Paul Wesley's incarnation of James T. Kirk

Discussion in 'Star Trek: Strange New Worlds' started by Caeruleus, Jul 9, 2022.

1. Trekker4747

Trekker4747 Boldly going... Premium Member

I'd argue the only "part" he needed was Spock. But, still, commanding any othership he still would have been a legend.

Bad Thoughts likes this.
  2. Nerys Myk

Nerys Myk A Spock and a smile Premium Member

And I'd say he needs McCoy, as well. Having a "miracle worker" in engineering helps, too.

JRob94 and Donald G like this.
  3. Trekker4747

Trekker4747 Boldly going... Premium Member

No one is calling for a carbon copy, just that he at least gives the vibe of Kirk. Which Wesley hasn't done so far, and we've seen him as a Kirk at a time/age we've seen.

Last edited: Jul 11, 2022
    wa' tlhIngan and Bad Thoughts like this.
  4. Nerys Myk

I wonder how much leeway a Captain has in picking their crew? We know Kirk asked for Mitchell in his first command. And he seemed to have inherited Spock from Pike. Could he have asked for someone else and set Spock on his way?

5. fireproof78

fireproof78 Fleet Admiral Admiral

Exactly. Part of a person is the people, the relationships, that are formed and influenced our own growth.

SolarisOne, shapeshifter and JRob94 like this.
  6. Sisko_is_my_captain

Sisko_is_my_captain Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Honestly, even if Pike changed the future starting at the point of his accident, Kirk should be virtually the same as on TOS. You could erase the past year of my life and I would be substantially the same.

7. Nerys Myk

He changed it at the point he sent the letter to Maat, seven years before the accident.

8. Sisko_is_my_captain

Sisko_is_my_captain Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Perhaps, but still. How widely would you expect changes to radiate in that short time period.

Bad Thoughts likes this.
  9. Nerys Myk

Dominoes.
    Pike stays with the Enterprise. Only Scotty and Uhura are part of the crew, The others are elsewhere. Them not being on the Enterprise knocks over more dominoes.
    Kirk becomes captain of the Farragut. Who ever was the Captain in the Prime Universe has a different path. More dominoes fall.
    Kirk and Pike's ships are given different assignments than they had in the Prime Universe. More dominoes.

10. fireproof78

Very quickly.

SolarisOne likes this.
  11. indranee

indranee Vice Admiral Admiral

I still have problems with Peck swallowing whole words and speaking his "S"s with a chicago-esque accent but on the whole he's an okay Spock.

Also, I'm a little worried about Wesley being a much younger Kirk in Season 2. I mean, I know they do de-aging etc these days and might just do that on him... I mean, he already LOOKS older than Shatner did in Season 1 of TOS. Anyhow, I'm not going to think about this anymore.

Last edited: Jul 11, 2022
  12. bdub76

bdub76 Captain Captain

I do get fragile, old man vibes from his performance. Picard seems more fit in TNG than Wesley does in SNW too. It was a bad casting choice.

wa' tlhIngan likes this.
  13. dswynne1

dswynne1 Captain Captain

Not in the beginning he was. James Cawley grew into the role as Kirk, IMO. Same with Vic Mignogna with his take on Kirk.

14. WarpFactorZ

WarpFactorZ Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Echoing what others are saying in response: things change in an instant. How Kirk's (or anyone's) mannerisms are forged by his interactions with certain people in certain places will differ significantly.

Anyway, here's a BTS picture of Wesley that looks a lot like Chirs Pine:

https://twitter.com/StarTrekOnPPlus/status/1546132136175865856/photo/3

There's hope for him having the essence of Kirk. I'm down with it, and want to see how he grows into the role next season.

15. dswynne1

dswynne1 Captain Captain

Paul Wesley's take on Kirk reminds me more of Chris Pine's take on Kirk, circa STitD. That's not me saying its a bad take, but it's definitely not Shatner's take. Interestingly, Chris Pine's take on Kirk was much better in that SNL skit he did a while back, which was more like Shatner's take on Kirk.

16. Phoenix219

Phoenix219 Commodore Commodore

On the contrary, I saw an old black and white promo picture of Shatner from way before Star Trek, and its astounding how much that picture looks like Chris Pine. If they actually wrote Pine's Kirk to be the same Prime Kirk, I think the resemblance would have been uncanny. (And I'm not a fan of Pine's Kirk, or the Kelvin movies.)

17. Greylock Crescent

Greylock Crescent Adventurer Admiral

The problem with Wesley-as-Kirk is that his performance was completely uninteresting, uninspired and shows nothing of any hints to the personality of James T. Kirk. Honestly, without all of the characters referring to him as Kirk and the fact that he "saves the day" (aka the writing), there's nothing from the performance side to show us anything of Kirk at all.

He's just some lame, flavorless Captain.

The episode wanted to contrast Pike with Kirk - and was written that way - but the performance left out Kirk.

And no, he didn't need to be even close to Captain James T. Kirk of the Enterpise. But his performance should at least have been interesting and hinting at who he would become.

18. fireproof78

Because it was a caricature which Pine explicitly stated avoiding in 09.

More generally, I'm not thrilled by Kirk showing up but I'm at least willing to give the actor more than one episode in an alternate timeline before I start my #notmyKirk outrage campaign. Call me crazy.

SolarisOne and Cyrus like this.
  19. C.E. Evans

C.E. Evans Admiral Admiral

I remember reading somewhere that Pine was inspired more by Harrison Ford's Han Solo in his take on Kirk. In hindsight, his Kirk did have a roguish and slightly outsider quality even after three years at Starfleet Academy, IMO...

20. mattman8907

mattman8907 Commodore Commodore

Yeah I read that too and you can see it in his portrayal in the first two films.

Deledrius and C.E. Evans like this.