Post a DIFFICULT Star Trek trivia question

Discussion in 'Star Trek - The Original & Animated Series' started by BlueStuff, May 4, 2020.

1. ItsGreen

ItsGreen Captain Captain

Long scene, "Is There In Truth No Beauty" scene where Larry (Marvick) goes into Miranda cabin, the speech "Why don't you try being a woman for a change?"...Larry leaves, comes back, pulls phaser on Kolos, subsequent exposure to the Medusan Kolos, screams in hallway, Miranda then goes to Kolos, Larry then ends up in turbolift and scene ends where he punches a crewman when the doors open, then Kirk and gang are seen.

Last edited: May 6, 2020
    ZapBrannigan and Phaser Two like this.
  2. Grant

Grant Commodore Commodore

Is that 5:22 or longer?
    Good scene!

3. gottacook

gottacook Captain Captain

What about Ben Childress and Eve trying out domestic life together (hanging pans in the sandstorm, etc.)? I haven't timed it, but it seemed decently long.

Phaser Two and Grant like this.
  4. Phaser Two

Phaser Two Commodore Premium Member

So what's the answer on the long scene? My guess was The Apple's scene as well. I did consider Truth - but didn't think it was long enough - and did not think of Mudd's Women.

5. Grant

Well I haven't checked all the ones mentioned by you guys yet but the one I think is the longest (at 5:22) is the scene with Mitchell, Dehner, Kelso and Dr. Piper in sickbay in "Where No Man Has Gone Before"

6. ItsGreen

ItsGreen Captain Captain

Well this is minor but perhaps should be considered, Dr. Piper was the chief medical officer (if they called it that then) at that time in that episode (if we are considering McCoy a main character later on) so I think he should be considered a main character even if he didn't last but this one episode, so his early scene should possible be cut time wise on the overall total, maybe?? (p.s. I'm watching online at dailymotion and most of the episodes are are flipped, slowed down etc to prevent takedown so my time numbers maybe off)

7. Grant

The "Apple" scene is 3:52 and the "Mudd's Women" scene is 2:57

The Mudd's Women scene between the 2 guests is broken up by short scenes on the ship a couple of times. But it seems long for sure.

So imagine how long that 5::22 scene is if it far exceeds those two.

8. Grant

From what I understand Roddenberry never intended for Piper to be the regular. He already had his eye on Kelley for the permanent part if the pilot was picked up.

9. ItsGreen

ItsGreen Captain Captain

Thanks for the clarification on the Piper/McCoy character.

I'll post another trivia question:

In what episode does Kirk pick up the George Dickel Saurian Brandy bottle but he doesn't pour it nor take a drink?

10. telerites

telerites Commander Red Shirt

What is the final digit of pi?

11. gottacook

How many different ways is Irina's surname pronounced in "The Way to Eden"?

12. ItsGreen

ItsGreen Captain Captain

13. ItsGreen

ItsGreen Captain Captain

Ok the answer to the maximum/most number of crew members
    on the bridge at one time in one scene and in what episode?
    is 16 in "Operation--Annihilate!"[​IMG]

Henoch, ZapBrannigan and Phaser Two like this.
  14. Grant

Wow the amazing thing is none of those angles ever showed the two stations on the right front of the bridge! There's theoretically at least two more people on the bridge. LOL

15. Grant

Does good Kirk pick up the saurian Brandy bottle in Enemy Within and not drink any?

16. ItsGreen

ItsGreen Captain Captain

Didn't think about "good" Kirk, I'll have to check. "Evil" Kirk of course slugs it down right from the bottle in Enemy Within, in the answer episode he never drinks it, just picks up the bottle!

Edit add: @Grant Well "good" Kirk does take the empty bottle from Spock and doesn't drink it, so guess you get half correct (or is that a quarter correct?) for half a Kirk, but that is not the episode I am looking for!

Last edited: May 7, 2020
    Henoch and Phaser Two like this.
  17. gottacook

Irina's surname, by my count, is mentioned three times and pronounced three different ways:
    CHEKOV on the bridge: "Sir, I believe I know one of them. At least, I think I recognize her voice. Her name is Irina Galliulin." (Galley-ul-yin)
    CHEKOV in Sickbay waiting room: "Excuse me. Is Irina Galliulin with you?" (as spelled)
    SPOCK on the bridge (final scene): "Miss Galliulin. It is my sincere wish that you do not give up your search for Eden." (Gal-yoon)
    Well, the script supervisor was probably not the most dedicated employee by the time they shot this episode... if anyone was by that point. (I do think Sevrin's ears and costume were successful, as were the songs with lyrics; the instrumental duet was just a loose sort of 12-bar blues but still OK.)

ZapBrannigan and Phaser Two like this.
  18. ZapBrannigan

ZapBrannigan Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I'll have to check my La La Land liner notes later, but I think the instrumental duet was composed by someone else, as opposed to rest of the music, the good stuff.

19. Methuselah Flint

Methuselah Flint Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Sorry ignore post!

20. ZapBrannigan

ZapBrannigan Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I checked the liner notes: Spock's instrumental was "Far Out Jam" composed by guitarist William Pitman. It was the only thing he composed for the episode, and it does stand out as very different.

Phaser Two likes this.