was wondering if that would be the case.

I'm surprised that both teams have Red Rangers. I don't think we've had two simultaneous Reds as main characters before. Timeranger/Time Force had a Red Sixth Ranger join midway through, and it looks like Kyuranger does too, but they weren't there from the beginning as part of the core teams. Otherwise we've had some cases where the Red mantle was possessed by different people at different times, like in Dekaranger/SPD, Shinkenger/Samurai, and Ninninger/Ninja Steel.

16. Danlav05

Danlav05 Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Power Rangers skip every other Sentai now do they not? Go-Busters (I loved the suits, pity we missed out tbh), ToQger and now Zyuonger. KyuRanger does look REALLY good though, Bandai America helped develop it, can't wait to see the Power Rangers equivalant.

Shattered Grid looks promising, Boom have worked wonders so fat. Hopefully the non-MMPR teams will get a good chance of the spotlight. Maybe it could rival Forever Red and Once A Ranger?! (no mention for Legendary Battle.)

look at all the Power Rangers we've had in the past year - Hyperforce, the new movie, Boom Comics and Ninja Steel. With a lot mroe to come.

17. Hound of UIster

Hound of UIster Vice Admiral Admiral

Hurricanger did the idea of rival teams with two reds and two blues iirc.

18. Christopher

I don't think it's an official policy to skip every other one -- it's just that they've skipped over the weaker performers or the ones that they didn't think would translate well (like ToQger and its train-heavy format). It's just happened to work out as every alternate series for the past few years. I mean, Megaforce adapted Goseiger in its first season and Gokaiger in its second. If the approach had been to skip every second series like clockwork, then they would've just skipped right from Shurikenger to Gokaiger.

I still think it's ironic that they skipped Go-Busters, since that one was designed to be Power Rangers-like in some respects, like calling the giant robots Megazords and using "It's Morphin' Time" as the transformation phrase.

I hadn't heard of Hyper Force, so I looked it up. Seriously, there's an online show of actors sitting around playing an RPG as Power Rangers characters? Weird. Although I guess it could appeal to people who are into RPGs.

Danlav05 likes this.
  19. Samurai8472

Full scans have been released

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: Dec 9, 2017
  20. Stephen!

Stephen! Fleet Captain Fleet Captain