Picard Season 3 Teaser Trailer

Discussion in 'Star Trek: Picard' started by Precious Tritium, Sep 8, 2022.

1. Ianburns252

Ianburns252 Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Not sure anyone is getting upset, certainly from my side I'm merely pointing towards my perception of the two shows and that they are equally violent - although I will agree with you that the violence depicted is very different in terms of how graphic it is.

That said, for the norms of the time, I think they are at a similar level - the 90s usually going for suggestive (you see the rope tighten and the feet swing for example) whereas modern day you will see a head roll on the floor. Looking at contemporary shows such as Buffy in the 90s and Thrones in the 10s and 20s then the various Trek shows are on a par

Lord Garth likes this.
  2. Lord Garth

Lord Garth Admiral Admiral

Homicide, another show by Tom Fontana like Oz, wasn't the typical 1990s program. It was darker than the median.

Or we were watching different shows in those days.

It's been understood for decades that whenever it's said that DS9 is "dark", it's in comparison to TNG. We can compare DS9 to different shows and get a different result but I try not to do that because I don't know what other people on here have seen. So I go by what I know everyone else here has seen, so we have a common frame of reference to discuss things.

Jake and Nog were teenagers not children. Jake's barely even in most episodes. Nog didn't get any substantial focus until he was a Cadet and later an Ensign. That would make him a young adult, not the same as a child.

So if that was your criteria for calling DS9 a children's show, then you should've called it an adolescent's show. Which would work if they were the main focus of the series, but they weren't.

Last edited: Nov 3, 2022
    Anduinel likes this.
  3. NCC-73515

NCC-73515 Vice Admiral Admiral

The Bajoran turning into very detailed BBQ in that transporter assassination when all of Kira's helpers were killed was pretty damn graphic

Lord Garth likes this.
  4. Lord Garth

A few other things:

"Duet" definitely isn't the type of episode that's intended for children. That's aimed towards teens and adults. Anything that's an allegory for Nazis and the Holocaust isn't intended for ages 12 & Under.

"In the Hands of the Prophets" where there's an argument over whether or not there's room for religion in classrooms and if the teachings of science are in conflict with religion, that's an issue that's still argued about in The Bible Belt. There are probably School Committee Meetings in some southern states where these arguments are brought up from time to time. It wouldn't surprise me.

The Bajoran Politics in general. I don't see how politics -- even fictional politics -- could be something that would appeal to children. Again, meaning 12 & Under. I was 13 when DS9 first premiered and even at 13 that stuff didn't interest me at all. I tuned out of DS9 after a few weeks and didn't watch DS9 again until after TNG was cancelled, when I decided to give it a second chance. By then the focus had shifted more towards the Dominion. I didn't become more interested in the Bajoran Politics until local TV stations began airing DS9 late at night in strip-syndication when I was 17. That's when I first saw most of the first two seasons. The four years made a difference.

I'm not a Niner. I still like the show, but I don't re-watch it. I'm not bothered that New Trek's follow-up on DS9 has been minimal compared to TOS, TNG, and VOY. There are some things about DS9 that nowadays I fundamentally don't agree with. I think over time the show has slowly gone from underrated to overrated. But to call it a children's show is both inaccurate and a serious misrepresentation of what the show was. Was it Homocide? No. Was it something like Power Rangers (an actual children's show)? No. It was somewhere in-between. The truth isn't black-and-white, it's not "it's either this or it's that", and someone who's truly adult -- and can see nuance -- will be able to see that and won't be so reductive in the arguments they're presenting here.

Last edited: Nov 3, 2022
    Commander Troi likes this.
  5. Tuskin38

Tuskin38 Fleet Admiral Admiral

Yeah I was comparing DS9 to the rest of trek at the time, not what was airing on TV at the time.

DS9 is dark compared to most of the series and movies pre-Discovery.

Commander Troi, KennyB and Lord Garth like this.
  6. The Wormhole

The Wormhole Fleet Admiral Admiral

That's ultimately the crux of the matter. Yes, DS9 is very groundbreaking compared to the other Trek shows of the time, but compared to other TV shows of its era, it really wasn't charting new territory at all.

KennyB likes this.
  7. Reanok

Reanok Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Ds9 is not a children's show with the stories of Bajoran occupation stories with the past conflicts with the Cardassians is for older teen and Adults.I like the show it's one of my favorite Star Trek series.

8. Lord Garth

Anyway, PIC Season 3. I wonder who the Captain of the Titan will be?

Last edited: Nov 4, 2022
    saddestmoon likes this.
  9. F. King Daniel

F. King Daniel Fleet Admiral Admiral

They shoud just summon a Pike hologram and give Anson Mount command.

Commander Troi and saddestmoon like this.
  10. Tuskin38

We know who is playing the Titan's captain, but not their character name.

11. Serveaux

Serveaux Fleet Admiral Premium Member

Paramount always viewed the modern Trek shows as family entertainment.

12. Lord Garth

Family shows don't have episodes rated TV-14 or TV-MA like DSC and PIC have. Don't remember about SNW.

As far as TNG-ENT (which are NOT "modern"), geared towards the family doesn't mean geared solely towards children. Children can watch but they aren't the primary or only intended audience.

13. WarpFactorZ

WarpFactorZ Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

14. Tuskin38

15. NCC-73515

Kinda similar to the one in Beyond

F. King Daniel and saddestmoon like this.
  16. Tuskin38

Didn’t discovery have a similar shot too? One of the new shows did

17. NCC-73515

Ah yes, the Shenzhou, but seen from inside

18. Tuskin38

No, I'm thinking of an exterior shot.

19. NCC-73515

20. Dukhat