News Picard series to have "strong international appeal"

Discussion in 'Star Trek: Picard' started by The Butter Phantom, May 3, 2019.

1. Jayson1

Jayson1 Fleet Admiral Admiral

Then they made a mistake using Picard since he is literally a aging straight white man.

Jason

mos6507 likes this.
  2. donners22

donners22 Commodore Commodore

The composition of the cast is a big factor, as is the characterisation and the stories. Enterprise in particular felt jarringly American in all those respects, but it's nothing new - Nicholas Meyer referred to the Starfleet of TOS essentially representing America.

The difference in rights between Discovery/direct spin-offs and other Trek shows is not a conspiracy theory from the hate channels, it comes directly from CBS:

DEADLINE: Are the Star Trek extensions contractually obligated to go to Netflix internationally per the deal on Discovery?
    STAPF: It’s complicated. Some are, some aren’t, depending on how it gets defined as series or a spinoff.
    DEADLINE: So, the one announced yesterday with Sir Patrick, that’s a standalone series right?
    STAPF: Yes, that’s a new series. Which I think is important to distinguish.
    DEADLINE: Are you looking for similar international distribution deals for the new Star Trek to the one you have for Discovery with Netflix or are you looking to retain some international rights as CBS All Access is expanding its footprint to Canada and Australia?
    STAPF: We’re looking at all of it and have the ability to do that.

https://deadline.com/2018/08/patric...l-access-executives-interview-tca-1202440492/

Last edited: May 4, 2019
    F. King Daniel and JoeZhang like this.
  3. JoeZhang

JoeZhang Vice Admiral Admiral

I've never watched Midnight's Edge (or indeed anything fan produced) - This was in the trade media - so you might want to think on before posting.

It could well be and I wouldn't bet against it but it's that they are going to ship it around - It could end up on Amazon Prime internationally.

Last edited: May 4, 2019
    BillJ likes this.
  4. The Butter Phantom

The Butter Phantom Lieutenant Commander Red Shirt

True. It could go anywhere, even traditional TV too, like The Good Fight. They'll pick where they get the best deal.

People make a big song and dance over Netflix paying around $10M+ an episode for Discovery, but that's what they would be making anyway if they did dozens of different broadcasters anyway.

5. rahullak

rahullak Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I do hope they have it on Amazon Prime internationally. Netflix is really expensive here. If it's both, then that serves consumers well.

6. mos6507

mos6507 Commodore Commodore

It's pretty easy to understand. I think they came up with the Picard idea first as a gimmick to bring disenchanted fans back to the table, but then things went to the Discovery writer's room and, well, we know the kind of material they come up with. Same deal with introducing Pike. Pike was a carrot.

7. F. King Daniel

F. King Daniel Fleet Admiral Admiral

8. Alan Roi

Alan Roi Commodore Commodore

Intergalactic (Oooh... more Beastie Boys licensing opportunities)

9. Timelord Victorious

Timelord Victorious Vice Admiral Admiral

It makes sense to have it on Netflix.
    You want all your shows to be available at the same spot for easier cross promotions and possible crossover events.

Turtletrekker and F. King Daniel like this.
  10. JoeZhang

If that was the case it would have been bundled in with the Netflix license. From a business perspective, competition is good for profitability. Remember in the main US market they will be together and CBS access is expanding internationally (although slowly).

11. F. King Daniel

F. King Daniel Fleet Admiral Admiral

I'm sure they quietly announced it would be on Netflix months ago. But now more and more people are asking about international distribution they're probably going to wait and make a bigger announcement once more publicity is drummed up.

Or maybe wherever it was I first read it was making a big assumption:shrug:

12. StalwartUK

StalwartUK Captain Captain

Amazon doesn't have the same reach as Netflix has worldwide right? Though I imagine the potential market is similar particularly for something like Trek. I doubt CBS are gonna give it to Netflix either, they will want to make their moneys worth out of it and will shop it around to do so.

Netflix already isn't joined at the hip with CBS in regards to releasing material as we saw with how they handled the Short Treks: Months later and hidden away with the trailers like some afterthought, they didn't even bother writing up a brief description of what they were.

On an International level TNG probably does have more nostalgic value worldwide since it was probably seen in more countries when it debuted, countries like Germany probably hold it in more reverence than even TOS.

Also I wonder how much involvement Picard/Stewart will actually have in the upcoming series. I can't see them launching a show that's too reliant on him and will no doubt be trying to make it appeal to people who never saw TNG or its films.

13. XCV330

XCV330 Premium Member

Amazon offers CBSAA through Prime for an extra fee, so they're not hurting, either way. Plus Amazon is going to push its own sci fi/fantasy series like Expanse, the Middle Earth one, Electric Sheep, etc.

14. donners22

donners22 Commodore Commodore

On the other hand, given they’re trying to roll out CBSAA outside the US, it doesn’t make sense to omit some of its most prominent original content.

The Australian equivalent is laughably bare. The only way I’d subscribe is for a Trek series.

They’ve sacrificed viewer numbers in the US for the sake of pushing All Access, and I have no doubt they’ll do the same outside the US.

15. JoeZhang

16. Crazyewok

Crazyewok Vice Admiral Admiral

Well you guys do kinda bring on yourself :nyah:

F. King Daniel likes this.
  17. CorporalCaptain

CorporalCaptain Fleet Admiral Admiral

What are you talking about here?

18. thribs

thribs Vice Admiral Admiral

It’s going to have a ginger in it? If not then it won’t.