Paramount/JJ trying another Trek movie (that will probably never get made).

Discussion in 'Future of Trek' started by StCoop, Mar 4, 2021.

1. CorporalClegg

CorporalClegg Fleet Admiral Admiral

There is no "magic pill" for a Star Trek film to be successful. It just needs to be good. And the answer to the aged-old "Why wasn't [blank] more successful?" is almost always because it wasn't as good as you think it is.

Appeals to popularity should always be avoided, of course. But as a baseline usually stuff that's popular is popular because it's good. And if something is good is becomes popular. (And no, this is not at all saying that there's any direct correlation between quality and box office or that the adjusted box office list and 'best film of all time' list should be one in the same.)

To wit TVH, FC, and Oh-Nine are the three best Star Trek films. So much so, that I could in another time and place - provided the will and care - make a pretty substantial objective argument for each -- and this with the understanding that I don't even really like FC all that much and TVH is probably my third-favorite TOS film.

If we want to get into the greater Star Trek success as a film franchise, well then it's a issue of consistency and trend. (I.e. the odd-even thing.)

The popularity of comic movies didn't just happen. Superman was a big deal. But it's follow-up was weak and all other attempts at a superhero movie at the time were shit. Batman was an even bigger deal (The biggest of its time.) But it's follow up was even weaker and the other attempts at a superhero movie at the time were also shit.

But then you had X-Men and Spidey. Two solid movies in a row. More importantly, however, each had a sequel that was substantially better. And they were soon followed by Begins and Ironman. So within the span of about a half a decade, you had a very solid trend of six films.

Star Wars is a cultural phenomenon that no one can really account for beyond "right place, right time". But the reason why Star Wars is the biggest IP in the world is because that phenomenon was followed by one of the best films of all time. Had Empire been -say- Clones quality, then Star Wars would just be that thing that happened that time and Gina Carano would be nothing more than a random crazy D-tier actor on Twitter.

Had Beyond been the follow up Kelvin film (as is), I think the current climate of the franchise would look substantially different. Though I suppose the "weakness" of the latter two Kelvin films has a lot to do with the lethargic apathy of a studio circling the drain as their actual quality. (Though ID Is pretty mediocre film, even if I do like it better than most.)

As for Yeoh, the anecdotal bias here is unbelievable. (Actually, I totally believe it.) "I've never heard of her." isn't an argument. There exist people in the world who've never heard of Michael Jackson or Princess Diana. And they're probably the two most universally recognized humans after that JC fellow.

Someone has already posted the best of her credits, which speaks for itself. And I can say with good confidence that significantly more people in North America know who she is than don't. But across China and most of Eastern Asia, Michelle Yeoh is a fucking icon. In fact, across all eight billion peeps, Yeoh is probably the most recognized figure in franchise history.

And it's pretty much a given that whatever from the post-COVID industry takes, it's going to need the Asian markets more than ever.

LizStargaryen and Tim Thomason like this.
  2. Peach Wookiee

Peach Wookiee Cuddly Mod of Doom Moderator

Moved to Future of Trek!

Markonian likes this.
  3. Khan 2.0

Khan 2.0 Commodore Commodore

1st ive ever heard of Superman II being described as a weak follow up. the internet never fails to give surprises.. even after 20+years!

4. Tim Thomason

Tim Thomason Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Superman II is a pretty good movie, but I will "II" the opinion of it being weaker than Superman: The Movie. The amount of awards its won and its general reception all seem to be way higher. I have very rarely heard the opinion of the second being greater than the first in this instance.

5. WarpFactorZ

WarpFactorZ Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

It's extremely rare for any sequel to outdo its predecessor. Superman II suffered that inevitable drop in reception that did many others did, but it was not that bad a movie. Keep in mind that Superman and Superman II were originally part of the same script. It was the Hackensack missile that ruptured the Phantom Zone in the original treatment, not the Eiffel Tower elevator. In my book, Superman and Superman II pair just as well as Rocky and Rocky II (which were also originally one script).

Also, S-II has that great cathartic scene at the end where Clark goes back to the truck stop for no other reason than to beat the shit out of the bully. That reveals quite a darkness to the character that's in opposition to his otherwise noble and kind facade.

