Orci strikes back

Discussion in 'Star Trek Movies: Kelvin Universe' started by Mountie1988, Sep 6, 2013.

1. JarodRussell

JarodRussell Vice Admiral Admiral

There's that thought he lived out his speculum obsession with Seven of Nine.

2. Sindatur

Sindatur The Gray Owl Wizard Admiral

Gives a whole new twist on that old joke with the punch line "If you help me find my car keys, we can drive out of here together"

3. Khan444

Khan444 Lieutenant Commander Red Shirt

I actually understand Orci's frustrations. It must be annoying to constantly hear, from SOME fans anyway, how you "ruined" Star Trek. I don't even think that the majority of Star Trek fans feel this way, just a very vocal minority. Star Trek was DEAD for a decade before JJ and co came along, its last TV show was cancelled and Nemesis bombed, no one wanted to touch it. Not only did JJ, Orci, etc resurrect the franchise, but they made millions of NEW people into Star Trek fans. I'd say that they been pretty successful. When I heard that that one convention voted STID as THE WORST Star Trek movie ever, I laughed at how absurd it was. STID was worse than Nemesis, worse than Insurrection, worse than Generations, worse than The Final Frontier, give me a break. I do think that Orci could have chosen his words more carefully and been more diplomatic, but I understand the sentiment.

4. F. King Daniel

F. King Daniel Fleet Admiral Admiral

^That was a poll of 100 fans at a convention with 15,000+ attendees. Shampoo commercials have bigger sample groups.

5. Khan444

That's why I said it was a vocal minority, but it can be annoying nonetheless.

6. JarodRussell

JarodRussell Vice Admiral Admiral

Btw, here's the result of the polls here so far:

1. Star Trek II: The Wrath of Khan
    2. Star Trek VI: The Undiscovered Country
    3. Star Trek: First Contact
    4. Star Trek IV: The Voyage Home
    5. Star Trek
    6. Star Trek Into Darkness
    7. Star Trek III: The Search For Spock
    8. Star Trek: The Motion Picture
    9. Galaxy Quest
    10. Star Trek Generations
    11. Star Trek V: The Final Frontier
    12. Star Trek: Insurrection
    13. Star Trek Nemesis

And only 20% don't want the Prime timeline back. 50% want it back and 24% don't care if it came back or not.

7. suarezguy

suarezguy Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

You'll get strong criticism when you work on any sequel to or adaptation of a popular work.

Would you be less understanding of Orci's frustrations and feel the disappointed fans were less annoying if they were in the majority?

8. Awesome Possum

Awesome Possum Moddin' Admiral

I would be if their argument didn't basically boil down to "it's different than what I'm used to so I don't like it".

9. Khan444

No, I'd still disagree with the criticism even if it was the majority opinion, I like JJ's Star Trek. Like Awesome Possum said, a lot of the criticism essentially boils down to "its not my Star Trek" or "its not the Star Trek that I want, so it sucks and JJ has ruined the franchise."

10. Commishsleer

Commishsleer Commodore Commodore

Who know if they've ruined the franchise? I think that Lost in Space movie ruined that franchise.
    Still I think Star Trek is stronger than that.

We really won't find out for a while whether JJ Trek has revived or buried the franchise. But I think it was always Abrams intention to be successful and to pull in more fans. So whether you like what he's done or not his intentions were to make a good movie that was true to a lot of the Star Trek themes with a modern twist IMO.

11. Khan444

Which he has done, in my opinion. I'd love it if there was a TV show running parallel to the films. The show could do the more hardcore sci-fi stuff, while the films could be more mainstream. That's how Star Trek has worked in the past. I heard that JJ wanted to make a TV show, but that Paramount won't greenlight it.

12. Locutus of Bored

Locutus of Bored Yo, Dawg! I Heard You Like Avatars... In Memoriam

Regardless of how bad the movie was, how do you "ruin" a franchise that hadn't been on the air in thirty years before the movie came out and whose only spin-off up to that point was a failed Saturday morning cartoon pilot in 1972? If anything, you could argue that the movie possibly helped with creating interest in rebooting the TV series in 2003, but unfortunately that pilot wasn't picked up either (which had nothing to do with the movie).

13. Amaris

Amaris Fleet Admiral Admiral

It's probably up to CBS, and they don't look interested in a series.

14. Commishsleer

Commishsleer Commodore Commodore

Yes probably a bit of hyperbole there. Maybe I should have said there was probably a lost opportunity there. TV series and movies have a lot of other factors involved.

If the Lost In Space movie had been a greater success then logically you might think there was a greater chance of rebooting a TV series or at least another movie.

I'm also thinking about the Thunderbirds movie. Surely if that had been better received they might have done something about the Thunderbirds.

15. Awesome Possum

Awesome Possum Moddin' Admiral

Maybe people just don't respond to some things. Lost in Space is best known as the goofy old show where a mincing pedophile would insult a robot. The movie is about space spiders, time bubbles and something vague about families.

Star Trek is best known as the show where Kirk seduces women, Spock is smart and they fight bad guys in space. The movie reproduced that and told a decent story as well.

16. thumbtack

thumbtack Commodore Commodore

I don't know if that's true, but a semi reliable blog had said Zack Stentz and Ashley Miller were quickly dismissed from Star Trek 3 after proposing a story that took place partly in the Prime universe.

I think Paramount wants what it wants, and Abrams was never given carte blanche to do anything he pleased. I can recall that he wanted to destroy an older Enterprise and Paramount made him change it to the Kelvin, so we know they have the last, and possibly first, word.

The notion of the all-powerful Abrams doing anything he wants with Star Trek is a myth.

17. M'Sharak

M'Sharak Definitely Herbert. Maybe. Moderator

Myths do tend to play better, though, when the monsters are truly monstrous and may commit their foul deeds sans the need for prior studio approval.

18. F. King Daniel

F. King Daniel Fleet Admiral Admiral

Link, please?

19. Sindatur

Sindatur The Gray Owl Wizard Admiral

Or if not Link, at least Zelda ;)

Hmmmm...Archer's NX-01 Enterprise would be the only prior one we'd recognize, and it would long since be in mothballs. Plus with all the slanders thrown at Abrams for wanting to piss off the fans, why would he fire someone for suggesting something that would piss off those fans? It really is amazing the lengths that people will go to to put Abrams in a bad light. One would think, if he went to the trouble of hiring someone, he wouldn't fire them for coming up with a proposal he didn't want, he'd merely tell them to try again, and probably give them a direction to go in.

20. Ryan Thomas Riddle

Ryan Thomas Riddle Vice Admiral Admiral