Ongoing Community Discussion Thread

Discussion in 'TV & Media' started by Admiral_Young, Jan 21, 2011.

1. Admiral_Young

Admiral_Young Fleet Admiral Admiral

I might as well toss my two cents in...I'm not shocked by the cancellation as this has seemed inevitable for at least the past two seasons. I still remember being drawn to the series in the first place by the season one finale...and was just pulled into the show with the Annie/Jeff/Britta triangle tease. Then I soon realized just what a brilliant show this was and what Harmon and his writers were doing with it.

I have fallen behind in my viewing...will catch up in the summer...it kind of started off as a summer catch up show for me in the first place.

Have enjoyed the discussion over the years with you guys...even the Britta'ing parts...even though I've not always participated on a regular basis. This was unique and special show to me. Apologies for the sappy post but I felt like posting something.

2. AgentCoop

AgentCoop Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

^So you still have Community episodes you haven't seen yet? Now I'm jealous. *sigh*

3. JirinPanthosa

JirinPanthosa Admiral Admiral

I first saw the pilot when it aired but then I didn't come back to it again until the start of the second run. During the episode I actually thought they were adding the Jack Black character to the cast and rolling my eyes, then when it turned out it was really a parody of shows that add 'The new wacky character' to the formula the show won me over forever.

And then the paintball episode came along and all bets were off.

4. tighr

tighr Commodore Commodore

Paintball, Blanket Fort, and L&O episodes were some of the best comedy of all time.

5. gblews

gblews Vice Admiral Admiral

The episode that got me interested was the Halloween Zombie episode. I had not even sampled the show before that mainly because I so despised Chevy Chase. I had wonered why this rather obscure sitcom had a thread that popped up on the first page here so regularly. Then I knew, this was something really differnt.

Troy's 21st birthday episode with Annie creating a personality to match the girl on her fake I.D. drew me in further and the paintball episode cemented it. The Ken Burnsian blanket/pillow war dosumentary, the Law and Order episode...pure genius.

Not only was it a true valentine to the nerd community, it was the was the most unique sitcom since Seinfeld.

6. Aldo

Aldo Admiral Admiral

There's a few season 4 episodes I haven't seen yet. Are you jealous of me? ;)

7. JirinPanthosa

So I'm watching the pilot of Rick & Morty.

It's funny and all, it kind of reminds me of why Family Guy used to be funny a long time ago. But I'm not sure I can aesthetically get past the green vomit spittle perpetually on Rick's lower lip.

8. gblews

gblews Vice Admiral Admiral

Rick gets toned down a bit in that respect after a couple of episodes. Keep watchin.

9. AgentCoop

Yep. Season 4 was obviously not as good as the others, but it was far from terrible. Community at it's worst was still better than most other shows at their best.

10. JirinPanthosa

Yeah, but most network sitcoms are borderline unwatchable at their best.

Community even when it gets silly is emotionally sincere, and season 4 didn't have that for the most part.

11. tighr

tighr Commodore Commodore

So I saw one episode, it was on some kind of space station with a holodeck or something like that (David Cross did a voice). I wonder if that wasn't really a good episode to start with, because it came across as disturbing. So then I went and looked up the original pilot or source, and it amped up the disturbing factor to +11. So, did I just get a bad impression of this show?

12. Guy Gardener

Guy Gardener Fleet Admiral Admiral

Stick with it.

As clever as is disgusting.

Season one is 11 episodes.

Effortless.

And it might not even get renewed.

13. the G-man

the G-man Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I hate most network sitcoms so I'm with you that saying "[x] is better than 90% of what's on TV" is a poor defense of anything (see, e.g., the past ten years of Simpsons).

That being said, while I didn't love Season 4, I found it mostly enjoyable.

14. The Borgified Corpse

The Borgified Corpse Admiral Admiral

Ouch! Forgotten already? You were just down ther
    The 1st half of Season 4 was kinda crappy (apart from "Conventions of Space & Time"). But I loved the 2nd half of it, from about "Herstory of Dance" onwards. In particular, "Basic Human Anatomy" would definately be on my list of all-time favorites.

"Routine light switch check."
    "That is not a thing!":lol:

I'm trying to think what my top 10 favorites would be. It's kinda hard to judge accurately sometimes because it's so hard to compare the extreme wackiness of Season 3, where practically every single episode was a pastiche of something, vs. Season 1, when it was largely just a more-pop-culture-savvy-than-usual single-camera sitcom. Probably:

1. "Advanced Dungeons & Dragons"
    2. "Digital Estate Planning"
    3. "Basic Lupine Urology"
    4. "Pillows & Blankets"
    5. "Basic Human Anatomy"
    6. "Regional Holiday Music"
    7. "Remedial Chaos Theory"
    8. "Horror Fiction in Seven Spooky Steps"
    9. "Modern Warfare"
    10. "Introduction to Finality" (mostly for Troy's duel in the Sun Chamber.)

15. The Borgified Corpse

The Borgified Corpse Admiral Admiral

Ouch! Forgotten already? You were just down ther
    And even then, I feel really bad for leaving out some other great treasures, like "Accounting for Lawyers," "Basic Rocket Science," "Cooperative Caligraphy," "Conspiracy Theories & Interior Design," "Celbrity Pharmacology," "Paradigms of Human Memory," "Geography of Global Conflict," "Studies in Modern Movement," "Documentary Filmmaking: Redux" (so much funner if you've actually seen Hears of Darkness)... [Trails off because I realized I'm about to name nearly half of the entire series!]

16. AgentCoop

^I've been trying to do the same thing, and keep running into the same problem. The show just has such a high percentage of good-to-great episodes, that whittling it down to a top ten is really hard. I know "Cooperative Calligraphy", "Contemporary American Poultry", "Paradigms Of Human Memory", "Remedial Chaos Theory" and "Basic Rocket Science" all rank very high on my list, but picking favorites is actually really difficult.

17. Admiral_Young

Admiral_Young Fleet Admiral Admiral

^ I have the back half of season four and most of this past season to still get through, so quite a number before I complete the show.

18. bigdaddy

bigdaddy Vice Admiral Admiral

Last edited: May 29, 2014
  19. doubleohfive

doubleohfive Fleet Admiral

It's just rumors now, but it's still a sign that there's some interest in the series continuing. I've made my peace with the show ending if it absolutely has to, but if there's some way to snatch it from the jaws of cancellation one more time, I'm all for it.

20. Yoda

Yoda Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

If Hulu gives us a season 6, I'll give Hulu money.