Last edited: Mar 8, 2021
    Tim Thomason likes this.
  6. Vger23

Vger23 Vice Admiral Admiral

I love almost all the Star Trek movies. I loved the Kelvin films.

But, honestly...I wish they’d just drop this. This is becoming worse than Van Halen with lead singers and the endless production hell of the rumored Logan’s Run remake. It’s just embarrassing now.

Richard S. Ta likes this.
  7. fireproof78

fireproof78 Fleet Admiral Admiral

Do we know it's a Kelvin film? I mean, I hope so. But not sure how embarrassing it is when they haven't decided what movie they want it seems. :shrug:

jackoverfull likes this.
  8. Serveaux

Serveaux Fleet Admiral Premium Member

Superman II wasn't a very good movie. "Weak follow-up" seems like a kind way to put it, yeah.

I'm all for another movie with Pine and Quinto and that crew. Enjoyed the last three quite a bit.

9. WarpFactorZ

WarpFactorZ Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

The article says Bad Robot is producing the film, so it seems likely... but Pine and Saldana have significantly grown in asking price since Beyond, so something will have to give.

10. fireproof78

fireproof78 Fleet Admiral Admiral

That still assumes much. I mean, I want the Kelvin universe to continue but it's no guarantee.

11. jackoverfull

jackoverfull Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

no idea about Saldana, but I seem to remember that one or two months ago Pine and the studios had finally worked out a new contract.

12. The Old Mixer

The Old Mixer Mih ssim, mih ssim, nam, daed si Xim. Moderator

Superman II is a mess because of the director switch and partial rescripting/reshooting.

13. Tim Thomason

Tim Thomason Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

There was rumors (from a vague Chris Pine statement in August) of a potential Star Trek: Discovery movie. That might be this project, since we know nothing of the cast, plot or setting of this film. We don't even know if it's theatrical or streaming or even TV airing only. Just that it's an "original movie" being written from an idea by a writer previously known for her involvement in Discovery and Short Treks.

It being produced by Abrams' Bad Robot, and not Kurtzman's Secret Hideout is the only indication of it possibly being on a level with the Kelvin films. Vazquez has never written a movie before. She's a veteran TV writer and producer through and through, from Prison Break to Nikita to Once Upon a Time to Runaways and many others. This makes me think that she's not being tapped for a feature film exactly, but something on the level of a TV movie.

Markonian likes this.
  14. F. King Daniel

F. King Daniel Fleet Admiral Admiral

I'm all for some Long Treks.

15. Bry_Sinclair

Bry_Sinclair Vice Admiral Admiral

This idea has just popped into my head, but if they can't get Pine, Qunito, etc to sign on for another film, then why not have Will Decker take command of the NuE-A, they could have Ilia and Saavik (or maybe even make Xon canon) and any of the cast that wanted to return, as well as create new characters.

Granted might not have the character appeal or familiarity of Kirk, Spock and McCoy, but it would be a fun way to go, rather than recasting and/or revamping once again.

danielshock and Khan 2.0 like this.
  16. Trekker09

Trekker09 Captain Captain

I like the idea of a sequel to TMP with Stephen Collins (though he has had his problems) and Ilia - Persis Khambatta is long gone, but maybe someone like Anya Taylor -Joy could replace her...and Robin Curtis was great if she were available. Never did know what supposedly happened after the joining with V'ger...

17. Amasov

Amasov Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I see no reason why they can't develop Star Trek films/mini-series/limited series for Paramount's streaming service.

18. jackoverfull

jackoverfull Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Main reason so far would have been the costs involved in building detailed sets for one off productions, but now that they are moving to virtual sets everything is possible.

19. CorporalClegg

CorporalClegg Fleet Admiral Admiral

Recasting is really the only way they'd ever go.

But if they did make character changes, it would be Picard, Data, and maybe POC Seven.

As for time/canon inconsistencies, chalk it up to "different universe." 99 out of 100 people couldn't tell you the time difference between Kirk and Picard. And 99 out of 100 of those who can don't give a shit.

20. Tracer Bullet

Tracer Bullet Lieutenant Commander Red Shirt

Why would Chris Pine know anything about a Discovery movie?

Tim Thomason likes this.